PDA

View Full Version : anyone use Agip motor oil???

stefand1234
04-29-2004, 09:05 PM
When I was very young, I remember being at the Lime rock vintage races, and someone gave me 2 bumper sticker both said "My Car Loves Agip motor oils". One went on my bike, and the other went on my bedroom door. Now that I am older and going to race I want to use Agip oils but is it worth the price or should I go worth Mobile 1. Am I paying for a name or and I paying for a great Oil?????

jc836
04-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Agip is a well respected name in Europe. They have a lock on Ferrari if that means anything. Shell and Exxon/Mobil are also big players over there. The reality is that a high quality Dino oil is just that-it is the additive package that makes each brand a little different. If you use Mobil 1 synthetic you will protect your engine as well or better than another brand. This is also true for Dino oils. We run Pennzoil in our cars and it works well. Good luck with your plans. Race safe.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

JohnRW
04-30-2004, 10:57 AM
As the owner of a boatload of Eye-Tal-Yan motorcycles, I was once partially obsessesed with using Agip oils. I got over it.

The stuff is really hard to find, and excessively expensive. It's just oil....dead dinosaurs...or dead synthetic dinosaurs. I now use Pep Boys synthetic, since I'm pretty sure that Manny, Moe and Jack aren't out milking their own dinosaurs but are buying it from Valvolene or Mobil or whoever (maybe even Agip !).

But...Agip stickers still look great on red bodywork.

lateapex911
04-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Mobil1 is certainly bettre for most applications....and the sticker looks ok on some cars as well.

I am surprised that Ferrari used Agip...id that official??

Does Agip have a syn?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

MarkL
04-30-2004, 10:00 PM
It's just oil....dead dinosaurs...or dead synthetic dinosaurs.

Actully, technically, there are no dead dinosaurs in oil ( or oll as it is pernaounc't in Texas). It's mostly pressure cooked invertebrates called trilobites, and tube worms, 'n oysters 'n such thangs as that! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Greg Amy
04-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Where's the dang marine biologists when you REALLY need 'em???

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

PDoane
05-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Agip does have a 10W-60 synthetic that I have been using just because it offers the widest rating band (which is a bad thing for dino oil, but I figure is good for synthetic).

Here in the Northeast, you can get some pretty cold race morning start-ups and the 60 rating bodes well for high temp engine life.

Peter

JohnRW
05-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
Does Agip have a syn?

"Agip Sint 2000", in a variety of weights (if you can find it).