PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Power(generator, compressor, lights, Sat. TV, Intern

01-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Ok newbie here.

Setting up an enclosed trailer for track events. Have a bunch of questions.

1)What power is usually available at the track mainly NER NHIS LRP Glen Summit etc.?

2)Do you guys bring a generator and if so what size is recommended?

3)Do you bring an air compressor?

4)How do you power the lights in the trailer? Also the radio, laptop, tv.

5)How do you get TV stations? Will satalite TV work?

6)How do you get online at the track?

The last two I don't really care about but will help keep the wifE happE. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Greg Amy
01-16-2004, 03:02 PM
>>> 1)What power is usually available

Usually none, unless you have a garage.

>>> 2)Do you guys bring a generator

No, I lounge around next to my open-deck trailer and let the bikini girls wave the fans on me to keep me cool. Oh, and frozen margaritas after the event help.

>>> 3)Do you bring an air compressor?

Nitrogen tanks.

>>> 4)How do you power the lights...radio, laptop, tv.

Lights are usually d-cells, radio is usually Die-Hard powered, and the laptop is usually Lithium-Ion (or, in rare cases, Die-Hard.) TV is powered by Northeast Utilities in my living room.

>>> 5)How do you get TV stations? Will satalite TV work?

Uh, if you've got time for that, you're welcome to park next to me anytime. Can I use your trailer to change into my driver's suit without showing off my skivvies?

>>> 6)How do you get online at the track?

Usually by parking on the false grid ten minutes before the session.

gsbaker
01-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Greg,

What can I say?

http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif, or http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif or http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/eek.gif or ROLMFAO?

Damn, that's funny.

Don't mind Greg. He is just going through a racing Jones, his last images of flashing ashpalt being at the ARRC.

My suggestion would be to have a generator and satellite TV. The online part is tricky as WiFi is probably not at most tracks, so you might try the DirecTV internet hookup. Coverage may be spotty though, so check before you sign up.

In the interest of corporate decorum...

Gregg

[Edit: Oops!]

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited January 16, 2004).]

lateapex911
01-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by grega:
>>> 1)

No, I lounge around next to my open-deck trailer and let the bikini girls wave the fans on me to keep me cool. ...... Can I use your trailer to change into my driver's suit without showing off my skivvies?

>>> 6)How do you get online at the track?

Usually by parking on the false grid ten minutes before the session.

But Greg..I thought the bikini girls were only there to see you in your skivvies?!?!?

Congratulations on your flat out best post here ever......still laughing! Sheesh! Who knew you were related to Seinfeld?

Anyway, to actually address the questions, power is in short supply at most tracks. LRP has some, but it's kind of hard to find, and NHIS has posts in the outer paddock, on the grass. They may come by and collect $10 if they remember, and can find you. If you must have power, bring a generator, but please, if you do, make it a Honda or Yamaha, as they are actually semi-quiet, and only their better models. And if you're powering up a computer or satelite, expect the gen output to be a bit sketchy. Run the power through a UPS, or get the higher end Yamahas, that feature a good, highly regulated output. DSS is probably available at most tracks from somewhere in the paddock. Going online will be an effort in frustration at this point. I would get a local hotel if you must have internet access for the weekend. It will save you the trouble of bringing a pool too, they can be a bear to tow.

Also, be sure to have a 12 volt battery in your trailer for the runaway trailer brakes, and it can double as a spare jump start batt. Perhaps 12 volt lights in the trailer is a good backup as well.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited January 16, 2004).]

01-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Great info guys.

So where do I get these nitrogen tanks?

Greg Amy
01-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Any welding supply shop. You'll rent the tank, leaving them with a deposit (or you can buy your own initially), then you'll swap it out when you need a refill.

You'll also need to buy your own regulator, hoses, and fittings. They can provide all that for you. Make sure you tell them what you want it for so they can sell you the proper regulator.

Knestis
01-20-2004, 10:17 AM
I have a rallying perspective that bypasses air. I use an electric impact wrench and portable generator big enough to run it. For tires, I use either a portable air bottle or little 12v compressor. It's about being able to move stuff around, setting up service in a parking lot somewhere rather than working out of a covered trailer.

K

planet6racing
01-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Harbor Freight, Craftsmen, SnapOn, Milwaukee and several others now offer 1/2" cordless impact guns capable of at least 220 ft*lbf. I have a Harbor Freight 19.2V model and it is probably the single best tool I bring with me to the track!

For air, I use a $20 tank from Walmart. If it runs out, I just take it over to the track air hose and refill it. Sat TV? Well, I just bring some videos and watch them on my 13" TV (unless the Packers or Bears are playing...). I do have a generator, but typically don't take it to the track because I haven't really needed it. However, if I can find a way to mount it to my open trailer, it may come with me more and I may find more uses for it.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

whenry
01-20-2004, 01:20 PM
I quit carrying the generator around because most of the SE tracks have decent power availibility. You may need a long cord if you get to the paddock late but it is there.
In outfitting your trailer, get one of the plastic pop-up picnic tables for your wife. My trailer is wired for both AC/DC so that I can have lights regardless of the circumstances. I have a deep cycle battery wired up for the winch and other power stuff in the trailer.
Ive never tried for the tv, internet, etc at the track but if you are trying to be the center of the social activity, it wouldnt hurt.

pgipson
01-20-2004, 07:47 PM
For internet coverage, both Sprint & Verizon (and others?) offer a wireless modem service for data that seems to work pretty well. The system uses cellular frequencies and a typical connect rate is is the 100K rate.

01-20-2004, 08:47 PM
This is what my brother has I think. He uses his cell phone as a modem to connect to his laptop. I may have to borrow his cell on race weekends. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Awesome info guys.

AC/DC?

Is AC power from generator or track via extension cord.

Is DC power from a battery? What kind of battery do you guys get for your trailer and how long do they usually last before having to be charged.