PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake repair

tac911t
04-30-2004, 11:24 AM
On the way back from Summit Point this past weekend, I may have cooked my trailer brakes, between trying to control the trailer when swaying and using the brakes on a steep downhill grade. After the downhill grade, when the brakes are applied, the trail shakes and shutters.

I removed one of the brake drums and looked at the shoes and bearings. The shoes still have material, would they have gotten glazed, if so, can the glaze be removed?
Could the electric control inside the brake drum have overheated? Other things to check?

Thanks,

Todd

lobster
04-30-2004, 10:17 PM
911 sounds like you may have warped the drums... and glazed the linings. Try this take a poket screwdriver w/ two fingers scratch it acroos the shoes towards you if its like glass you glazed the shoes if it tears a little line then you did not. The drums most likley need to be turned but ck for contamanation Glenn

tac911t
05-05-2004, 05:21 PM
I did get the brake drums turned, replaced the wheel bearings and regreased the hubs. Trailer brakes smoothly, and I am now ready for the tow to VIR! Thanks for the suggestions.

Todd

lobster
05-05-2004, 10:37 PM
Todd, Glad I was able to help! Glenn