PDA

View Full Version : Saturn SC2/SL2 competitive in ITA?

eMKay
11-29-2003, 03:31 PM
HP/weight looks good, aftermarket parts seem readily available, parts are really cheap (engines under $300 around here), repairing minor body damage just requires swapping out plastic panels, and the car is simple to work on...really simple for a modern car (my wife has a '99)

Other than the Saturn I am also considering a Civic (ITC or ITA) and an RX7 (SRX7 or ITA). I am not looking to win right away, just looking to learn how to build and race on the big tracks, and maybe not finish last http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

I want to build my own car (I know buying one is cheaper/easier, but I want to do it myself)

Greg Gauper
11-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Have you thought about a Saturn in SSC?

They certainly are fast enough to win the Runoffs!

You could do it in stages. Build and race in SSC for a few years on a modest budget to gain experience, upgrade to IT after that....

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited November 29, 2003).]

eMKay
11-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Well, the issue with SSC is cost, I want to buy a '91-'95 beater for $1000 or under, by the time I get it ready and get my license I am looking at 2005 to race a full season, by then even a '95 is in it's final year of eligibility for SSC. I want to start in IT and eventually upgrade to production.

[This message has been edited by eMKay (edited November 29, 2003).]

Eagle7
11-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Chris Berube from Sterling Hts, MI is VERY competitive in his Saturn SC2. He and Jamie Quaderer in a pretty fast CRX ran 1/2 and 2/1 at Grattan on Labor Day weekend.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

planet6racing
11-29-2003, 05:48 PM
And, sure, no one tells him to contact me! Geez, I tell you... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Anyway, the SC, the SC2, and the SL2 can be competitive in IT. Check out James Walker's site at www.teamscr.com (http://www.teamscr.com) (you may contact him directly because, rumor has it, his car is for sale). He's been racing for awhile now and has always been a front runner. I'm just through my first year and can easily see that the car has the potential to run up-front.

I'll tell you some of the pitfalls about racing a Saturn, though. Aftermarket. SPS is the only true aftermarket supplier. As a result, prices tend to be a little higher than what a typical part for a Honda would run. Additionally, some parts (like high performance struts) just aren't made without specially ordering, and, well, you know how much that will cost. It's fairly easy to reprogram a Honda computer, but Saturn still hasn't released the encryption codes to the aftermarket.

But, don't let this sway you from the Saturn. It's just things to think about. Mine is sitting in the garage now with the engine and trans out, just waiting for next year. The best part about the Saturn: polymer panels. People can make contact, get a dent, but the panel on the Saturn bounces right back! (of course, contact is frowned upon, but this is racing!)

Anyway, if you want any information about building your Saturn, please feel free to contact me directly. Heck, if your in my area, come on over and check out my SL2.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

lateapex911
11-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by planet6racing:
And, sure, no one tells him to contact me! Geez, I tell you... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Well, Bill, I was about to, then I thought...."Why bother...? He'll respond before I hit "Submit"!"

So.when you have on track contact, do the corner workers call in with a "Metal to Polymer contact" call??? (Not that you ever do!) http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited November 29, 2003).]

Anubis
11-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Jake... no, its still called metal to metal although now thinking about it I guess you would have to call it metal to polymer. Somethin tells me it would just confuse the bejeebers out of people in control though. Be nice to see more Saturns out there, would love to get rid of my SC1 an get an ION but that will be a few more years.

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C

I watched the Indy 500, and I was thinking that if they left
earlier they wouldn't have to go so fast.

eMKay
11-30-2003, 01:17 AM
Wow, planet6racing, thanks for the link, there is a lot of info on that site for sure. I will definately be putting the SC2 up there with the Honda in my search, and up here Saturns last longer than Honda's...Oh, and there are a lot more Saturns sold here too (#1 and 2 dealers in the country, for the 33rd largest market) so it will be easier to find one.

------------------
Autocrosser looking to turn road racer.

03.5 Mazda Protege5. WNY SCCA 14hs (03 champ)

almracing
12-02-2003, 11:36 AM
I had an SC2 as a daily driver and looked into converting it into a race car. I ended up buying a race prepared CRX. I wanted to spend time racing, not building. The SC2 has been successful, but it would take alot of development (aka time and money)... and as was mentioned, performance part supplies are limited.

Anthony R.
#86 ITA CRX
SCCA - NER

planet6racing
12-03-2003, 06:11 PM
The Team scR Saturn SC ITA car is officially for sale. You'll find it in the classified section of this site. They are expecting their 2nd child and James wants to spend more time with the family (understandably so).

If you are seriously considering racing a Saturn, this is the way to go. James is not exagerating when he says it would take $35K to build the car (and I know. I'm closing in on that figure faster than I thought I would!). Everything about that car has been built correctly, owing to the fact that James was a former Saturn Chassis engineer and now Brake engineer at a Tier 1 supplier.

If I had the money, I'd have this car in my garage already!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

eMKay
12-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Wow, if I had $14,000 to spare it would be in my garage (actually, next to it in my already prepared racecar spot) Unfortunately I don't. My budget allows me to do basic, minimum mods.