PDA

View Full Version : fire suppression systems

sgallimo
11-19-2003, 05:26 PM
I just received a flyer from FireCharger on a user rechargable fire suppression system that uses aqueous film forming foam. It got me thinking about replacing the ole fire extinguisher with a real systems. So if you were installing a fire suppression system in your IT car would you rather have a system that uses this foam, Cold Fire, or Halon??

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

jc836
11-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Let the opinions flow on this one.
The 2 best on-board types currently in use are Halon and AFFF. Personal choice has been the Halon. We are doing the install over the winter. Currently, I have a 2.5lb Purple K unit next to me and feel comfortable with that. The advantage of the Halon is it leaves no mess whatsoever. The disadvantage is you MUST get out of the car immediately upon activating it. The foam system will suppress most fires very rapidly and offers you more time to get out-but there is cleanup. Yes-Purple K can be messy too. Finally, the availability of suds that are environmentally friendly is something to consider versus the Halon.
That is my take on this touchy subject.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

racer_tim
11-19-2003, 07:53 PM
Halon is going to get more and more restrictive to charge, and maintain. I know the guys @ Firecharger, and my next unit will be one of theirs.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

[This message has been edited by racer_tim (edited November 19, 2003).]