PDA

View Full Version : Open Trailer Question

bldn10
02-14-2004, 07:18 PM
I am shopping for a basic open trailer for a 2nd gen. RX-7. Is there any standard for the amount of dove tail droop? I looked at some today and the wood decks had mitered side rails w/ a good 3" drop over the 2' dove tail, but the metal decked ones were not mitered and had anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5." I'm thinking I need all the droop I can get since I'd rather not have to jack it up in front to get a good angle. Any experiences w/ this?

jc836
02-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Our aluminum full deck trailer has a 4' beavertail and 5' ramps behind that. It is real close for car clearance. We use 2x8x6' boards to gain a little more. Many people feel that 5' ramps are the minimum regardless of the slope of the tail (which is fairly standard so far as I know).

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited February 14, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited February 14, 2004).]

x-ring
02-16-2004, 10:28 AM
I used to use an open trailer, a Load Trail wood deck, that had a two foot long, five inch drop. I always intended to make some longer ramps than the factory suppled but I ran across a smokin' deal on an enclosed so I never did.

In order to load the car (Datsun Z) I would have to drive the truck's rear wheels up on some 4.5 inch thick ramps. Nothing fancy, just three 2x8's screwed together. 2x10 probably would have been beter, but I had the wood from an old waterbed some tenants left when they vacated my rental house.

Ty

MMiskoe
02-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Get a set of oil change ramps to drive the truck on (back wheels). If its a 4x4, 4wd low works really well to creep up on them. Boards are good too as mentioned above, you can tailor them to what ever height you need.

moto62
02-16-2004, 11:59 PM
I've got one of these, ET-15. Paid around $1600 new back in 1999. Should be more than enough to tow your car. I had to add another foot of ramp at the end to load and unload the car. Also, these are extremely noisy trailers with the ramps banging around when in use so I bolt the ramps in. Makes it a lot safer too.
http://www.tptrailersinc.com/OpenCarHauler...onoTrailers.htm (http://www.tptrailersinc.com/OpenCarHaulers/EconoTrailers.htm)
Ray

bldn10
02-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the responses. I know there are all sorts of tricks but the idea is to avoid all of that -just to be able to drive your car onto the trailer w/o crunching the splitter. Yesterday I found a new open deck, diamond plate trailer w/ 4" dovetail drop, 1 brake, 5' slide-in ramps, and new tires and wheels for $1270!

x-ring
02-17-2004, 12:55 PM
That's a heck of a good buy. Metal deck 16 footers around here are closer to $2K.

Ty

badal
02-17-2004, 07:23 PM
BLDN10, where did you get your trailer?

------------------
"Bad" Al Bell
ITC #3 Datsun 510
DC Region MARRS Series