PDA

View Full Version : transponder location

88YB1
01-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Is there any regulations concerning hard wired AMB transponder locations? Sans requirements what is the prefered location. The instructions that came with the unit only tequires verticle mounting and no metal between the unit and track.
Chuck

racer_tim
01-13-2004, 01:47 PM
I would put it as close to the front of the car as possible.

This unit is ONLY to be used for TIMING, but I've seen it used for SCORING in the past. If that's what T&S are using it for, I'm screwed. Mine is on the inner rear right wheel well. Oh well. I've never had that close of a finish anyway.

We also have small circle "T" decals which are located on the outside of the car, so that tech can "wand" the unit to see if it's working properlly.

Tim

[This message has been edited by racer_tim (edited January 13, 2004).]

ddewhurst
01-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Chuck, mount the transponder in a location that it will not receive damage during a situation. Don't need to add another $300 to the repair cost.

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

Peter Olivola
01-13-2004, 02:17 PM
The transponder needs to have a clear signal path to the loop. No metal below or in front of the transponder is the most critical issue. Keep it as low as possible. It's hard to keep it entirely protected and satisfy the no-metal requirement. However, the transponder itself is a very rugged piece. We have seen them survive direct hits and fires.

joeg
01-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Chuck--There are no regulations.

Now go heed all the advice in the prior posts about location.

Cheers.

22timber
01-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Mine's mounted on the firewall, low, on the opposite side from the exhaust. Clear shot to the track surface, easy access to power source and more protected than other places I've seen (such as wheelwell).

88YB1
01-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys. That's just what I needed to know. I have a plastic pan in the front compartment ( where most cars put an engine) which meets all the recommendations. Low, protected, up front, and no metal.

Chuck

Turfer
01-13-2004, 10:46 PM
FYI--The Club Ford guys up here in the NW are installing them inside their bodywork above the aluminum pan. They have not had any trouble with weak signals or missed laps shooting through the thin guage material.

datadude
01-16-2004, 12:52 PM
If there is any metal underneath the transponder cut a circle about 6" in diameter. The transponder sends its signal in an inverted cone shape.