PDA

View Full Version : How do you know you need a dually?

ITSRX7
03-24-2004, 11:37 AM
What kinds of weights are we talking here? If I just want to pull a two car tag I should be ok...right? Gooseneck?

I am looking to go with a F350 Crew cab, 8' box, deisel - but need to know when it's the right thing to do to go DRW.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

JohnRW
03-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Don't know if there is a hard & fast rule about 'when dually is required'. Do you have concerns about tongue weight with the two car tag ? I know that people will recommend a dually when the tag gets really long, so the tail won't wag the dog as much, and then a gooseneck or 5'er for the same reasons. Is it enclosed, or an open 2-car, and what's total length ?

I went to a dually from a 1-ton van chassis when I got uncomfortable with how much the trailer was pushing me around (heavy 24' enclosed) and when I wanted more brakes (tires being an important component of brakes, as you know). Somewhere in my future is a gooseneck or a 5th wheel (crystal ball future, not next week future), so is was sorta considered.

Sometimes "I just wanted one" is a good answer.

Blix
03-24-2004, 05:48 PM
When your gun rack is too wide for a regular one? When you need to move to a different trailer park? When you just MUST HAVE the oversized naked lady mudflaps?

Sorry, i couldn't resist...

Seriously, when I towed a 35 foot gooseneck that was HEAVY I found that the dually really made me much more comfortable than the standard pickup (both Ram 3500s). I'd say, if you're in doubt, get the dually. There is a fair bit more rubber on the ground there to stop, support weight, etc.

Geo
03-25-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by ITSRX7:
I am looking to go with a F350 Crew cab, 8' box, deisel - but need to know when it's the right thing to do to go DRW.

Dude.

We're going to have to make you an honorary Texan.

BTW, I second the gun rack.

When my wife and I owned a Mitsubishi truck I wanted to know if I needed a Katana (sword) rack. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

apr67
03-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Dually puts more tire on the ground. Good for putting down power. Good for stopping. Good for carrying loads.

Dually puts the tires out wider. And we all know 'wider is better'.

Buy a dually and either you or your wife will knock the rear fenders off in a McDonalds or Bank drive through.. Not a question of if, rather it is when.

You can pull a 40,000 trailer with a Chevy Luv. It just wont be fast or safe. The bigger and heavier your tow vehicle, generally the easier the tow is and the safer the whole shebang is.

The flip side is, you have to live with that gas guzzling POS when you are not towing. And that is why I tow with a v6 Dakota!

Alan

whenry
03-25-2004, 04:00 PM
A friend recently purchased a F-350 duelly for his 5th wheel camper. There is a pool for how long it will take before he knocks a fender or mirror off. He's trying to beat the pool by not driving the thing very much. Ahhhh, friendship.
He did let me borrow it to pull a flatbed trailer and deliver a car to Va. It did pull nice but I'd rather have my V-10 Excursion for most things that you do with a tow vehicle.

MarkL
03-25-2004, 09:57 PM
"We're going to have to make you an honorary Texan."

George, y'all talk like y'all are a member of the Old 300.
============================================

I personally think that it would be the size, length, weight, and tongue weight of the trailer. Another factor is how it drives/tows. Not to mention how it fits in your driveway or garage (or barn). Duallies are a pain to use for anything other than towing or hauling.