PDA

View Full Version : car insurance for street registered IT racecar

taloyd
11-17-2003, 06:55 PM
hello,

I just went to add my IT car to my car insurance policy, and was denied cold.

Does anybody know of any car insurance company that will insure an IT car, or do I have to lie to them and tell them that I do not race the car, ignore the stickers, and the roll cage is for safety (which it is).

thanks,
very pissed off,

-tal

itaracer
11-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Pissed Off,

If you're just getting liability coverage it should not be a problem. Lots of people put cages and racing seats/restraints these days. You might want to nix the graphics.

For comprehensive coverage thats another matter. you usually have to take teh car by the agents office for a photo.

RSTPerformance
11-17-2003, 07:05 PM
You have already written the car off as it is a race car, so their is no sense in getting collision... just get liability and possibly you could try for comprehensive, and they shouldn't ever need to look at the car. I have never brought my car to any insurance companies I have ever dealt with (but I don't have collision).

Raymond

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited November 17, 2003).]

Knestis
11-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Liability only SHOULD not be a problem but I've been looking and haven't yet found the answer. I'm in the same boat, looking for liability coverage and maybe something in case the garage falls on the car or it leaps off of the trailer.

Please share any ideas that you come across.

Kirk

itaracer
11-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Kirk,

If the garage falls in on your car there is a good chance that your home owners insurance will cover the damage. If it "jumps" off your trailer it should be covered by your tow vehicles insurance provided you have comprehensive coverage. The best bet is to call your agent and pose the questions to him. Leave out the part about it being a "race" car.
You may want to tell him that you buy and sell used autos as a hobby. Do not tell him they are vintage or collectable.

taloyd
11-17-2003, 09:58 PM
hello all,

This IS for liability only. They unconditionally refuse to cover any car that has been "modified for use in racing"

My agent said there is a new law that all cars 15 years of age and older have to pass a visual inspection for proper operation of signal lights, parking brake, and horn. All of which I have.

I'm going to go to another insurance place and see if they'll do it without looking at the car. I've spent some $700 making it street legal (registration fees, removable catalytic converter, etc.)...

thanks again,

-tal

------------------
_ _ ______ _ _
tal allweil
1988 Honda CRX Si
ITA #16
1990 Volvo 744ti
Solo 2 GS

joeg
11-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Tal--Where are you located? That seems to be a rather strange law requiring visual inspections--for an insurer. Most likely, that's an insurance company rule for its agents/ brokers.

Try a different company!

Greg Amy
11-18-2003, 10:39 AM
My ITS NX2000 is covered by State Farm for liability insurace only. It is registered in the State of Connecticut and passed its last emissions inspection.

Of course, I didn't call up the insurance company and say, "hey, I've got a stripped-out SCCA race car I need to license for the street; how much will insurance cost?" As long as the car is covered by liability only and has passed the inspection and emissions requirements of the state the insurance company has no reason - or motivation - to inspect it themselves.

You shoulda seen the emissions-testing flunky's eyes when I rolled up to the station with a stripped-out interior, racing seat, and rollcage...priceless.

Knestis
11-18-2003, 10:45 AM
However, several insurance companies ask, "Will this vehicle be used for racing or any other contest of speed?" just as a matter of course, when a new car is added.

Just to find out what that meant, I asked about "those things where people drive around cones in a parking lot." Result: A very unhappy sounding phone service person referred me to an even less unhappy manager. He explained in no uncertain terms that any racing activities would result in loss of coverage for all vehicles.

Still shopping...

K

Greg Amy
11-18-2003, 10:48 AM
To quote one of my favorite movie lines:

"When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!!!"

Diane
11-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by grega:
You shoulda seen the emissions-testing flunky's eyes when I rolled up to the station with a stripped-out interior, racing seat, and rollcage...priceless.

The kid who took my info loved the car but was too tall to get in it. The shortest person they could find (they wouldn't let me drive it on the treadmill) was an older woman who could barely drive stick. I had to extract her from the car.

About the insurance, I just called my long-time agent and added the car. Of course "this" year I got a call that said "Great American wants to know why you have so many cars and are you hiding other drivers in the house? My response was "do they still want my timely payments???" It helps to have a good agent that deals with multiple insurance companies.

I even got a windshield replaced in the race car - it was broken when I got it and the last rock *was* from the street - but it's not something I'd try often.

Luckily I had the car registered when they did not have to go to DMV - those guys scare me to death!

Diane

wpspeedracer
11-20-2003, 05:57 PM
State Farm insured my 944, however, it's obviously not insured while it's on the track and another important thing to remember, it's only insured what the car is value according to State Farms Replacement Index based on the year/make/ & model so you will never recover all those 'Race Car Improvements' that you put in the car.

Mark #54

cherokee
11-21-2003, 11:33 AM
State Farm does my car too. They do all my stuff, tow,trailer,house...everything. The MR2 has just got liability on it they never asked a thing about racing the car. You are correct about it jumping off the trailer, your liability does not take care of that. I realy cranked up the ins. on the motorhome and trailer...I felt that if anything went wrong with that I could do a MASSIVE amount of damage with that sucker. Just a little CYA..you know.

tdw6974
11-21-2003, 04:35 PM
MOST policies will have an "Exclusion" for Coverage "To a motor vehicle while being used in any prearranged or organized racing,speed,timed,demolition,stunting activity,competititive event,or driver education conducted on racetrack, or in practice preparation for such event or or course" Most liabilty policies extend liability if your trailer comes lose from the tow vechicle but WILL NOT repair the damage to the "Race Car" and the trailer would need collision coverage to repair it. If your car comes loose from trailer and ends up in the oncoming lane I doubt that there is ANY coverage. more and More companies are requiring photos of vehicles when comp and collision is written (Trying to avoid Phamton Vehicles) Most companies are now excluding coverage for cars used in retail/wholesale delivery. IE Pizza, newspaper and mail delivery. Best way and only sure way I suspect is to call one of the companies specializing in "Race Car coverage" K&K comes to mind. Remember just because they don't ask and you don't tell(Hmm seems to have a familar ring) doesn't mean your covered. Check Your Policies exclusions that's what costs you money not what's covered. It is not an easy situation and will very by company rules and state rules. As far as Homeowners covering your car while in your garage it again is doubtfull as most policy are now excluding "Auto in dead storage" and their associated parts and/or accesories. Please don't shoot the messenger. TW

Swifster
12-06-2003, 12:22 AM
OK, this is the skinny from someone who has worked as an insurance adjuster since 1985. First, if you are building your car from the ground up, insure the car before tearing it apart. You can even get away with putting collision on the car in most cases ("you want to put collision on that???"). When starting a build that my see street duty, I call and have the car added with comp for glass breakage issues. For the record, I've had cars insured with AAA-Missouri and State Farm. Never had a problem and never had a claim on these cars.

If the work has already been started, the best you can hope for is liability. You can't mention the word racecar, you can't let them see it, and don't even ask questions about ANY kind of competition.

If anything happens that you need to make a claim while the car is insured, just be advised to that they may cover your loss, but they WILL cancel you. Surprised that they will cover you? Remember that they have accepted a premium. They can not deny coverage after the fact. But don't try to claim track damage. Most likely you will need to supply a police report, etc.

Many states are tort states, meaning that if you weren't at fault in the accident, the other company pays. Most likely they won't advised your company of the decals. Just don't anger the adjuster.

About that last statement. I'll relay a little story. About 15-16 years ago I got an assignment to look at a Buick Grand National here in MI. The guy had dated a close friend of mine a few years earlier and had treated her rather poorly.

The car had some minor front end damage that also included the hood. I opened the hood and staring me in the face is a race engine with nitrous. Needless to say, after I got done with the underwriting department, he was no longer insured with the company I worked for.

I've also let some of this stuff slide on other cars, because in my opinion, there was no issue with the loss. DON'T ANGER THE ADJUSTER! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Swifster (edited December 05, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Swifster (edited December 05, 2003).]

bldn10
12-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Tal, exactly what types of risk do you want covered? Do you actually drive the car on the street? I assume you don't really mean that you want to pass racing damage off on the ins. co. do you?