PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Professional Race Instructor??

gran racing
01-23-2004, 04:32 PM
This somewhat was brought up by the WC topic...

Anyone know how difficult it is to become a race instructor (full-time) for one of the many race schools out there? Mid-Ohio, VIR, Skip Barber, ect.

I modified my dream of being a pro race driver, and have shifted it to becoming a pro race instructor. Or at least find a profession in the automotive field.

Is it necessary to be a pro race driver before one could become a pro race instructor? Anyone have any experience in this area?

Dave

Knestis
01-23-2004, 04:46 PM
It's about who you know, to some degree. It doesn't hurt to have a famous name, either.

It can't be a bad idea in your case to work your butt off to be an effective instructor at whatever level you can get into - HPDE, SCCA region, car club, or whatever. Establish a reputation and build on it.

I would argue that a lot of driving instructors are better drivers than instructors. Some end up in the position because they lack the $$ for a pro ride and - some, not all - are like athletes that default to being coaches because they don't make the "bigs."

It's not hard to be a better instructor than these people if you approach instruction like a profession and seek out appropriate pedagogical training (e.g., brain theory, learning styles, task analysis, etc.).

See if your local community college offers any education courses, for example...

K

Geo
01-23-2004, 05:11 PM
The life of a racing school instructor is nothing to aspire to I'm afraid. I seriously doubt they make much money. Why? Because they have a long list of people who want to do it. Many instructors are aspiring racers who are out of a ride for one reason or another.

I'd guess it's not too unlike skiing instructors. Hard to make a living at. Most do it for perks rather than pay.

Of my 3 instructors at the Spenard-David Racaing School, only David Empringham ever made it to speak of. He was a 2x (almost 3x) Toyota Atlantic Champion and Indy Lights champion. From there he moved on to some sort of administrative role in a pro team IIRC. The others were like ski bums, just looking for a ride somewhere, trying to raise money or meet a wealthy benefactor while instructing.

I don't have absolute first-hand knowledge of all this, but having attended racing school, talking with my instructors and instructors at other schools, this is what I surmize. I'll bet heavily it's not far off.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

gran racing
01-23-2004, 06:25 PM
I would be very curious to know what the pay ranges are like...

JohnRW
01-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Never mind...

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited January 23, 2004).]

PDoane
01-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Some of the pro drivers I've met in GAC and WC use instructing as a way to make money between events.

jc836
01-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Of all the Instructors I have met and worked with only 1 is a driver/instructor/administrator. Most of the others are either semi-retired racers or racers looking for "free seat time". The people that teach at the Petty school come to mind for the last one. They are mostly active in one of the stock car series (ARCA, ASA, NASCAR) and primarily weekly types. Yes they also get paid, but I suspect that it is minimal. Remember that "pro" drivers need to be continuously visible if they have any chance at all of moving up in any major series. Some of the schools were founded and are operated by now retired big names.

The HPDE instructors that I know are a mix of pro and amateur racers who want more seat time than they can otherwise afford. My refresher course at The Glen was taught by a former Regional Exec. He can drive very well and helped me get back to form.

I agree with Kirk about having a background that mixes education talent with driving. At least I think that is what he means. I need a kick start to go really fast and smooth-my instructors have been very patient with me. Guidance is so very important to the overall experience and it comes from their own experiences and ability to show a student what to do.

BTW: I firmly believe that we are always learning and that going to a school is a very good idea. HPDE is one way to do that. SCCA or NASA schools are more intense and well worth the prep needed.

Just my ramblings from snowed in Pittsburgh

Anyone needing an AutoTap Diagnostic Scanner-send e-mail

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Quickshoe
01-28-2004, 03:09 AM
I also agree with Kirk. Not being an x-pro big name racer, your best plan of attack would be to learn to be a great instructor. Are you comfortable speaking to a large group? Join toastmasters, or some other group where you're communication skills can be fine tuned.

I instructed for a few years, I felt I was lousy at it, so I bowed out. Yet I consider myself a fairly good racer. Some of the instructors, who aren't very good racers, were excellent! I am very good at math yet I struggle to teach my 7th grader Algebra. It comes fairly easy to me (math and racing) I can try to explain it one way, if that doesn't work I am at a loss. That makes for a lousy instructor. Different people learn in different ways. An effective instructor will learn how to reach them.

The perks are nice. Extra seat time never hurts. Having to explain things helps reinforce it in your own mind. You also, depending on the school, will have an opportunity to drive several different vehicles, with different characteristics. The more diverse the cars, and the quicker you get comfortable in them, the better off you will be when your car isn't just as you like it, or you are learning a new track.

It is also very rewarding to see the progress that some students make.

Good luck to you!

Knestis
01-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Another perk: It's a great way to meet rich guys who want to go racing. This is where this strand and the one about getting a "pro ride" come together. How many enduro teams are a pairing of talent and money? How much of "talent" is in the eye of the beholder - the guy writing the checks?

K

whenry
01-28-2004, 11:49 AM
I had two relatively accomplished instuctors as my Skippy school: Jeremy Dale(IMSA racer) and Bruce McInnes(former Nat ff champ, etc). Also Duck Waddell who was a great guy but had been injured badly in racing incident. Terry Earwood and Dave _______(Atlanta area Porsche driver) were my instructors at a lapping day.
Style of teaching is important but it surely helps to have a list of accomplishments to impress and sway the students. From what I saw you should open your own school. That is where the $$ seems to be.

gran racing
01-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately opening a school would be pretty expensive. I can't imagine what insurance alone would cost.

gsbaker
01-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by whenry:
...Terry Earwood and Dave _______(Atlanta area Porsche driver) were my instructors at a lapping day.

David Murry?

He was one of my instructors. Nice guy and very quick.

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com