PDA

View Full Version : What cars have a chance at winning races and/or championship

RSTPerformance
03-04-2004, 11:57 AM
I thought of this question while thinking about the overdogs/underdogs in the debate about the RX-7...

My thought was that ITB seems to be the class least altered and also seems to be the most competitive in regards to make model choices... what are you thoughts on all the classes? Here is my list of the "top dogs."

ITS:
BMW
Datsun
Mazda
Porsche

ITA:
Acura
Honda
Nissan

ITB:
Alfa
Audi (more than 1 model)
BMW (more than 1 model)
Dodge
Fiat
Opal
Saab
Suzuki
Volvo (more than 1 model)
VW (more than 1 model)

ITC:
Datsun
Fiat
Ford
Honda
Renault
VW

maybe others?

Raymond Blethen

Edited my Datson/Datsun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited March 04, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited March 05, 2004).]

zracer22
03-04-2004, 02:45 PM
I can only speak for ITS. If you are talking about cars with equal drivers and equal levels of prep, there is one overdog and all the rest are underdogs.

The E36 is way ahead of all others. Porsche and Mazda are left behind to battle it out with all the rest.

This isn't hard to see. Just take a look at the power to weight ratios using stock HP and SCCA minimum weight. On top of that, look at the superior engineering of the suspension and brakes on the E36. Then add in the gains that can be made with the IT mods to the ECU, exhaust and intake, with the VANOS, a chip in the ECU is much more effective than it is in other cars.

Everyone thought the addition of the 944s would give it some competition, but forget it, I've seen these cars in PCA trim and they are not that much better than the 944.

I do agree with you on ITB. ITB always has competitive racing at the front of the field.

Greg Gauper
03-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Few more for ITC.

I've seen a few quick Fiat X1/9's and Renault's in ITC, so they have potential.

I think a Fiat Spyder has potential in ITB (didn't John Baucom (sp) have one at the ARRC but had teething problems?)

And it's spelled 'Datsun' not 'Datson' http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

joeg
03-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Fiat Spyders are definitely competitive!

whenry
03-04-2004, 04:36 PM
B and C have remained relatively intact and frozen in time in IT. One because few modern cars have the performance potential(or lack thereof) to be classified there and also because IT7 was formed to prevent the fight that probably would have occurred if the world of RX7 had sought to be reclassed to B.(and really, SpecMiata too)
It is part of the problem that no one wants their own little world to be affected by reclassification. IT in my opinion needs a top to bottom revamp of the classes including maybe a ITD(for the non-computer dinosaours). I dont expect it to happen and would anticipate even more spec classes in the future as certain cars are disenfranchised by new entrants.

03-04-2004, 04:48 PM
In ITS, the only one that seems to be closing the gap to the E-36's is possibly the Acura Integra. There has been one here in the DC region showing promise, but, it may also be relegated to running against the "rest of the pack".
The 944's, RX-7's, E-30's and 240Z's are closely packed, with any of them having a chance to win, if it weren't for the E-36's.

[This message has been edited by 2Many Z's (edited March 04, 2004).]

cherokee
03-04-2004, 05:56 PM
ITB/C is working becuase it is frozen in time. What screwed everything up is opening up the ECU's on these cars, that put every carbed car at a disavantage. And it is very hard to tell what kind of gains you are going to get from a computer...some cars respond well some don't.

[This message has been edited by cherokee (edited March 04, 2004).]

Bill Miller
03-04-2004, 06:58 PM
That's pretty much it, there haven't been any new ITB or ITC cars in years, so the classes have been pretty stable.

On a somewhat related note, since the racing season is underway in the SE, how have those new ITB A3 Golfs been doing? Has the BSI car been at the track yet?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

oanglade
03-04-2004, 09:16 PM
If you don't get any answers now, ask again on Monday.

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Sugar Hill, GA

7racing
03-05-2004, 11:36 AM
I remember a Suzuki Swift in ITB a few years ago. Is that still a viable car?

And how about VW in ITA? There have been a few quick ones in the Northeast the last couple of years. Are they still competitive?

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by 7racing (edited March 05, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
03-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Suzuki Swift in ITB ya I would agree to that, but the VW in ITA... I don't think they have a chance, unfortunatly.

Raymond

SamITC85
03-05-2004, 02:51 PM
The VW's are competitive in ITA look at Brian Mushnick, TJ Hannifan, Brian Blizzard, Steve Ohlinger and the other ITA VW drivers who have done real well. Blizzard won the IT Enduro the first year in a Golf, TJ finished in the top ten at the ARRC 2 years ago i believe. Brian is getting his car dialed in and I expect will be fast this year. Ohlinger is always fast at Lime Rock.

------------------
Sam Rolfe
TBR Motorsports
#85 ITC VW Rabbit
#85 GP Scirocco on the way
#11 GP Scirocco on the way

[This message has been edited by SamITC85 (edited March 05, 2004).]

Joe Craven
03-05-2004, 03:30 PM
In ITB

Ford Capri and Pinto 2.0 motors
Datsun 510 II (w/L20) and 200SX (w/z20)