PDA

View Full Version : Completed my first track day!!!!!!

THawkbh
04-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Well yesterday(4/3), I attended the SCDA event at LRP. It was my first time on any race track. It was a great day. Being that I was the youngest driver there(17), everyone seemed to know who I was. I was driving the red 911SC. I think I did pretty well. My best time of the first session was a 1:32, and by the third session, I was down to 1:17. The instructors were great. Pretty soon, I'll be joining you guys in the ITS class in the RX-7.

m glassburner
04-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Congrats!!! Now your hooked!! Good luck for the rest of the season! m glass. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by m glassburner (edited April 04, 2004).]

ITSRX7
04-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by THawkbh:
Well yesterday(4/3), I attended the SCDA event at LRP. It was my first time on any race track. It was a great day. Being that I was the youngest driver there(17), everyone seemed to know who I was. I was driving the red 911SC. I think I did pretty well. My best time of the first session was a 1:32, and by the third session, I was down to 1:17. The instructors were great. Pretty soon, I'll be joining you guys in the ITS class in the RX-7.

Taking the school at NHIS?

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

THawkbh
04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ITSRX7:
Taking the school at NHIS?

AB

No, NHIS is a really long haul for us. I think I'll be staying at Lime Rock for the first year or two, but there have been some talks of me doing an enduro with 3 other drivers at Pocono. I doubt that will happen anytime soon though.

------------------
Drew
17 years old
Wyndenup Racing
ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
Historic '76 Porsche 914-6 #49 - Team Owner

THawkbh
04-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Just curious, what are your guys' general lap times for LRP?

------------------
Drew
17 years old
Wyndenup Racing
ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
Historic '76 Porsche 914-6 #49 - Team Owner

ITSRX7
04-05-2004, 09:36 PM
ITS laps LRP in the mid 1:01's at the front. A whole pile of drivers in the LOW 1:02's.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

lateapex911
04-05-2004, 09:39 PM
You don't want to know! Sheesh..... those ITS guys are hauling the mail these days...1:01s and 1:02s are the game.

At a test day Brian Reilly dragged me over to tell me he had just run a 1:00.05. (In his old RX-7. He now has an RX-8)

Give it time and the lap times will come. Big chuncks at first, then steadily bit by bit. Just running with the race group will suck you around faster than you can imagine!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

THawkbh
04-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:

those ITS guys are hauling the mail these days...1:01s and 1:02s are the game.

Oh man, I guess I got ALOT of work to do. I hope your right about everyone pushing me to go faster.

racer-025
04-05-2004, 10:05 PM
I think EXTREMELY fast ITA cars are doing LRP in mid to high 1:02's. Crazy fast for an ITA car!

JLawton
04-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Don't EVEN try to keep up with the front of the pack in ITS. Some VERY fast drivers and cars. Drive your line, watch your mirrors, ask a lot of questions and be patient.

emwavey
04-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Yes definitely be patient. One of the track day folks I run with do not time laps simply because they want folks concentrating on their lines, braking points, technique, and not worrying about times.

If you get the car in the right place, speed will come... or something like that.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing your experience!

THawkbh
04-07-2004, 11:30 PM
This year, I'll hang back and work on my lines, and hopefully finish both races so I can get my liscense, but next year I think I will try to improve lap times alot more. I'm not really in this to hang out around mid pack, but I don't want to do anything stupid. The instructors all said I was very smooth on the track, so don't be worried about runnin with me. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif I don't go dive-bombing into turns or anything.

------------------
Drew
18 years old
Wyndenup Racing
ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
Historic '76 Porsche 914-6 #49

04-08-2004, 12:55 AM
welcome to the club Drew

Daryl

RSTPerformance
04-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the IT world of racing http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif!!!

I think one of the biggest things complained about in a race (by new and old drivers) are the issues that occur when someone is being lapped. I post this not to be a bully, or anything, but to let you know what to expect in your first couple races till you get up to speed. I certainly remind myself of this advice every race especially when I have car troubles.

My advice running with this group is to stay predictable. Drive your line but be aware of your surroundings. If someone is beside you give him or her room, most of us are not scared to go two wide in any turn (even the dreadful downhill at Lime Rock). It seams like yesterday I remember being lapped at least once by the faster ITS and ITB cars. Now I am lucky enough to have progressed to being able to do some lapping, so I have seen both sides of the “story.”

With some people it seems to be an issue, who has right of way etc. I don't want to start that debate; just look in archives and you should find tons of arguments!!! I just wanted you to know that everyone in the group is interested in very close but safe competition (we all like to bring our cars home in one piece). On the same hand people do take what some might call risks and you should not be surprised if you see someone passes you in any turn or if they expect you to go 2 wide on any turn especially at Lime Rock. You can run 2 lines in every turn at Lime Rock and you can pass people on the inside line or the outside line... I guess I just want you to expect that and not be surprised.

Also I want you to know that we welcome you with open arms, most of us are good friends and we all need to trust each other on the track. If you have any problems or you need help please feel free to stop over and visit the Audi camp!!!

Raymond Blethen
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)

Oh: PS: I would suggest you run the “Cheep Date” event at NHIS towards the end of the year. This event is a great event. The weekend includes two races and generally costs less than a normal 1-race weekend.

PSS: 1 bit more of advice... 99% of the people at the track will help you with anything, don't be afraid to ask!!!

------------------
http://rstperformance.bizland.com/rstsignature.jpg
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)
1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships

jcmotorsports
04-08-2004, 12:36 PM
drew
i competed in my first season of wheel to wheel racing last year in an its rx7. if i can help you with anything feel free to ask. i drive the red/white #87
john costello

THawkbh
04-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Raymond, thanks for the heads up. I knew that you guys were agressive racers, but I didn't realize that I have a chance of getting into alot of trouble if I'm not paying extra close attention at all times. Hopefully the two SCCA schools I'm going to in the next 2 months won't be as rough.

------------------
Drew
18 years old
Wyndenup Racing
ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me

gsbaker
04-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Drew,

You are going to love this whole IT thing--serious racers who know how to have fun but never go overboard.

(Except for "grega", whose tag line is, "Never lift".)

Good luck on your first year. Regardless of how it goes, you absolutely must be at the ARRC at Road Atlanta this fall. It's the IT Woodstock.

Gregg

THawkbh
04-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Well that describes me. I'm VERY serious about this, but making sure I am having fun.
Id love to go to RA, but I'm going to be driving soley at LRP for at least the first season.

gsbaker
04-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Drew,

That makes total sense. Going to ARRC as a competitor in your first year is a big bite. But you can still go to ARRC just to see how the hot shoes do it.

Plus, rumor has it there may be a good party working. Some nonsense about motorhomes, hot tubs, umbrella girls, etc.

If you make it, just ask for Jake, aka "Party Central." http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Gregg

ITSRX7
04-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Drew,

I would recommend at least one weekend at NHIS during a Double race. Much more value for your money and more seat time - that is what we all need!

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

dickita15
04-09-2004, 08:18 AM
I would second andy on coming to nhis. lrp is a very cool place but the track is not typical. racing a more technical track like nhis is quite different.
dick

robits325is
04-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Hey Drew,

I was your instructor for the first session - great job. I've seen your posts online - I'm glad you had fun. See you in ITS!!

Rob Driscoll
Auto Technic, LLC.
6 Danbury Road
New Milford, CT. 06776
www.autotechnic.net (http://www.autotechnic.net)

lateapex911
04-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Ummm...thanks Gregg! Better than what you said about GregA! (Don't forget to get the deposit on the Hoo.. er ..."Umbrella" girls in early so we have the best choice for the ARRCs!)

Raymond makes good points....I remember my first race or two. Sheeeesh they came at me so fast I was so busy getting out of the way I never got up to speed! It was crazy! But great! One day, my buddy Kurt Weiss, who was the fast ITA guy then, in his RX-3, slipped under me in Big Bend, and I decided to "step it up" and hang with him. I learned more in the next 6 corners than I had in 30 laps of racing. Watching that RX-3 up close, as it chucked and drifted through the corners was awesome, and I immediately saw he was on a whole 'nuther level! If you can find that guy, you'll learn a lot, and fast!

The jump from lapping days to racing is pretty big.

PS, Drew, if you can clear the time next November, I know somebody would love to have you as crew for the ARRCs......like me! (If Dick ITA15 rejects me!)

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

THawkbh
04-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Rob, are you sponsored by a BMW shop on rt7? I go by there every once and a while and always see the two BMWs in the garage.
Jake, if I can get up to Louden, I'd love to crew for you. The only problem with racing at NHIS is that it is so far for me, and I don't think Bill(Umstead) would want to make the trek. He doesnt even go there. To crew though, I may be able to get up there.
Oh and happy birthday to me. 18 today!
------------------
Drew
18 years old
Wyndenup Racing
ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me

[This message has been edited by THawkbh (edited April 13, 2004).]

gran racing
04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Last year was my first year racing with SCCA (also did EMRA). Previous to club racing, I did SCDA, PDA, ect. Definately different! But doing those events are really, really helpful. You'll find that various instructors may tell you different things. Take the opportunity at HPDEs to try them for yourself and gain more comfort on the track. Don't be afraid to take advantage of having instructors ride with you and ask for lots of help. The more comfortable you can become on the track the better and more you'll enjoy racing.

Have you been to any of the SCCA regional races at LRP? If not, definately go. (There's one on Sat. 5/8)

I would recommend that you continue doing the HPDEs even in addition to SCCA racing. As we all say, seat time is very important. With a HPDE you get what, about 1 1/2 hrs plus seat time? Definately worth it!

As far as times go, that will definately come. When you are behind someone and they are going a bit faster then you, you'll start pushing things a bit more and automatically become faster.

(I too was instructing at the event with my Honda Civic si; also one of the guys that teched your car) If you go to the May SCCA event, stop by and say hi. I'll be driving a yellow ITA honda prelude.

Happy b-day!

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

RSTPerformance
04-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Getting behind someone on the track can make a huge difference... I think that I can drive pretty well, but I don't always feel 100% on game. Last year at Lime Rock during a qualifying nothing was clicking... I was turning horrible lap times and one of those darn (dare I say) ITC CRX's caught me and passed me!!! I followed him for a couple laps and then everything started to click. I like to consider myself a front running ITB car (without the Quaife it is impossible to catch Stephen or Scott Carlson but I can hang with others), and it sure was frustrating to get passed at Lime Rock by an ITC car.

The first time my brother and I raced at Lime Rock Rick Pocock showed us around a few laps (he was driving slow) then he picked up the pace. We learned a ton from that and tried to keep up as he picked up the pace...

My first time racing against the Bildon boys at Pocono I followed one of them in qualifying, learning their driving and where the track went. It was obvious he was the fastest car on the track, and I knew the entire time that I could go a lot faster on the straights... I didn't pass him though and just followed till the last two laps, then I used what I had learned on the infield from him and the straightaway speed of the Audi to pull off my first Pole position ever!!! I was nearly 2 seconds faster that 1 lap I did at 10/10ths. Probably my best race day ever, even though in the race my bro fought back and blew away the ITB field http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Raymond Blethen