PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tire Rack shaved tire feedback...

gran racing
02-08-2004, 10:06 AM
I contacted my usual vendor to purchase 3 Kumos Esctas, but they are backordered right now and are not sure how soon they will be able to get them in for my size. I have always been very, very happy with the shaving that Vilven Tire has done and have not heard the best feedback about Tire Rack's shaving.

I've never actually ordered shaved tires from Tire Rack. What is your opinion of their shaved tires? Is there that much of a difference that I should wait till Vilven gets tires in (when ever that will be)?

Jake
02-08-2004, 10:18 AM
A bird in hand is worth 2 shaved bushes on a bird - or something like that.

Wayne
02-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Purchased four Esctas shaved and heat cycled from Tirerack at the beginning of the season last year. Didn't have time to closely inspect them the day they were delivered.

Went to take them to the tire shop and the first one I pulled off the stack was badly gouged. Someone had taken a hand grinder to the surface in an attempt to smooth it out. The tire was badly cupped and gouged throughout. TR sent a replacement out and was scheduled to pick up the bad one.

Meanwhile, close inspection of the second tire revealed the same gouging though not quite as bad. Another call to TR and they sent another tire out. Now I had 6 tires four good ones, one not so good, and one that was junk.

They came and picked up one of the two bad tires. Like an idiot I sent back the better of the two bad ones, assuming they would be back for the last one eventually. They never picked up the second bad tire, so now I have a spare, badly gouged tire.

Wayne

gran racing
02-08-2004, 07:44 PM
That's basically what I've heard from others...anyone know of any other good place? (Again, I tried Vilven)

itbgti
02-08-2004, 08:45 PM
I have purchased shaved Kumho's from both Vilven and Tire Rack.

The Vilven shave is by far superior..when compared tire to tire, you can easily see the Vilven shave is much flatter, while the TR shave is rounder, reducing contact patch. And (subjective) the Vilven shave looks smoother. I have never had the gouging problem though.

Regards,
Alan