PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stickers

RR
03-04-2004, 04:36 PM
If just removed a bunch of stickers off my car. THere is a gooie dirty sticky stuff left on the car, what will remove this and not kill the paint?

JohnRW
03-04-2004, 04:43 PM
3M (and probably others) make a "adhesive remover". You can find it at all auto paint & body shop supply stores, and even my local NAPA has it.

Smells like tolulene to me, but what do I know...

ddewhurst
03-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Rich, GOOP works well. Ya can get it at Homer & many hardware stores.

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

planet6racing
03-04-2004, 05:12 PM
WD-40 does the trick as well.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Scott Webb
03-04-2004, 06:13 PM
If you find yourself without the aforementioned solvents, sometimes you can use the sticky part of the decal you removed to remove the left-over residue. A quick press-and-pull technique seems to work best.

------------------
Scott Webb
WebbRacing.com (http://www.scottwebb.com)

lateapex911
03-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Using a heat gun in the first place can help some of the time.

GOOF OFF has had some success, and Prep Sol (or any oth the other pre paint degreasers) works some of the time.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Knestis
03-05-2004, 01:15 AM
Ex-sign guy trick...

If you have large areas of adhesive on there, lay cheap non-quilted paper towel on there then soak it with the above-mentioned solvents. (Do this in a cool but well ventilated area so it doesn't flash off quickly and test your remover on the paint first.)

Leave the wet towel on until the glue turns into a snotty consistency then scrape it off with a maxed-out credit card.

Go over it with a rag and more remover and you should be good. If you don't soak-snot-scrape first, you will be there for ages wiping...

K

Quickshoe
03-05-2004, 02:47 AM
I've got to second the wd-40. A little on a rag, minor elbow grease and voila! Wash the painted area with soap and water.

Also works extremely well at removing rubber marks.

joeg
03-05-2004, 08:32 AM
GOOF OFF has had some success, and Prep Sol (or any oth the other pre paint degreasers) works some of the time.

Is Goof Off the same thing as "Goo Gone"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers.

Knestis
03-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Goof Off will attack some paints and plastics...

K

RacerBill
03-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Knestis said: 'then scrape it off with a maxed-out credit card'

I find that old hotel door cards work great, too. You can also use them to remove that frost that is too light for the old ice scrapper, but still takes a few minutes for the defroster!

I also have individual packets of surgical adhesive remover that works great, but that is a personal problem!!!!