PDA

View Full Version : Paving at Nelson Ledges

xr4racer
11-19-2003, 02:16 AM
Pictures can be found at www.relentlessrallysport.com/smart/pages/nelson.html (http://www.relentlessrallysport.com/smart/pages/nelson.html)

[This message has been edited by xr4racer (edited November 19, 2003).]

Tom Blaney
11-19-2003, 08:10 AM
Wow, pavement at Nelsons, now all they have to do is pave a way to the OUTHOUSES, so that the flys and mosquotos will have a nice clean and dry place to wait to SUCK THE BLOOD OUT OF YOU before you get a chance to wipe...

once a rat hole always a rat hole

xr4racer
11-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Obviously you have not been there recently. Granted a lot of work was needed, but many things have been done since you were there. Real bathrooms, paddock roads and roads to flag stations. painted guardrails, viewing platform and a whole lot of drainage tile installation and tree removal have taken place. The track is under new management by someone making good decisions on where to put the money into the facility. So, come and race your car next yar and see the improvement with more to come.

RX767
11-19-2003, 10:53 AM
xr4racer,
Thanks for the update. This is great news. Nelson Ledges is track I really enjoy, and I plan on running there three time next season.

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23

OTLimit
11-19-2003, 11:24 AM
I was at Nelson one time, and that for a 24-hour motorcycle race. The lingering impressions are not likely to get me to drive 12 hours to go back.

How about a website with good pictures of the improvements? That might do more to change peoples attitudes than anything.

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

R2 Racing
11-19-2003, 12:40 PM
You can't polish a turd. I like to see that they're making changes but they're just not really where I want to see them. Some grading, sand traps, re-stack the tire walls, and some burms and we'll talk.

joeg
11-19-2003, 12:45 PM
It's an acquired taste, but that track is still the most exciting (and fastest) 2 mile natural terrain road course around.

The improvements are continuing and substantial.

I actually worry about repaving because it can make speeds too high. However, the Carossel should be neat!

slackerjay
11-19-2003, 12:52 PM
do you know when these were taken?? i heard they were making some major progress at the track. remember when beaver run was being built everyone said nelson would need to step up and make a better facility to survive...looks like they are. glad to see it..it's one of the fastest tracks in the northeast.

~jay

joeg
11-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Would have had to have been taken within the last week or so. The Pumpkin race was on the old pavement (with a lot of water courtesy of mother nature).

Scott Nutter
11-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Damn iT!

They are removing my excuses for being a turd http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

I wish there was some way to make those fast cars still run on the old stuff while I could run on the new.

rgrunenw
11-20-2003, 10:37 PM
I agree with the previous post about fixing the off-track sections. I was at an event a year and half ago, and 5 cars rolled. 5 out of 120 - too high a percentage for me.

Even good drivers make mistakes now and then, have mechnanical failures, or are forced to take evasive action. Any number of things can put you off track, and this is where Nelson needs the most improvement.

Having said that, I also agree it is one of the most fun tracks around!

JDEllis
12-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by rgrunenw:
I agree with the previous post about fixing the off-track sections. I was at an event a year and half ago, and 5 cars rolled. 5 out of 120 - too high a percentage for me.

Rich:

I heard that a lot of those were due to the new curbing serving as a launching pad. Can you elaborate on that?

Debbie Lafond had a bunch of pics at PRI. The track looked greatly improved. So far, my Nelson experience is limited to SCGT, but given the improvements, I make have to make a trip up at some point. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Thanks,
J.D.

------------------
J.D. Ellis
OVR #71 ITS Olds Calais
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by JDEllis (edited December 08, 2003).]

joeg
12-09-2003, 09:21 AM
I heard that a lot of those were due to the new curbing serving as a launching pad. Can you elaborate on that?

If you liked "launches", the curbing they put in several years ageo (since removed) really did the trick. It was strings of tires on their sides bolted together, but not anchored.

Not only could they launch the car, the tire chain would also get dislodged and fly out onto the track.

The regular curbing (whatever is left) is not that bad!