PDA

View Full Version : Pocono

Monkeywrench
04-07-2004, 09:00 PM
http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/research/projec...a/monroe/17.htm (http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/research/projects/la/monroe/17.htm)

Well, the NASCAR folks should be happy, but it looks like they are going to get a full dedicated road course, plus more tracks in the infield. What do you guys/gals think of this proposed layout. I personally think it looks neat.

I wasn't sure where to post this, so mods., feel free to move it to wherever you would put a topic like this.

THawkbh
04-08-2004, 05:04 PM
I think I like it.

------------------
Drew
18 years old
Wyndenup Racing
ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
Historic '76 Porsche 914-6 #49

jc836
04-08-2004, 06:37 PM
We go to Pocono at least 1 weekend each year to raod race. Love the place for what it is-a high speed challenge on the Long Course setup. I also have spent time in a SRE Stock Car school there (going again in May). The locale is wonderful the way it is-very quiet in appearance. I do agree that there is an issue with access to the track. However, I am opposed to any development that can impact the ecosystem beyond its current condition. The track at Lowe's/Charlotte is now served by a specific Interchange on I-85. The original intent as I understand it was for the purpose of providing acces to the track and its support facilities. Additionall, the location of the track is also very close to a number of race team shops (Hendrick is within 1 mile or so). The fact is that a Huge Outlet shopping mall now resides on the opposite side of the interchange (x49) at Concord. The requisite hotels are there too along with new eateries. My question is simple-what happens to the local establishments that rely on the track? Pocono is served by a number of very nice/ reasonably priced places to eat and sleep. Getting into the lone fuel dump in Blakeslee is no fun and I don't even try to pull my trailer thru it (chicken).
If Pocono's owners need additional revenue that is certainly understandable. There are other activities of the automotive/karting type there now. Maybe they should consider allowing camping (FEE) for our events. Redoing the roadcourse layout to permit us more fun is good. I want to keep the existing Long Course layout as is-with one exception-repave the infield on both North and South for better entry transitions. My cars take a terrible beating entering South off Long Pond straight.
Thanks for letting me ramble-happy holiday to all.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow