PDA

View Full Version : Solo 2

Simon
03-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Hey,

Finally got the Civic ready to race and raced it. We drove the car from Athens to Atlanta (Turner Field). It did great! So we made it and I did my first run, it was a lot of fun. It was easy to drive, and easy to go fast in, a lot funner then a kart. My first run was slow, a 60 second time. Getting ready for my second run a Integra Type R crashed into a cement wall, the track had a very fast downhill into a sharp corner, the car spun into the wall next to the corner. So there was an hour long break, changing the track and all that. When I started my car back up, it sounded bad!!!! It was mis-firing and was shaking very bad. I pulled up to the line and couldnt get the revs up, I shifted to second and it barley moved. So I finished the run it was like a 75 or something and we looked under the hood, couldnt fix it. I decided to quit so I wouldnt risk anything else. We pulled it back to the paddock and I was running a Supertrapp. We took it off, started it up and it sounded fine. I was running four disc. We added two more for the way home, it only shook a little bit on the way home, but never had a serious problem. Could it be that Hondas dont like that much back pressure or is it something different? I am going to change the plugs, plug wires, oil and all that and test drive it with all the disc on. Anyway I finished fourth, one car didnt start and the other got all DNF's, so at least I was not last. Hopefully I can get it running good again. Thanks!

Simon
www.simontibbett.evaluand.com (http://www.simontibbett.evaluand.com)

joeg
03-18-2004, 08:55 AM
4 discs in a supertrapp is literally a cork up its b**t.

The plates can also "coke-up" if the car burns a little oil or is running too rich, further increasing the plug effect.

I used to run a minimum of 14 plates to avoid these issues.

122 Vega
03-18-2004, 12:10 PM
I wonder why there was a concrete wall that close to a Solo 2 course. The Rulebook states that any turns have to be over 50 feet from any stationary objects. Sounds like a poor course design.

Good job though, glad you had fun.

I ran a Supertrapp on my Cosworth for awhile, but even with 12-18 discs, I still think it was a cork. I ended up switching to a Dynomax Ultraflow and really noticed a gain, especially in the upper rpms.

Britt

------------------
12 weeks till graduation!

Vintage IMSA Cosworth Vega

Greg Gauper
03-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Is this an older (84-87) carbed Civic/CRX?

Before I got into racing, I ran my old 84 CRX in a couple of Solos. The car seemed sensative to vapor lock. You would do a run and it would run fine. Pull in line with the motor running and wait for your next run and when it came time to go the car would die and run crummy. Let everything cool off and it ran great. Never had this problem in racing. Popping the hood between runs and shutting off the car seemed to help. I never was able to duplicate the problem in day to day street driving i.e. stuck in traffic jam car would run fine. There were a few other CRX's that had the same problem so it wasn't just me.

Other problem area (this did occur in racing) is the stock OEM plug wires. They seem to get flakey after 2-3 years and get sensative to high underhood temps. The first year I ran SS with my CRX, I still had the stock plug wires. 3/4 thru a race at IRP on a very hot day, the car started to develope an high speed miss. Finished the race, packed up the car and drove home and the car ran fine. Next race, did the same thing. New plug wires took care of the problem.

Something else to check is your fuel filters. There are two. A metal inline filter in the line between the fuel pump and the carb and a plastic one back at the tank. The one at the tank gets neglected because it's hard to get to. It's possible your first solo run stirred up a lot of crud in the tank and now you aren't getting a good fuel supply.

Here's a tip... install a piece of straight hose in place of the rear plastic filter, and move that filter to the engine bay so it is more accessible and visible. You can just snip the fuel line where it exits the firewall going to the fuel pump and put the filter there (Don't snip the return line!! The suction line is the larger of the two). That's a suction line so there is no pressure, so risk of leakage is minimal. Just let the filter hang from the hose, it doesn't weigh much. Raced with that set up for years with no problem.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited March 18, 2004).]

Simon
03-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Hey,

Ok thanks! My car is an 89 fuel injected. I ran that few disc to keep noise down driving it there, I guess I will run all the disc or run a glass pack. Thanks!

Simon

Greg Gauper
03-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Okay, its injected.

Ignore the vapor lock suggestion. The plug wire and fuel filter suggestions still apply.

Some of those cars are sensative to fuel level in the tank and have pick-up problems. Try running with the tank full or no less than 3/4 full.

Simon
03-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey,

Ok, I took the spark plugs off and they were wet with gas.....what does this mean? Could my fuel injection be messed up overall? Thanks!

Simon

cashmo
03-27-2004, 11:25 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">The Rulebook states that any turns have to be over 50 feet from any stationary objects.</font>

FYI, from the 2004 Solo Rule book...

2.1.C. The course boundary shall not normally pass closer than 25 feet from solid objects.

Jeff

Simon
04-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Hey,

I saw the rules too on tracks but it may have been over that, the car slid quite a bit. Also my car is up and running fine again, June I get to run at Road Atlanta in the HPDE in Grayson Upchurch's SSC Neon, I just need a little bit more time on my car before it is track worthy http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

lateapex911
04-11-2004, 01:41 AM
That is very cool Simon! When's he gonna let you shoe his E Prep car around??

(I know guys who would pay you big $ to have a big "off" with that car!)

Actually, consider it an honor to be allowed that kind of ride at a track like that!

heve fun and keep up the good work!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Simon
04-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Hey,

Actually his EP 240z is for sale http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Thanks!

Simon