PDA

View Full Version : a question about F1 drivers of the past,

greg_umbay
02-22-2004, 06:41 PM
The other day at the local park, I had a conversation with a man (prob late 40's) about motorsports. Our conversation a one point he was telling me about F1 drivers of the 50's were sometimes crossover alpine skiers. He had mentoned that alpine skiers had quick hand eye coordination, and strong necks. All which make for a good F1 driver in the 50's.

Does anyone have any more information about that?

Just wondering.

RSTPerformance
02-22-2004, 07:04 PM
I know a lot of club racers that are/were involved in ski racing. besides the reflexes their are a lot of things that relate such as "the fast line" and things like turn-in, apex, and exits... (genreally you need to "late apex" in ski racing). They are different lines in many cases but understanding that their is a line is a lot more than a lot of people out their can probably comprehend, not to mention racers in both fields have the need for speed and the excitement of being on the edge.

Raymond "x-ski racer" Blethen

Greg Gauper
02-22-2004, 08:18 PM
The Olympic medal winning Mahre (Steve & Phil) brothers did very well in sports car racing.

I believe they were 1st & 3rd at the Runoffs in GT1 in the late 80's/early 90's. They also raced S2000's if memory serves me.

aeronca65t
02-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Olympic Skier, Jean-Claude Killy raced for Porsche in the late '60s. He drove mostly endurance races.
Skier, Billy Kidd also did a bit of road racing.

Turfer
02-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Teo Fabi jumps to mind. I believe he raced downhill for several years before racing cars (F1 and CART).

His brother, I can't remember his name, also skied and raced cars, although not as successful in the cars.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Turfer (edited February 23, 2004).]

JDEllis
02-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Corrado Fabi, I believe.

-jde

------------------
J.D. Ellis
OVR #71 ITS Olds Calais
[email protected]

Blix
02-23-2004, 07:04 PM
I've driven with Jake Burton, and several nameless snowboard racers and they ALL seem to be naturals for road racing/rallying...I think, other than the things stated above, that the amount of time tehy spend driving around in the dark in traction limited situations (snow) probably has ALOT to do with it.

Eric
NER SM #12

Rabbit05
02-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Try skateboarding too...I 've read its the balance "training" that helps the drivers out. Skiing, snowboarding, and skateboarding are good ways of exercise too. Its just the falling that hurts. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

John(I've been sk8ing to long) Rabbit racer