PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Rebates for Honda Challenge

Richy Gonzalez
02-07-2004, 07:44 PM
I've personally have no experiences with NASA and Honda Challenge but I've read the stories. However, the one thing that I see is that they are doing right is marketing. Take this Rebate Offer by Toyo for Honda Challenge competitors for example. At $12 - $15 per tire is quite nice. Now, why don't we have this in SCCA Improved Touring? It's in Spec Miata but not in IT. How come?

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw)
LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

ITSRX7
02-07-2004, 09:07 PM
I would think its because there are MANY Regions across the country trying to figure out what tire to spec in for their series. Simple marketing right?

In IT, the Toyo isn't the tire to have. You can't win in a competitive Region on ANY Toyo unless it's raining - the Hoosiers and Goodyears are too fast.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region #188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Richy Gonzalez
02-07-2004, 09:59 PM
While I agree with you that Hoosiers are the tire to have for winning (all things considered equal), I don't think that is the spirit of the Rebate. The fact that Toyo will give you almost 10% back is huge in my opinnion. You don't have to put stickers or anything, just simply send you receipt and you get money back. To me, this would be a great insentive to run Toyos if this rebate was offered to us IT'rs. Right now, I run Kuhmo because if I happen to place, I get anywhere from $45 to $150 back. Now, do that in a few races and next thing you know, you are racing on free tires.

Sorry if I got a little off the deep end but the fact that Honda Challenge was able to get this, is a very good thing (for them). I just wish that IT would get some kind of benefit from the immense popularity it has, even if it has never been recognized.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw)
LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

philstireservice
02-08-2004, 12:31 AM
the reason for some of the Honda Challenge perks is that the Directors are 2 racers that are running the series and have the authority to do pretty much what they want to make the series attractive to sponsors and such....Hmmmmm??? not a bad idea huh?

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST1
www.philstireservice.com
Amsoil Dealer
distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
Hoosier Tire Dealer
Toyo Tire Dealer

Richy Gonzalez
02-08-2004, 12:52 AM
...and here I thought it was great marketing by HC and NASA. Go figure.

pgipson
02-08-2004, 02:07 AM
The Toyo rebate program extends to more than SM and some of the NASA classes, but it is for classes that spec the Toyo RA1 for competiton. Many of the Spec RX7 programs also get the rebate (or the Toyo Bucks program).

NASA has adopted the Toyo as the tire of choice for several classes.

Toyo, Kumho and now Hankook have (or had) a simialr program.

lateapex911
02-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Nothing would make me happier than getting rid of the Hoosiers, and specing something...anything...that lasted a few more sessions. Rebate or not. Even at the same price!

Not only are the tire costs a complete waste, but the disposal, dismount, remount and balancing charges are nuts. And here in silly stuck-up Fairfield County, most places turn their noses up at touching anything unless they're selling something. So the places that deign to actually accept labor only, make sure they realize solid profit. A set of Hoosiers, mounted and ready to go ends up costing over $800, and thats for 13"-ers!

And around here, where ITA car counts were 12 to 25 at every race I entered, your chances of seeing the frontrunners are nil without a good set of shoes. Fresh too, as many of the front runners swap every weekend.

Bottom line is that the Hoosier issue is costing, make that wasting a lot of money.

But I am all too aware of the problems associated with a Spec tire.

Too bad we can't specify the wear rate, or the durometer rating of tires used in IT. But that would be protested as "rules creep".

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited February 08, 2004).]