PDA

View Full Version : Convention Notes

Greg Amy
02-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Shamelessly lifted from the Wheel-to-Wheel list. Did anyone from this forum attend and could add relevant notes?

Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:27:09 -0600
Subject: Convention Tidbits (long)

Here's the address for Thursday and Friday's newsletters. It looks like
the Saturday and Sunday editions haven't been posted yet.

http://www.scca.org/news/convention/index.html

Here's a few highlights from those editions:
Saturday -
Rally/Solo Awards:
* Solo Driver of the Year - Matthew Braun, Detroit Region
* Solo Driver of Eminence - John Thomas, Mississippi Region
* Solo Divisional of the Year - Reno Region, NorPac
* Solo Rookie of the Year - Sean Mundis
* RoadRally Region of the Year - Oregon Region
* RoadRally Division of the Year - Northern Pacific
* National Tour Rally of the Year - Rallymaster: Jon Emmons, Land
O'Lakes
Region
* Gervais Award (National Course Rally of the Year) - Steel Cities
Region

Strategic Plans:
Colan Arnold (Solo Events Board), Ralph Kosimedes (Performance Rally Board), Tim Craft (RoadRally Board), and Kurt Weiss (Club Racing Board) presented the results of the Strategic Program Project Plan. These
presentations were an overview of where the programs are today, with a good forward look at where we want to be in about five years. Each program evaluated itself based on input from the members and the members of the program boards looking at the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and
Threats.

The boards operated within the guidelines of the Vision, Mission, and Position Statements given to the by the SCCA Board of Directors:
Vision Statement: To be the premier organizaiton of choice for automotive and motorsports enthusiasts to engage their passion.
Mission Statement: To consistently provide fun, fair, and safe activites through diverse opportunities for automotive and motorsports enthusiasts.
Position Statement: The Sports Car Club of America is the leading membership organization providing safe, diverse, and satisfying participation opportunities for automotive and motorsports enthusiasts.

If you would like a copy of the PowerPoint presentation outlining the strategic plans, send an e-mail to Howard Duncan at the National Office.

One of the most entertaining sessions of the convention was an Oral History of the SCCA. It began with a video tape of a conversation with the late Ted Robertson who was the founder of SCCA. The second segment was a taped conversation between Bill Milliken and Cameron Argetsinger surrounding the organization of SCCA's first sanctioned road race in Watkins Glen, NY. During this conversation, many images from the Watkins Glen races were shared in a slide show format. The third section of the program was a panel discussion with Ted Goddard, Frank Manley, Marc Gerstein, Oscar Koveleski, and Anatoly Arutunoff. The moderator, Costa Dunias, asked each of the
gentlemen to share with the crowd a story or two regarding why they joined the SCCA. The session was scheduled for an hour, and it ran a little longer, and continued well into the evening in the bar.

Pete Hylton announced a project in conjunction with Turner Publishing Company to produce a 60th Anniversary pictorial history of the SCCA. Additional information on how to purchase the book will be forthcoming on the website and through direct mailings.

Sunday -
Safety Symposium:
From all accounts, these sessions were very informative and extremely well received. Morning presenters were Arnie Kuhn from SFI, Hubert Grambling of FIA, and Dr. John Melvin. After the luncheon, additional presenters were Dr. Bob Hubbard (inventor of the HANS device) and Carl Schroth (seat
belts).

Club Racing Luncheon:
* Outgoing Executive Stewards Jack Marr (Southwest Division) and Mike West
(Midwest Division) were recognized for their service.
* Outgoing Club Racing Board members Tom Howen and Bob Lybarger were recognized for their service to the club.
* George Snively - Dr. John Melvin
* Jim Fitzgerald Rookie Driver of the Year - Matt DiRenzo
* Kimberly Cup - "Suzuki Jon" Goodale, Colorado Region

Annual Awards Banquet:
* Pete Hylton presented another retrospective look at the history of
SCCA. With some of the wonderful photos from the archives, it was a great look at
where we've been.
* The keynote speaker was Brian Redman. He entertained the audience with his tales of his early driving career. A quote I particularly enjoyed was:
"The poor young racing driver is the poor OLD racing driver of tomorrow."
* Outgoing directors Kathy Barnes (Area 1), Bob Schader (Area 8), Ken Patterson (Area 5), John Martinsen (Area 13), and Dan Sherrod (Area 7) were recognized for their service to the club over the past several years.
* Solo Cup - Roger Johnson, Houston Region
* Robert V. Ridges - Ted Goddard, New England Region
* Ralph Kosimedes presented a new award on behalf of the Performance Rally community. The award will be known as the Bill Bradshaw Cup, and it represents significant contribution to the Performance Rally program. The initial recipient was Bill Bradshaw of the Glen Region.
* David Morell - Rob Walker, San Diego Region
* John McGill - Phil Creighton, Atlanta Region
* President's Cup - Rennie Clayton, San Francisco Region
* Woolf Barnato - Marc Gerstein, Philadelphia Region
* Steve Johnson announced the formation of the SCCA Hall of Fame. The first class will be inaugurated at the 2005 National Convention.

Kelley Huxtable
"Worker Bee"
Des Moines Valley Region

Knestis
02-09-2004, 10:55 AM
It would be interesting to see the list that appears under "W" in that SWOT analysis. It's been my experience with that process - in a variety of organizations - that unless there is substance there, any "change" will be cosmetic at best.

K

pgipson
02-09-2004, 10:41 PM
<The boards operated within the guidelines of the Vision, Mission, and Position Statements given to the by the SCCA Board of Directors:>

I have personally favored the VSPT approach; Vision, Strategy, Project, Tactics.

KelleyHux
02-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks to Greg for posting the information I shared on W2W. Even with the risks that a) things can be taken out of context, and B) things can be misinterpreted, and c) most importantly - this is a WORK IN PROGRESS, I will share one slide from the Club Racing portion of the presentation:

Strengths
* Quality of Events
* Diversity of Members
* Organization
* Worker Base
* Safety
* RunOffs
* Diversity of Vehicles
* Diversity of Categories
* Expertise
* Technical Department
* History
* Prestigious Venues
* Friendly Members

Did I mention - this is a work in progress?

Weaknesses
* Lack of Spectators
* Complexity
* Organization
* Worker Base
* Response Times
* RunOffs
* Diversity of Vehicles
* Member's Sense of Entitlement
* Flexibility
* History/Tradition
* Public Doesn't Know What Road Racing Is
* Cumbersome Rules
* Diversity of Categories
* Lack of Promotion
* Accessibility
* Communication
* Intransigence

Opportunities
* Sports Compact Car Popularity
* Current Auto Trends
* Media Focus
* RunOffs
* Pro Road Racing Sanctioning Weakness
* Diversity of Vehicles
* World Challenge Success
* Solo 1 in Club Racing
* Car Control Clinics
* Logical Progression of Classes
* Worker Training
* Cable TV
* Web Forums
* Information Age

Threats
* Other Sanctioning Bodies
* Single Marque Club Racing
* Economy
* Aging of Our Members
* Limited Spare Time and Outside Interests Competing for Racing Time
* Web Forums
* Litigation
* Intransigence - Stuck In Our Ways

Again - disclaimer - please keep in mind, a) this is a WORK IN PROGRESS, B) the information above is only one piece of the overall presentation, and c) don't shoot the messenger. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif The eagle-eyed among you have probably noticed that some items end up in multiple categories. That's not too unexpected given the diversity within our programs.

TTFN ...
Kelley Huxtable
Des Moines Valley Region
"Worker Bee"

lateapex911
02-10-2004, 07:55 PM
I raised an eyebrow when I spotted "Web forums" in "threats".......

Thinking further about this, I wonder if the IT.com site is high on their list of enenmies. Seems to me that the guys on the ITAC are doing a great job of utilizing the medium to create allies, or, at worst, to provide a little sunshine on the process.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Knestis
02-10-2004, 08:25 PM
When I work with evaluation client organizations, I use a facilitated process in which stakeholders chase out what we call "antecedent conditions" of the problem that a given social or educational program is intended to ameliorate.

It is never the case that what they initially think is the problem IS the problem, in terms of where issues are rooted.

It would be an interesting exercise to pick any of the listed Weaknesses and ask, "why does this condition exist?" - extending a root-like structure as the same question is asked for each brainstormed conditions. That list, by the way, looks like a good start to me...

Ohno's writing about quality control posits that it takes fewer than a half-dozen repetition of that question to get to the bottom of things, or at least to a list of possible bottoms of things.

Kirk (aka web forum threat monger third class)

Banzai240
02-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Here is the link to the actual STRATEGIC PLAN that was presented to those in attendence...

It's a Power-Point slide presentation that is suppose to be web friendly, but I'd suggest right clicking then "download target" or "save target" and then run it directly with Power-Point...

Not quiet the detailed plan I expected, but it does seem to lay out a vision... A lot of work ahead folks...

Here it is:

http://www.scca.com/news/convention/04conv...tegic-Plans.pps (http://www.scca.com/news/convention/04convention/SCCA-Strategic-Plans.pps)

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

cherokee
02-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
I raised an eyebrow when I spotted "Web forums" in "threats".......

Thinking further about this, I wonder if the IT.com site is high on their list of enenmies. Seems to me that the guys on the ITAC are doing a great job of utilizing the medium to create allies, or, at worst, to provide a little sunshine on the process.

I could not agree more. I don't think that they are talking about this site or the prod site. I have one in mind....

gsbaker
02-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by cherokee:
I could not agree more. I don't think that they are talking about this site or the prod site. I have one in mind....

Aw c'mon, which one is it?

Gregg

gsbaker
02-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Never use a verb in a mission statement.

B Schley
02-11-2004, 05:56 PM
This forum is very mild and done very well. My guess for the most threatening.....well, lets just say its initials are D A .com

Mattberg
02-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Did you ever stop to think that perhaps the reason significant action is being taken to make some real change is because sites like driveradvocate.com aren't afraid to bring out the problems and sometimes, the dirty little secrets that threaten our club? Does anyone think the massive movement to make long overdue changes in IT isn't the result of pressure from these sites and the exposure of protectionist policies adn status quo operation?

Many officials would be more than happy to operate as we have for the next twenty years without change and tell us we should be happy with that while they do as they please and keep us all in the dark. Sorry, it's a new day and age and there is a new level of accountability. For one to consider accountability a threat is abhorrent.

To consider a website a threat is absurd. It is simply the same ol' boy network that wants to keep it all the way it was, operate in secrecy and make sure they can do things the way THEY want without scrutiny. Anybody who considers a website a threat dreads communication and examination among a constituency and either has something to hide or wishes to operate without anyone questioning their actions>

It is a weak and scurrilous character that wishes to quash or diminish the lines of communication. It is the same character that would have us eliminate freedom of speech as well. To consider websites a threat to an organization is to say nothing more than we want to operate behind closed doors and keep the membership in the dark.

A website is a valuable asset that allows communication and the exchange of ideas. A smart official would realize that and act upon it and maximize the resource. Instead some want to call it a threat. Those who consider it a threat most likely see it as a threat on a personal basis. That's the sad part because presenting it as a threat to the club is yet another manipulation in a long history of the same.

planet6racing
02-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Oh cheeses. Here we go again...

People, seriously. Go work on your cars. If you don't have anything to do, come work on mine. I have 5 new gauges that need to be wired along with warning lights. I'll gladly pawn that off on someone else...

Let's just pretend the above post doesn't exist. It's almost as bad as the other conspiracy...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Geo
02-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Mattberg:
Does anyone think the massive movement to make long overdue changes in IT isn't the result of pressure from these sites and the exposure of protectionist policies adn status quo operation?

And here I thought it was because someone penetrated the offices while the black helicopters were in the shop.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited February 12, 2004).]

JohnRW
02-12-2004, 02:28 AM
"What is the sound of one hand patting it's own back ?"

Old Zen master, twisting an old saw, when faced with self-adoration, Feb. 2004

Mattberg
02-12-2004, 09:58 AM
The only ones patting themselves on the back are those proud of themselves for taking my comments out of context and taking the opportunity to take shots at myself and Driver Advocate while ignoring the reality of the situation.

These movements for change and the pressure to bring club operations out from behind closed doors started long before Driver Advocate ever existed. The internet brought us communication among club members as a whole and made it possible to find out what was going on a club wide basis and national level BEFORE it was a foregone conclusion printed obscurely in Fastrack three months after the fact. Even Fastrack itself is now available almost immediately and is constantly a topic of discussion on every site.

Bottom line is that technology has opened up the club and allowed members to be informed and kept up to date on a national level versus a regionally contained grapevine system. It has introduced a new level of scrutiny and accountability for those in power that should have always been in place but never was. For anyone to consider that a threat is, as I said, abhorrent and indicates a desire to operate without accountability. And, that's all I said. Neither I, nor Driver Advocate take any credit for such and never have. That credit belongs to those indivduals that use the medium to speak out and/or bring important issues to light.

ITSRX7
02-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Did you ever stop to think that perhaps the reason significant action is being taken to make some real change is because sites like driveradvocate.com aren't afraid to bring out the problems and sometimes, the dirty little secrets that threaten our club?

Neither I, nor Driver Advocate take any credit for such and never have. That credit belongs to those indivduals that use the medium to speak out and/or bring important issues to light.

Seems like you are saying two different things here, Matt. First it IS because if sites like DA.com then it isn't.

You are right in that these changes have been underway for a LONG time. It take a while to turn this ship we call the SCCA. I can tell you that DA.com is widely perceived as a forum for extreamist bitching and moaning and not one of action. Boardering on COUNTER-productive due to the nature of the organization - VOLUNTEER. Sorry if you disagree but that is the perception.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region #188967

planet6racing
02-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Hmm... Interesting site. Can't imagine why it is viewed poorly.

As of this post, Mr. Weisberg has 30% of all posts on that site...(317 of 1055)

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

Tom Donnelly
02-12-2004, 04:33 PM
That is an interesting site. There are so many things I want to say but I am at a total loss for words.

except..

Matt, you kinda scare me. You remind me of Joe McCarthy. I don't doubt your sense of integrity or purpose, or doubt that you have good interests at heart. Or that you may be right about some of your points of view.
But,have you ever shot anyone who disagreed with you?

Tom

Joe Harlan
02-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Look guys, I don't agree with half the crap said on most any forum. But the facts are this.
If you look at the plan that has been laid out and then go look at the forums all over the web. This one included. The Buzz words come from what the BOD and the CRB ect. are getting fro reading these sights. I get just as tired of all the arguing and bitching myself, But I have to tell you change doesn't happen if nobody says anything.

Tom Donnelly
02-12-2004, 07:11 PM
I want to add to my previous statement.

What I really wanted to communicate is that in perusing the DA site, I perceived an "if you are not with us, you're against us" attitude that may or may not be factual. I can't speak for anyone but myself but I have quite a dollar investment in my current car. I will be able to adapt to gradual change, but dramatic shifts could cut down on my seat time. If this were a pro series and not just for fun, I could see the need for rapid change, mainly to meet a target market. The spectators and sponsors. The fact that we don't have any is a problem, but if we did, the cost might increase as well due to sponsor/spectator demand.

What got to me the most was some casual comments about bump drafting and rubbing.
I really don't want to ding my car for no damn good reason, and I'm not a PCA "berm"
driver. And the spec miata bumper car attitude carried by some drivers has put several of my friends in the hospital with serious injuries and I don't call that fun.

If you want overly agressive driving, try a dirt track. Its fun and fair since you don't have to guess about getting hit. You will.

And the SCCA workers are volunteers. They're in it because they are car freaks too. And they work for FREE. And are trying to have fun too. Get off their backs. They are well trained and could save your butt someday. For free.

If you want perfection, wait till you get to heaven, cause you won't find it here.

Just my opinion.

Tom

lateapex911
02-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Well, let's not let Matt think that it's all about him, or his head will really swell, and his Neon will join the Goodyear blimp.

Not to be too much of a killjoy Matt, but I was approached regarding items in the strategic plan, as well as the plan itself, long before DA was close to a reality. I think that the issues raised come from collective sources, and from talking to those in the positions of power in our club, there is general distrust regarding sites such as DA.com, that have obvious axes to grind.

I think DA.com has some valuable contributors, but I do sense an "Us vs. Them" slant overall. There are those who try to add balance, but the core keeps popping up.

It is, like all web BBs, a place where actual truth isn't a criteria, and where opposing viewpoints and responses are often ignored. The trouble is the old saw about the same piece of misinformation being repeated so many times that it becomes truth...

I also imagine that things like "16 stories" which DA.com jumped on in a salivating fury, only to back away from it later, left a thorn in the side of the BoD, among others. Much valuable time, time that could have been spent working on an IT wheel diameter rule, or something productive, was wasted researching the validity of the 16 claims.

I think we would all have a much better understanding of the issues if we got involved with them....workers who race, and racers who work, and I grow tired of shrills with no background experience spouting off senselessly.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited February 12, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
02-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Just quickly looked at DA.com... why did we need another forum? I thought we did enough bitching over here!!!

I was thinking of becoming a member (of that site) and saying nice things about SCCA and bad things about the compeating clubs just to see how long it took before I was booted from the site... Then I decided anoying Matt wasn't worth my time.

Anyway back to the convention, I am glad that the powers to be recognize the things they mentioned (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), it proves they do deserve the roles they have and that they are trying to make a club that is fun for everyone.

Thank you

Raymond Blethen

Anubis
02-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Tough to get much driver advocacy by constantly ripping into the race officials that allow you to drive.

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C

No more the small one, the weak one, the frightened one.
Running from beatings, deflating.
I'm becoming more than a man. More than you ever were.
Driven and burning to rise beyond Jesus.

I watched the Indy 500, and I was thinking that if they left
earlier they wouldn't have to go so fast.

Banzai240
02-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
Anyway back to the convention, I am glad that the powers to be recognize the things they mentioned (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), it proves they do deserve the roles they have and that they are trying to make a club that is fun for everyone.

On an additional positive note, the officials of this club seem to be opening themselves up to new ideas, and, at least at the moment, seem more accessible and willing to work together than I've seen in my short time in the SCCA...

I think things are getting better, and positive moves are being made.

Drop them a note once in awhile when you think they've done a good job. I have, and they really appreciate the positive feedback.

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

Mattberg
02-13-2004, 01:50 AM
"Tough to get much driver advocacy by constantly ripping into the race officials that allow you to drive."

...the race officials that ALLOW [me] to drive?

Yup. That's the attitude I'm talking about.

Joe Harlan
02-13-2004, 02:20 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I think things are getting better, and positive moves are being made.</font>

And this can be directly tracked to many people including folks on all of these forums.

I also think it is stupid to think that any official allows me to race. Let's not ever forget who writes the checks.

dickita15
02-13-2004, 08:27 AM
not to start a them vs us but you check is pretty useless if no one steps up and runs an event.
dick

Geo
02-13-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Joe Harlan:
And this can be directly tracked to many people including folks on all of these forums.

I also think it is stupid to think that any official allows me to race. Let's not ever forget who writes the checks.

Well, unless those officials and other workers volunteer, you're either not racing or you're writing a bigger check.

I wonder how much more it would add to the cost of a race weekend if the officials and corner workers were actually paid a fair wage for their time?

I think you and other have misinterpreted the meaning behind "the officials that allow you to race." That doesn't mean you race at their whim. That means without their being gracious enough to volunteer their time, we wouldn't be racing. Or we'd be writing a bigger (probably much bigger) check.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Banzai240
02-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Geo:
Well, unless those officials and other workers volunteer, you're either not racing or you're writing a bigger check.

Not entirely true... There was a time when the officials were actually driver's from the groups that were not on the track...

It use to be common (still is with some organizations) for the drivers to take to a corner station, flag stand, etc., once their session was over, and actually work the event. When I got my novice license, it was actually required.

Driver's have gotten so "lazy", for lack of a better term, that they've now just turned their fates over to these volunteers. That's fine, but unless you are involved, don't complain about the outcome. You can't expect someone else to do all the work, and then bitch about how the work was done. Not unless someone is on your payroll...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

ITSRX7
02-13-2004, 10:03 AM

...the race officials that ALLOW [me] to drive?

Yup. That's the attitude I'm talking about.

And has been stated above, the fact that [you] read it the way you did, is the problem. We all knew what it stated.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports

ITSRX7
02-13-2004, 10:13 AM

These boards are productive in a variety of way but getting things DONE is NOT one of those ways. Chat is chat. The do-ers have always been do-ers and the talkers have always been talkers. There isn't much that frustrates a do-er more than a talker that complains about the 'doings' - and doesn't do themselves.

Just because the people who DO things for the SCCA, participate on the boards doesn't mean the boards are productive at the 10,000 foot, 'making SCCA chage for the better' level.

And see my above post on how you took the 'allowing me to race' comment. Birds of a feather flock together at DA.com.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports

sccaflagger74
02-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Regarding volunteering and workers. We (workers) would love to have more drivers help out. We get a small group in the DC region that volunteer but we could use more. Regional drivers come on out to the National races to work and vice versa. Don't want to stand on the corners? Try registration or T&S. Grid and Pit could use help. Volunteer at an enduro you aren't driving in. We would love to have more people and I'm sure it would help cut down on worker burnout if we had more help.

We'd LOVE to see more drivers in whites!

Cheers,

Bob

cherokee
02-13-2004, 11:09 AM
There are right ways and wrong ways of doing things, or talking about things. Comments I have seen like "plant your own dope..." have no place anywhere. 99% of the things we talk about here is pretty nice and even...sure some times topics have gotten pretty...passionate<sp>... but I think we all respect each others ideas.

sgallimo
02-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Banzai240:
... It use to be common (still is with some organizations) for the drivers to take to a corner station, flag stand, etc., once their session was over, and actually work the event. When I got my novice license, it was actually required....

Right on Darin! Besides working corners, start, pit, grid, T&S, registration, and race control, don't forget about all of time spent before the event begins: deciding what the event will be; getting the date scheduled with the track, division, and scca; getting the sanction numbers and insurance coverages; creating and publishing the supplementary regulations and entry forms; getting all of the right EV equipment and personnel scheduled; creating and ordering event giveaways (t-shirts, dash plates, etc); creating trophies (have you ever tried picking up and assembling 300 trophies?); getting the radios, fire bottles, flags, water jugs, brooms, etc to all the right folks.

And the time after the driver's have gone home: packing up all of the radios, fire bottles, water jugs, brooms, flags; recharging radios for the next use; compiling the timing sheets, reports, points, protest documentation; reporting points to all of the right keepers of the points; depositing or destroying driver's checks; making sure the track rental and any food and drink charges are paid; taking care of trophies that weren't picked up at the event.

We've got monthly Region Board of Director's meetings, Competition Board meetings, mass membership mailings - membership lists, schedules, upcoming race notifications, newsletters, etc (when was the last time you stuffed membership lists and fridge magnets into more than 600 8.5x11 envelopes, sealed them, put on 4 stamps and address labels, and hauled them to the post office?), and track upgrades and maintenance - the track isn't paying for our corner stations, scale room, etc. (which means us volunteers installed those nifty gazebos you see at VIR). All of the supplies necessary to hold events and support a Region must be purchased, maintained, stored, and inventoried. Someone has to handle the merchandise (decals, patches, GCRs, shirts, etc). Somebody has to wash, dry, and repair over a hundred flags.

There is a almost unbelievable amount of volunteer work being done that is not visible to someone simply attending a racing event. Participating in a race (driving OR working) is a completely different thing than putting on a race. Likewise for maintaining a Chapter or managing a Region. It's just like dropping your luggage off at the check-in counter at the airport and picking it up at baggage claim at your destination. You would simply be amazed at the number of people and the amount of machinery, energy, and effort required to make that simple, behind the scenes thing happen. It's no different here.

Given the sheer volume of people that are working on the care and feeding of this beast that we call racing, it's not surprising that we have some bad apples. And I know we do, I've seen some of them. But I submit that the percentage of bad ones is a small number (even if a large number of those bad ones are in positions of influence). Yes we need to get the bad ones to straighten up or leave. Yes we must remember that while they are volunteering their time, they volunteered to do A job for us. If they aren't capable of doing the job or aren't willing to do it properly, we need to ask them to step aside and then we need to step up and provide another volunteer to fill that post. There is no us and them. There is only us. If there is a problem with the way the club is being run, it is our problem.

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

planet6racing
02-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Scott:

Thank you for posting that! I've been becoming more aware of the things that go on in the background that I, as a driver, don't see, but I had forgotten about all the little stuff (like the mailers, flag care, etc.). This just reinforces my thoughts of working corners this year when I'm not racing!

I guess I should put the rest of the races on my schedule and make sure I have the time to work them!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

gsbaker
02-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Scott,

Man, that says it all.

Bravo workers!

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

cherokee
02-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Without the SCCA workers where would road racing be in the US?

We have sooo much to be thankful for. SCCA workers are the best.

B Schley
02-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Agreed, SCCA workers do a great job. Yes, we have all probably had some kind of run in with officials, tech etc. But, in the end it is because of these dedicated VOLUNTEERS that road racing events are put on, if everyone would remember that, lighten up and remember we are racing for trophies, plaques and medals, it would make for a much better environment. Remember, the racing is done on the track, not on the internet.

--Bill

Geo
02-14-2004, 03:21 AM
Many great points here. Scott, I think you've opened more than a few eyes. I hope you have.

We live in a consumeristic society. We often think that the writing the check makes us gods. Never forget that we race in SCCA club racing. As such, our check don't even begin to cover what is necessary. Without those gracious volunteers, yes even the grouch in tech, registration (ours in Texas are absolute sweethearts so it can't be them), or wherever, without their gracious gift of their time, we wouldn't get to do what we love so much.

Perhaps rather than bitch at some of these people, we should all remember to be kind to them and thank them for their time, even when we strongly disagree.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Anubis
02-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Thanks to those who saw my comment for what it was, some great points were made.

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C

Joe Harlan
02-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Lance, I may have taken what you said wrong and it needs to be understood that I appreciate the work that workers and offcials do. I appreciate it enough to Donate money for dinners at the yearly convention. I have bought equipment to make their jobs and lives easier. I know the workers in my region know me well enough to know that my comment about writing the checks was more a matter of disagreeing with the thought that anyone allows me to race. What I as a driver expect from any volunteer is that they are fair friendly and good stewards of our club and our finances. I will say that my experience has been that 99.5% of them have always been that way. Unfortunate that the .5% can really screw it up for the whole lot of us.I understand that the same can be said for drivers and I have had the pleasure of those people to either on the track or in the pits. I won't tolerate a driver with a shitty attitude at a race anymore than an official. So to those that took my comments wrong I appologize.

ITSRX7
02-14-2004, 09:15 PM
Lance, I may have taken what you said wrong and it needs to be understood that I appreciate the work that workers and offcials do. I appreciate it enough to Donate money for dinners at the yearly convention. I have bought equipment to make their jobs and lives easier. I know the workers in my region know me well enough to know that my comment about writing the checks was more a matter of disagreeing with the thought that anyone allows me to race. What I as a driver expect from any volunteer is that they are fair friendly and good stewards of our club and our finances. I will say that my experience has been that 99.5% of them have always been that way. Unfortunate that the .5% can really screw it up for the whole lot of us.I understand that the same can be said for drivers and I have had the pleasure of those people to either on the track or in the pits. I won't tolerate a driver with a shitty attitude at a race anymore than an official. So to those that took my comments wrong I appologize.

Right on the money. I am with you 100%.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports

Anubis
02-15-2004, 02:33 AM

That I can agree with you about. Club racing has a very unique relationship between the club, the racers and the people behind the scenes that make it happen.

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C