PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Fiero - ITA

jagman4
01-21-2004, 11:08 PM
The latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports has an article on the Pontiac Fiero. With the 2.8L V6 it runs in ITA and the 2.5 four-banger runs in ITB; according to the article.
I just did a search on Fiero in these forums and it doesn't look like a popular car at all. I expected some chatter. 3 posts in 3 years.
Is the Fiero a good candidate for ITA or ITB?

Knestis
01-22-2004, 12:23 AM
If the number of cars actually out there is any indication of how good a candidate it is, it isn't going to make it through the primaries. If you're in a caucus state, maybe but... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

K

Tyson
01-22-2004, 12:40 AM
alan hamilton runs a fiero in SFR ITA. he does pretty good and consistent with his new chassis this past year (crashed his last one end of 2002), but not lap record times.

cherokee
01-22-2004, 09:26 AM
The open computer rules will help out the car also. If I remember correctly it was an ITS car...and it would get KILLED there, an 88' ITB car might have a chance now that the computer rules are open. I would not try an early TB car.

88YB1
01-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Actually the Fiero runs in ITB with the four, and ITA with the six. There are a few of us racing our Fieros. I am aware of nine Fieros racing IT in various parts of the country, and one GT1 in Waterford Michigan that is for sale. Several of the guys have brought home the gold on occasion. Alan Hamilton is probably the most consistent with regular top ten, and occasional top five finishes. Mechanical problems have kept him out of the winner’s circle in 03. Few of the other drivers have fully prepped their cars, but still manage mid-pack performance.

I hope to get my IT racing career started this year. I have spent the past several months building an 86SE with 2.8 V6 and 5 speed tranny. The car is 99.9% ready with just a few minor things left to do. The car passed tech, and received a logbook. I have my novice logbook, and am registered for the Roebling double in February.

Chuck
ITA #34
Sec/Trea Georgia Fieros

jagman4
01-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Chuck,
That is great to hear. A buddy of mine and I are considering a Fiero V6 for a couple of reasons; the plastic body should make for easy repairs if contact with other drivers happens, and because the 2.8L is pretty torquey. I also think the entry price for a rough Fiero that needs a motor, etc., is very good a well.
I want a car that is interesting and less common. The Fiero might just be the one. Good luck with yours.

88YB1
01-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Jagman,
The 88 Formula is the best of the Fieros straight out of the box. GM redesigned the suspension that year, and then killed the car. The earlier year models are not quite as good stock as the 88, but much more can be done to improve their handling. The 85GT is the lightest from the factory, and highly desirable for a race platform. The 84 through 87 has a race weight of 2560 with driver. That translates to 2380 without driver. A weight that is impossible to legally reach. My 86SE is setting at 2500 with almost every legal item removed. I have a kirk bolt-in cage with petty bar. If I take out the rear window and add the rear braces I could remove the petty bar and replace the rear glass with poly. That would save another 20lbs or so. Then buy a set of panasport wheels should get me down around 2480. The 88 Formula (Driven by Alan Hamilton referred to in my earlier post) has a race weight of 2780, and is running at the front of the pack. Add my 210 to the 248 for the car, and I can race at 2690. 70lbs less than the 88 Formula. All this means that the car has the potential to be a front-runner. If you need any info on the Fiero I would be glad to help.

Chuck

jagman4
01-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Chuck,
Great information. You have obviously done your homework - I really appreciate the info.
I understand the rear-suspension on the early cars has bump-steer problems. I'm not up on all the rules but could I put the 88 rear suspension on the 85GT. Is it even physically possible to do this?
Thanks for your help - I am already looking at ebay for a car.

lateapex911
01-31-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by jagman4:
Chuck,
I'm not up on all the rules but could I put the 88 rear suspension on the 85GT. ......

The 88 is classified on a different line than the rest of the Fieros in the GCR, and that means no swapping between the two. No mixing an matching to get a hybrid that was never built. Sorry!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

88YB1
01-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Jagman
The 84 through 87 Fieros suffered fron rear wheel bunpsteer due to the inboard end of the tie rod being higher than the tierod at the wheel. This can be minimized by stiffer springs and lowering the car. I have lowered mine 2 inches and run 350 pound rear springs with a rear swaybar added. Some of the guys are running 500 pound rear springs and no swaybar. I may find it desirable to use heavier springs to help control ther cars sinsitivity to throttle induced understeer/oversteer. In stock trim the car is very sinsitivty to throttle inputs. Under heavy acceleration the car will push straight ahead, and under sudden deceleration the car will oversteer with a tendency to spin. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it allows you to tune the car to your driving style.

Chuck

88YB1
01-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Jagman,
Send me your e-mail addy and I'll send you more info on Fieros.
Chuck
#34 ITA Pontiac Fiero
[email protected]