PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in racing

Ceipher
10-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any insights as to how to get involoved in racing for the first time. I just bought an '86 scirroco 16v thats striped and it legal, now I just need to get my foot in the door. Any suggestions? Oh yea, if it matters, I live in St. Louis MO.

------------------
"The truest test of courage is always the last one"

Ceipher
10-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey, me again. I was also wondering how har dit is to get sponsors because I'm a bit strapped for cash lol. Thanks

------------------

Speed Raycer
10-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Hey Ceipher. A fellow St. Louisin! Shoot me an email and I can fill you in on some things. Too bad you just missed the last road race of the year at Gateway this past weekend! You could have come out and had a look!

[email protected]

------------------
Scott
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it

http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/rudder_racing/images/RX7_Pictures/SRsRX/SRsRX7.jpg

mumbles027
10-29-2003, 12:24 AM
i am also going to try and get on the track. but my plan is a little different.i have a 90 nissan 240 sx shell with all the parts plus some extra. so i am going to try and put together a somewhat compedative car for the 05 season. if there is anyone in se mi i would love to sit down with someone to talk about things.

shwah
10-29-2003, 02:17 AM
There are plenty of VW racers in your neck of the woods - Chris Albin, Chuck Mathis, Dave Corbitt is putting together an ITB Rabbit as we speak. Email me and I will get you in touch with them. [email protected]

BTW I plan on running at the driver's school in StL next spring. Hope to see you there!

Chris

[This message has been edited by shwah (edited October 29, 2003).]

ITA240
10-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Mumbles,
You might want to email me. I can save you a ton of money on that 240 build.

Jim
[email protected]

mumbles027
10-29-2003, 09:49 AM
i seem to have a problem with my email.i can't send any out so my email is [email protected] and saving tons of money is good.

tripleGO 2
10-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Hey, it's dave from Belleville building the ITB rabbit. I'd like to maybe get together and share some things I've learned by building a car from the ground up. Drop me and e-mail [email protected]

dave.......

Ceipher
10-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the tips. I had another question. I'm pretty much a gearhead and I'm not having many problems working on the car itself, but, I know *nothing about tires. Where do you get racing tires(preferably used ones..?) and how do you go about choosing a compound and tread type? Thanks

------------------

Racy-Stacey
10-30-2003, 06:11 PM
"Getting Started in racing"

I like this title, I should have done one like this myself a while back.

1. Determine why you want to go racing
2. How much are you going to sacrifice to go racing
3. You have a car but what are the rules for your class
4. How much time can you dedicate to this
5. Learn about your car
6. Read up on driving a race car
7. Get yourself a GCR and read it.
8. Learn about flags
7. buy the best safety equipment your budget can afford.
8. Use new tires. Then you'll have your old tires. Try not to compromise on things that pertain to keeping you on the road.
9. Listen to people with experience
10. Learn how to obtain sponsors
11. Practice * Practice * Practice
12. Make lots of friends in high places
13. Always acknolwedge the workers for their hard work
14. take the time to help others
15. (more.. so much more)

Toodles,
Stacey

------------------
Toodles,
Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB 1990PGL (http://www.scpoc.com/Car%20Profiles/stacey.htm) SCCA STSL "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club T&S, BWRP,WS,Lag,Hallett www.scpoc.com (http://www.SCPOC.com) : www.probetalk.com (http://www.probetalk.com) Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT.

Ceipher
10-30-2003, 06:26 PM
How *do you go about getting sponsors?

------------------

mumbles027
11-01-2003, 01:25 PM
you ask people to give you money.

Eagle7
11-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by mumbles027:
you ask people to give you money.
Very few of them will. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

lateapex911
11-01-2003, 06:30 PM
And if they do, what can you give them in return?

The best way to approach sponsorship is to ask yourself, "What can I offer a sponsor?? How will their investment in me help them make more money?"

If you can answer that with valid ideas, then you have a snowball's chance in h#ll of getting sponsors. Otherwise, work some overtime. It's much simpler.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited November 01, 2003).]