PDA

View Full Version : How long does a suit last?

JeffYoung
11-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Finished my first year racing with a few dings on the car, but also my license. Learned tons.

Just finished doing the "final wash" to my suit before putting it away for the winter. Damn thing looks like it is five years old (it was new in February, and OMP Trend -- bottom of the line but still supposedly a "nice" suit).

Stains, runs from the piping. And, on the seat, a few places where it is just starting to fray a bit.

I never went crazy cleaning the thing. Cold water, delicate and air dry. Had it properly dry cleaned one time.

What gives? Do these things only last a couple of years? If that's the deal, that's the deal, but I was hoping to avoid buying a new suit every other year. Or maybe that's just part of racing.

zracer22
11-30-2003, 11:37 PM
two words: dry clean

moto62
12-01-2003, 12:03 AM
Make that three words- dry clean only. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray

Phat-S
12-01-2003, 12:05 AM
It might be the manufacturer. I own an OMP (don't recall the model) and it started to fray around the gussets about 1/2 through its first season. Only cold water washed on delicate cycle w/ Whoolite and it never saw the dryer or a dry cleaner. After a couple repairs and loosing some weight, I decided to buy another suit (Momo) and just looking at the two of them, the Momo seems to be of a much tougher construction w/out feeling any tougher. Whereas it might just be you and I (and a few others I spoke with) I personally will not purchase another OMP _wear_ item http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif Oh yeah, my OMP gloves got wet and the palms became thread-bare. Don't get me wrong, I am sure they make good products, I simply have had very poor luck with them.

------------------
Adam in Charlotte
#42 ITA CRX Si (http://www.ipsolve.com/RaceStuff)

[This message has been edited by Phat-S (edited November 30, 2003).]

lateapex911
12-01-2003, 01:34 AM
My old cheapo Racer Wholesale bag-o-suit has just given up the ghost this year. I am embarassed to say how old it is, and I actually don't know....I'm the second owner!

The fire retardent probably has been long gone, but the suit held up well.

Now, it was never a looker....but it did hang together.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Quickshoe
12-01-2003, 01:47 AM
A few more than two words...I know "shocker!"

Dry Clean
Don't wear it around the paddock.
Don't wear it out to dinner after the race.
Don't fuel or work on the car while wearing it.
Red tends to fade very quickly.
Any safety wire, ty-wraps or other sharp objects in and around your 'office' should be de-sharpened. Your crew and your suit will thank you.
When having the suit cleaned make certain all the velcro closures are closed. They tend to grab bits of material from areas of your suit during handling.

I had a Simpson that lasted 12 years without a seam failure. Looked like dookie.

The FIA and SFI regulations require testing after something like 30+ "washings". Don't remember the exact number, but suffice it to say that the material will still be fire retardent for quite some time.

I don't think there are any suits constructed today in a manner that will allow them to stay intact for 12 years.

I didn't buy another respected "Euro" suit because a fellow racer had a seam failure in the shoulder area after 2 events!!

I'd believe these are the exceptions and not the rule. Regardless of brand, inspect the suit very carefully before you leave the store because once you leave it will be yours. A Customs/US Postal Inspector got my first OMP with a razor knife, glad it was caught before it got to me. Delayed the suit 3 weeks, but at least I didn't accept it and then discover it!!

Knestis
12-01-2003, 08:50 AM
You don't say if your suit is Nomex or borated cotton. If it's Nomex, NO amount of washing will deteriorate its fire/heat resistance.

If the suit is physically coming apart - seams opening and material fraying - that's a quality control issue.

I look like I'm in the minority but my time with a suit manufacturer did NOT leave me thinking that they have to be drycleaned: The only additional wear is the result of bumping around in the washer. Use a gentle cycle and hang it (out of the sun!) to dry. Turn the suit inside-out to minimize abrasion, particularly to patches and embroidery.

None of the NomexIII colored fibers are very colorfast so sun really makes them look nappy quickly.

Kirk

whenry
12-01-2003, 09:40 AM
I still have my original Pyrotect suit and still wear it at times(and it is right now in the possession of my last renter supposedly being cleaned). Proper care and not just in cleaning will keep a suit in good shape for years. Except for a few really cold racing days ie ARRC, I do not wear my suit around. Partially because I do not like heat, I get out of my suit as soon as possible and never wear it while working on the car. My second suit is a Simpson 3 layer and it is holding up well too.

BMW RACER
12-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Way back in '83 when I started running the Alliance Cup I treated myself to a three layer Simpson, I still have it. I've always dry cleaned it. I still wear it occaisionally the biggest problem is it seems to have shrunk over the last few years, it just seems a little harder to fit into than when it was new. (and I was just 30)
I also change out of my suit as soon as I get back to my trailer.

joeg
12-01-2003, 05:49 PM
I also have a Pyrotech single layer suit bought in 1984. It can still be used (with underwear).

I lent it out to someone going to school.

Dry cleaning as well as taking the thing off as soon as the race session is over is the key.

USGUYS
12-01-2003, 06:03 PM
I will try to set the current record. I bought my suit in April 1976 from Wrep Industries. I have the same single layer suit and underwear. I raced on average 4-5 times per year.
Except for one of the cuffs showing some wear it looks like the day I bought it. Beige nomex, Blue stripes. I look like Steve McQueen in LeMans, at least from the neck down. A vintage suit for a vintage driver.
Cold water, air dry, no car repairs allowed.

MMiskoe
12-01-2003, 09:44 PM
I have a Pyrotec single layer that is been around more than once. Its at least 6 years old & gets worn about 10 events a year. I try to get out of it emmediately, but I end up having to wear it all day at enduro's when I've had to do fuel or at drivers schools. Recently did a suspension repair during a race w/ it on. It doesn't have a mark on it & I usually look like Messy Marvin by the end of a day. It gets machine washed (delicate w/ woolite) about every 3-4 wearings. After each race it gets hung out to dry. The long underwear is another story, it only lasts about 2-3 seasons.

I had been thinking of getting a "better" suit until I read this thread.

Tkczecheredflag
12-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by MMiskoe:
I have a Pyrotec single layer that is been around more than once. Its at least 6 years old & gets worn about 10 events a year. I try to get out of it emmediately, but I end up having to wear it all day at enduro's when I've had to do fuel or at drivers schools. Recently did a suspension repair during a race w/ it on. It doesn't have a mark on it & I usually look like Messy Marvin by the end of a day. It gets machine washed (delicate w/ woolite) about every 3-4 wearings. After each race it gets hung out to dry. The long underwear is another story, it only lasts about 2-3 seasons.

I had been thinking of getting a "better" suit until I read this thread.
Purchased a OMP First Suit in Aprl of 1997, cold water machined washed, air dry and it's still holding up nicely. I did have to do some minor hand stitching of the seam in the seat but no more than normal wear and tear.
Tim Klvana
2002 NERRC Champion
2003 NARRC Champion
ITC #11