PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection for infants/children

titanium
12-30-2003, 11:06 PM
With the racing season starting in 10 days, I am looking for a solution to the above subject. As many racer friends in Florida already know, Tammy and I had our first child on November 24th. (see pictures on the website) What experience have you had with hearing protection for your childern? Are there ear muffs designed just for children? (The Harbor Freight catalog I recieved today has no ear muffs listed for children)
Suggestions?
Rodney Williamson
#93 IT7
www.titaniummotorsports.com (http://www.titaniummotorsports.com)

[This message has been edited by titanium (edited December 30, 2003).]

jc836
12-31-2003, 06:01 AM
Congrat's on the little one.
As to hearing protection-YES there are devices that can be adapted for infants. Take a look at companies such as EAR Corp. The products that are available are both in-ear and over the head. I suspect the headset type will be way too large for you newborn.
The alternate would be a very lightweight pair of headphones and a "white-noise" generator. This sort of device is available fromfirms specializing in sound control and are also used by performers.
I am sensitive to your search as I retired from the electronics industry.You might want to look at the Electronic Engineers Master (EEM) online too for sources. Last possibility isyou local hearing and speech society.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

7racing
12-31-2003, 10:30 AM
JC, great suggestions. I've been trying to find something for my son as well. Problem is, he won't keep anything on his ears. We had some good luck with cotton and some masking tape. That worked for a little while. The over-head ear muffs are a too big, and again, he pulls them right off.

Keeping something on his ears has been the hardest part.

Good luck,
Jeremy

SpeedyDave
12-31-2003, 11:30 AM
we used the wax-like children's ear protection in our infant's ears. Available from most drug stores. Had to tear the wax in half or so to be small enough but worked great. She didn't like it going in, but it made a big difference, she wasn't quite as upset when the big bore cars or the mazdas went by in the paddock.

almracing
12-31-2003, 12:24 PM
This past summer we brought our girl at 3 mths old to the track. I cut in half a soft "EAR" ear plug and used those with pretty good success. I would imagine that this season we will have the same issue as Jeremy... a willfull child who doesn't want something in the ear.

Anthony R.
ITA #86 NER

MMiskoe
12-31-2003, 02:08 PM
We were also concerned w/ our son and were able to find a couple of types of ear plugs that are designed for kids to wear while swimming. Although not designed for noise protection, they do muffle sound as a side effect of keeping water out. They are however designed with kids in mind - ie cheap, easy to mold in to ears of different sizes and no big deal if it gets eaten. I think "water babies" was the name. They are a putty conisitancy that you just wad into their ears.

Get the little tyke there asap, the sooner they start hearing things the sooner they think those things are just part of life. Our guy slept through the start of the GT-1 race while standing 30' from the edge of the track at age 2 months. Unmuffled rotaries are about the only thing he gets ruffled by.

lateapex911
12-31-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MMiskoe:
...... the sooner they start hearing things the sooner they think those things are just part of life.

They're not??? Uh-oh...

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> Our guy slept through the start of the GT-1 race while standing 30' from the edge of the track at age 2 months. Unmuffled rotaries are about the only thing he gets ruffled by.</font>

Oh, sure, it never ends, even the two month olds hate my car! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

122 Vega
01-01-2004, 01:46 AM
[nurse on] Just be careful that upon removal that you get the whole ear plug material out. children are more susceptable to ear infections as most of us know. Usually they are from the inner ear/eustation tube, but they can get infections in the tunnel from foreign objects, which cause increased wax production.[/nurse off]

I am guilty... I took my 3 day old to the 2.5 Challenge at the Portland historics this past summer. He liked it all except the historic NASCARs! that's my boy! the noise itself really didn't seem to bother him. He sleeps through the vaccuum, the diswasher, the tv, and a lot of other stuff. He hates the coffee grinder though.

Britt

------------------
Soon to be SSC Mazda MP3

Vintage Cosworth Vega

gsbaker
01-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
Oh, sure, it never ends, even the two month olds hate my car! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Look on the bright side Jake. If your car is noisy, it must be running.

Ouch! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Gregg

[Edit: can't spell]

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited January 02, 2004).]

x-ring
01-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Check with a shoooters supply, or maybe a well stocked sporting goods store. I think Silencio (sp?) used to make a muff type protector sized for children.

Ty