PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting these reponses for ads?

Sphinx
11-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Is anyone getting these bizarre inquiries for items for sale. I've been contacted by three guys who seem to have no clue what I'm selling and are willing to pay any price. These seem like scammers and I was wondering if anyone else had had experiences with this sort of thing. Here's the text of one that I got:

"Hello,
This is [deleted] will the reason why i mailed you was that i saw you advert placed on net that you want to sell the above mentioned item
please if is still available kindly tell me?
1.the current condition
2.your asking price(tell If negotiable)
3.the goods picture
4.Its age
Do not worry about the shipping I will contact my shipping company to come for the pick up as soon as payment is made.
best regards"

One guy even wanted me to ship my $3500 car across the Atlantic!

[This message has been edited by Sphinx (edited November 28, 2003).]

Greg Amy
11-28-2003, 11:22 AM
These have all the markings of a common scam.

The way it works is you cut a deal with the guy. When it comes time for payment, one of two things happens:

- He sends you far too much money, usually by Money Order
- He tells you he's intentionally overpaying you because he owes someone "in the States" money.

In the first case, immediately after receiving the MO you get a frantic call telling you it was an administrative mistake; would you please send the difference to him ASAP in the form of a money order (same as he sent to you) so that a) the account doesn't get overdrawn, B) his wife doesn't find out, c) the boss doesn't find out, d) insert reason here. In each case you send the difference and then you find his moeny order bounced. You're out the money.

The latter case is a variation of the first: can you send the difference, via money order, to the third party so that he doesn't have to send in two international money orders? No prob, you say, he paid on a money order. You guessed it: it bounces.

There are myriad variations on the theme, and all have ben tried. There's always new and clever ways to part fools with their money, so beware. If it sounds too good to be true...

SpeedyDave
11-28-2003, 11:26 AM
this is a common variation of the Nigerian scam, (http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/)

Essentially they will offer to pay way over the asking price, pay by international money order, and have you send the difference to them. Their money order ends up bouncing, long after your money has cleared. Very typical in car sales and bike sales.

Sphinx
11-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Folks, beware, I'm getting these emails as a result of ads put in the classified section of this forum and sccaforums.com - no where else.

OTLimit
11-28-2003, 12:25 PM
This scam and it's various versions have been all through the horse, dog, and cat world. Maybe now they found what they consider a new source of "marks."

We even got such a response on our trailer, and it was amazing how fast the email stopped when we informed them that we would not ship the trailer until we received confirmation from our bank that the Int'l MO was good.

Just don't respond, and they all go away.

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

tdw6974
11-28-2003, 06:51 PM
I have a set of tires and wheels posted and recieved a call from an AT&T operator(Legit) from a "Physically challenged person" using the AT&T transfer system. This person would type a message to Operator she would read t o me and I would respond and I could hear her type reply. About 3 Statements In it had a familar Ring. I aked location for shipment. "A canadian businessman presently in West Africa" Call ended right there. Caution. One email was going to pay up to $3,000 for shipping.

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi haulin' Rotary"

Knestis
11-28-2003, 09:17 PM
The scary thing is that the fact that we continue to get solicitations of this type is evidence that they are actually profitable - the work often enough to be worth the trouble.

K

Prince Makaha
11-29-2003, 09:23 AM
I pity the fool who sends me a money order for far too much.

check cashing stores rule.

Sphinx
11-29-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Prince Makaha:
I pity the fool who sends me a money order for far too much.

check cashing stores rule.

I think what these guys are saying is that these money orders are likely counterfiet.

rage_racing
11-29-2003, 01:30 PM
I actually am dealing with this now
I sold my quad last week but in the process of this I got about 10 emails from a european broker who kept twlling me he would pay the asking price plus whatever overseas shipping is..
well I sold the quad and didnt put much more thouhgt into it well a few days ago a bank check for 7000 shows up in my mail ..
the quad is gone and I have a 7K check..
in which the remainder was supposed to be refunded to him...
any thoughts??

solo/itc rabbit
11-29-2003, 09:44 PM
sounds like one i had last week...got a call from an operator who said the person was hearing impaired,wanted to buy the lancia i have for sale(which it still is...cheap
plug http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif)...he wantes to send me a bank check for $4500.00 then i was to send the ballance to his shipping company....for some
reason the hair on the back of my neck stood on end...so i didnt reply to any more of his e-mails....this guy was supposidly from england....I still have his e-mail address if there is any one has the ability to track
down if this is legit or not...
thnx for any help in advance...Pat

Diane
11-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by rage_racing:

well I sold the quad and didnt put much more thouhgt into it well a few days ago a bank check for 7000 shows up in my mail ..
the quad is gone and I have a 7K check..
in which the remainder was supposed to be refunded to him...
any thoughts??

Wow, did you ever give him your address? I know a lot of guys selling cars on other forums that have gotten those emails but none with a check.

Diane

Greg Amy
11-29-2003, 11:45 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">check for 7000 shows up in my mail...the quad is gone and I have a 7K check...</font>

Which is irrelevant, given the check will bounce. Don't even bother depositing it, just throw it away. Depositing it will cost you $7.50 in returned check fees, at least...

rage_racing
11-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Does the Name Terry Bruce sound familiar he is the guy trhat was emailing me and stated he was from England..
all messages ended with
Best Regards
Terry Bruce

I sent my address to 4 guys who were wanting to come look at the quad and i think that when I was cutting and pasting I put his email in by mistake instead of one of the others that was coming to see it.oops

Tom Donnelly
12-05-2003, 11:30 AM
I'm glad I came across this thread. The stuff I've advertised and sold here has been getting these responses. I was offered over 3 times the asking price from someone in Europe. Even after the stuff has been sold.

Tom

SpeedyDave
12-05-2003, 06:30 PM
All,
As I mentioned above, this is all a very dangerous scam.
They are very dangerous people running this, and if you are being contacted or received a money order, you need to contact the FBI immediately. They are well aware of it.
I am told suspected are the same group of Nigerians who killed businessmen who they lured into Nigeria illegally then blackmailed.
Don't screw around with these people.

zracer22
12-06-2003, 09:54 PM
This is called a "419" Scam. Here is a link to a website about two guys that get even with some of these creeps. You will piss your pants laughing as you read. Enjoy!!!
http://www.geocities.com/scamjokepage/

John Herman
12-08-2003, 08:38 AM
There was a big article in the Detroit Free Press this past weekend on this exact scam. There were several people who fell for it for up to $7500. Obviously people can get away with it, so they do it. The jist of the article had to do with a loophole in the American banking regulations. Seems the banks need to make the funds available to the depositer of the checks within a 24 hour period. Of course, there is no way for an overseas check to be verified in that time. So now these people (the scammee) think the check is good because it shows up on their accounts. So they sent the "extra" money and/or items to the scammer. A week or two later when the banks figure out the check is no good, they come after the scammee for the funds. The banks are within their legal right because they say when the account was openned, it was in the small print (yeah, like we all read it and remember it)that the person's whose name is on the account, is ultimately responsible if bad checks are depositted to the account. Some people have been able to work out deals with their banks.