PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Monkeywrench
02-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Hello. I'm 16 and recently recieved my drivers permit. I'm a huge fan of road racing. I attend the Pocono SCCA Double National each year and my dad is a friend of a long time SCCA racer who races vintage now (Dick Stockton if anyone knows him). We're probally going to be pit crew for a race this summer. I'm looking to get into the sport when I turn 17. I'll probally auto x for the first year to practice things like heel toe downshifting, car control. Anyway I'm looking for a car that I could drive on the street, but would be close to being an Improved Touring class car. I'm very mechanically inclined and don't mind wrenching or putting up with a cage/ stiff suspension. I was thinking along the lines of a Rabbit GTI, ACR neon, or a RX7. Your input is appreciated on a car that would do the job. Thanks for reading.

[This message has been edited by Monkeywrench (edited February 13, 2004).]

lateapex911
02-13-2004, 12:26 AM
You'll probably get a ton of responses here, but here are a few points.

First, wecome to the madness!

Autocrossing is a great idea. Cheap seat time, albeit in 45 second intervals! Try a few track days as well. Rack up as many miles behind the wheel as you can.

If you can crew for guys at the track, preferably in the clsas you want to race in. We can all use a hand! Or just hang with us if you want! If you can make the trip to Lime Rock, you'll have a lot more oppurtunity to get involved.

Check out the results of IT races like the ARRCs, and other regional races and see what cars keep appearing in the results. Decide whether FWD or RWD is your thing, if you care, and think about how competitive you need to be. If you are going to kill yourself if you aren't near the front, then you'll need to choose your car wisely.

The cars you mention are good choices. Work some overtime to save up, and buy a built car, as it is nearly always the more inexpensive route.

Join the SCCA if you haven't already, get the GCR, and read it. Don't do anything to your car if you haven't read the good book and don't want to do the work twice! Consider volunteering to work races. It's a great way to see the process, and meet some folks who can help you with advise. Even with no experience, there's always a spot for a eager heads up volunteer.

Keep reading the site!

Have fun!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

benspeed
02-13-2004, 03:16 PM
My number one suggestion - buy a built car. It's way more fun driving and working on the car, than just working.

(course I'm a lousy mechanic)

Cheers,

------------------
BenSpeed
#33 ITS RX7
BigSpeed Racing
[email protected]
NNJR

Monkeywrench
02-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks. I've been scanning ebay motors and other places looking for a car. I like that Lime Green 240z thats on this site. How hard would it be to convert an Improve Touring car to street use. Besides the usual putting a muffler on it and some emmision equipment. Do you guys set the bearing clearences really use in the motors? I could use a street engine and drop in a "prepped" one if I was going to race it.

B Schley
02-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Monkeywrench, welcome to the club. My first recommendation is do not race a car that you are going to drive on the street. I've seen too many people crash street driven cars on the race track. I know alot of people do it though, and have no problems. Regarding what to race, I suggest something that parts are readily available for i.e. aftermarket, boneyards etc. I race a CRX in Ita because parts are plentiful, cheap, and interchangable, the car is easy to work on, and it has proved to be very reliable. I agree with what the others have posted. Look at the results and see what cars are running up front, there are reasons why certain cars are more popular than others. Hope this helps, and good luck.
-- Bill