PDA

View Full Version : IT2 Contingency $ for the ARRC

Knestis
08-29-2003, 08:03 PM
The IT2 Initiative announces the IT2 Challenge Contingency Sponsorship for the 2003 ARRC Runoffs, to be held November 7-9 at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Georgia.

The IT2 Initiative is a grassroots movement to reclassify currently uncompetitive four cylinder front-wheel-drive cars out of SCCA's Improved Touring Sports class, one that is dominated by higher horsepower, rear-wheel-drive luxury sedans and GT sports cars. The IT2 Challenge furthers this movement by offering a minimum $650 cash purse to the top three placing IT2-eligible vehicles entered in the ITS class at the ARRC Runoffs.

To be eligible for the contingency prizes, competitors must compete in the Runoffs in the ITS class while driving a vehicle eligible for IT2, registered with the IT2 Initiative program, and running with the required IT2 sponsorship decals. Competitors must prepare their vehicles to meet current SCCA ITS regulations.

The IT2 Initiative welcomes any and all eligible competitors to race with us during this event. Details and entry information will be available on the program's web site at http://www.it2.evaluand.com

For more information and updates, visit the forum at http://pub12.ezboard.com/bit2forthefutureofmotorsport

lateapex911
08-29-2003, 10:10 PM
Cool!

Where's the $ coming from??
(none of my biz, really,!)

Greg Amy, are you reading?? Want to tow together?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Greg Amy
08-29-2003, 10:44 PM
I'm there, dude. We're committed emotionally and financially to attending the ARRC Runoffs in November.

Let's roll!

Knestis
08-30-2003, 08:09 AM
I'm not really at liberty to release any sponsor information at this point. Suffice to say that there are some people who think IT2 is a good idea and are willing to support it.

K

oanglade
09-02-2003, 09:08 AM
Kirk,

How can I contact you?

Could you email me at [email protected]?

Thanks.

------------------
Ony

downingracing
09-03-2003, 08:58 AM
If I keep the car in one piece this weekend, I'd like to come down and play!

How many IT2 cars are running this season?

------------------
Matt Downing
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

fiestadude
09-03-2003, 09:05 AM
What is the ARRC? I know what the acronym stands for, but is this sort of same thing for IT as the national guys and the Runoff's?

I plan to attend the bonus race at Memphis this year, but do not really know that much about the ARRC.

It seems like some sort of season ending Champoinship.

Any info you can give would be great.

Not sure If I can attend, Atlanta is a looooonnnnnnggggg tow for me.

Thanks,

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

bobpink
09-03-2003, 09:18 AM
The American Road Race of Champions at Road Atlanta on Nov. 7-9.

It is a championship event for regional-only classes.

www.arrc-online.com (http://www.arrc-online.com)

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Motorsports
ITS Honda Prelude

fiestadude
09-03-2003, 09:35 AM
bobpink:

thanks for the link. They do not have too much info on the site yet, most links say "available soon".

So basically if I go to Memphis, and actually pull off a win, I can get the MidAm Title (Midwest Division stuff), and if I go to the ARRC, pull off a victory, then it is like sort of getting the "national" champoinship title, but for the Regional only classes?

Makes sense to me.

So, no points come into play here, at least for who can come and race at the event, and it is like a winner takes all, by class.

Correct?

Sounds cool to me. I will have to see if the wife is still up for more racing events. It has been a long season, and we are already going to Memphis Nov 1 & 2.

Looks like I better knock out the "honey-do-list" in Sept./Oct. if I want to play.

Thanks for the info.

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

bobpink
09-03-2003, 11:44 AM
I haven't received the new info to post to the website yet. Expect about 4-6 weeks or so, but most of the info won't be substantially different from previous years.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Motorsports
ITS Honda Prelude

Knestis
09-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Thank you VERY much, Bob, for the link to the IT2 site. We have already seen referrals from it and the logo looks great on the ARRC site...

Kirk

Knestis
09-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Thanks to another donation from an individual IT2 supporter, the IT2 driver who improves his or her position the most over the duration of the ARRC ITS race will earn a "Hard Charger" cash bonus.

Targeted sponsorships of this type are greatly appreciated and supporters of the 2003 ARRC IT2 Challenge will be recognized on the IT2 web site.

Kirk

EDIT - Also, the sponsor who put up the funds to remove the commercial banners and pop-ups from the IT2 forums has asked that those pages promote the Human Society of the United States, rather than naming him or his company.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited September 03, 2003).]

gsbaker
09-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
...Targeted sponsorships of this type are greatly appreciated and supporters of the 2003 ARRC IT2 Challenge will be recognized on the IT2 web site....

Kirk

Kirk,

Great idea. We'll throw something into the pot.

One free Isaac system to the IT2 driver with the best qualifying time.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

Knestis
09-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Outstanding, Gregg! I will spread the word. If you'll send me whatever text you want included, I'll put together a page profiling the Isaac and add links to your site.

K

gsbaker
09-04-2003, 09:53 AM
Outstanding, Gregg! I will spread the word. If you'll send me whatever text you want included, I'll put together a page profiling the Isaac and add links to your site.K

That would be great. Thanks.

Fell free to cut and paste any text from our site. If it is a bit verbose let us know--we can always trim it back for you.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

Knestis
09-04-2003, 08:35 PM
To put Gregg's generosity in perspective, Isaac's contribution brings the total cash and product awards for the IT2 Challenge to $1570.

I REALLY wish I could be there. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

K

lateapex911
09-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Gregg rocks...what a guy!

now, how 'bout a little typo...say from IT2, to um....IT 7??? So close!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

gsbaker
09-06-2003, 03:44 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...uncompetitive four cylinder front-wheel-drive cars...</font>

Hey Jake. Can't you borrow one of those cars from the dark side? Or are they not "uncompetitive?"

http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

Bill Miller
09-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Kirk,

My hat's off to you for pushing this forward and extending the effort! Way to go!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Knestis
09-07-2003, 08:42 AM
I need to go on record that I have had VERY little to do with the success of this project - beyond posting the good news on the web, that is. This good work is purely the result of effort on the part of a number of drivers and others interested in futhering the future of IT2.

K

JDEllis
09-08-2003, 12:15 AM
EDIT - Also, the sponsor who put up the funds to remove the commercial banners and pop-ups from the IT2 forums has asked that those pages promote the Human Society of the United States, rather than naming him or his company.

Is that related to George Costanza's Human Fund? ;-)

-jde

------------------
J.D. Ellis
OVR #71 ITS Olds Calais
[email protected]

Knestis
09-08-2003, 06:54 AM
Oops. This society is more Humane than Human. I obviously need to apologize to our supporters.

K

Knestis
09-08-2003, 07:42 AM
RaceShopper.com has become the most recent addition to the IT2 Challenge contingency awards line-up, graciously offering the top three IT2 finishers in the ARRC ITS race certificates redeemable for Hawk, Performance Friction, or Ferodo racing brake pads. The first-place finisher will earn a $100.00 product certificate, while second and third will win $75 and $50 certificates, respectively. To qualify for this award, entrants must meet the general IT2 Challenge eligibility requirements at the bottom of this page and in addition, must display RaceShopper.com decals on both sides of their car.

For more information on brake pads, calipers, rotors, lines, fluid and other brake system parts for your racing car, contact Edwin Robinson at 1-800-733-8380 or visit the web site at www.RaceShopper.com (http://www.RaceShopper.com).

This brings the total cash and product contigency package to $1795 in value - Kirk

lateapex911
09-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Thanks Kirk! That human society thing had me laughing for quite awhile! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Knestis
09-08-2003, 07:20 PM
Yeah - good thing that the person who paid to upgrade the IT2 forums has a sense of humor!

K

Greg Amy
09-20-2003, 10:47 PM
So, who's stepping up to the plate on this? Between the IT2 contingency and Dodge's money for Neons someone is going to be able to cover all the weekend's expenses, and probably go home with a hefty wad of coin (not to mention a brand new Isaac Device tucked away in the gear bag...thanks, Gregg!!!)

I'm there. Who else?

gsbaker
09-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by grega:
...not to mention a brand new Isaac Device tucked away in the gear bag...thanks, Gregg!!!

I'm there. Who else?

Greg,

Anytime.

Yeah, race fans. How about some more contributions!

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

Knestis
09-21-2003, 06:51 PM
How about some more entries? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif As the Washingon Lottery ads used to say, "Some lucky dog's gotta win."

K

gsbaker
09-22-2003, 04:45 PM
How about some more entries? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif As the Washingon Lottery ads used to say, "Some lucky dog's gotta win."

K

Kirk,

I'm surprised you are light on entries with all the goodies you have put together.

Yeah racers, let's sign up! I'm there!!

Oops. I guess my daily driver (RWD 3,800# wagon w/195hp) won't meet IT2 spec.

Rats!

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

downingracing
09-23-2003, 09:09 AM
I've got to scrape some $$ together to get there, but if all goes well, I'm there! (Unless my car gets re-classed to ITA this month.)

I've got some repairs to do from the last race, but nothing major - I hope!

------------------
Matt Downing
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

Knestis
10-06-2003, 09:45 PM
IMPORTANT - Please be aware that the 2003 IT2 Challenge is in no way officially associated with the American Road Race of Champions™ (the ARRC™). IT2 is not a recognized racing class at this event, the IT2 Initiative is not among the official event sponsors, and the IT2 concept is not endorsed by ARRC™ or Atlanta Region SCCA® officials, the region, or the Sports Car Club of America®.

It has been suggested that members of the racing public may have been led to believe otherwise by information posted at the IT2 site or on the various club racing bulletin board forums. If this is the case, organizers of the IT2 Initiative and the IT2 Challenge apologize and assure all interested parties that it was not our intent to mislead anyone.

It has also been suggested that the IT2 Initiative should be prohibited from distributing the contingency awards that have been generously donated by supporters of the IT2 Initiative and the IT2 Challenge. It is important for all interested parties to understand that IT2 organizers do not accept the imposition of any action attempting to restrain legal trade - in this case, the disbursement of promotional awards based on on-track performance - by any individual or group, absent state or federal statute providing for such. We fully intend to disburse any and all awards as planned.

However, we would like to publicly offer the companies and individuals who have committed to award money and products the opportunity to withdraw their support, recognizing the potential ill will that might be associated with with any misunderstanding arising from recent communications by IT2 organizers. While it was not our actions that acted as catalyst in the escalation of this situation from misunderstanding to conflict, we fully recognize and accept our responsibility to provide promotional value and good will appropriate to the high level of support demonstrated by our corporate and personal sponsors.

Finally, although the timing is unfortunate, the IT2 Initiative is very pleased to introduce Lockwood Raceworks (http://www.lockracewrks.com/index.html) as the title sponsor for the 2003 IT2 Challenge. Improved Touring and Legend car preparation experts since 1991 and entrants of the Precis Vodka Formula Mazda (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/3/prweb60885.php) driven by Grant Lockwood, Lockwood Raceworks offers professional car preparation, used racing car sales, and a growing online catalogue of racing parts and supplies. Additional information about Lockwood Raceworks and their participation in the 2003 IT2 Challenge will be made available shortly.

American Road Race of Champions™ and ARRC™ are trademarks of the Atlanta Region SCCA® and event organizers. Any uses of these marks here or in any other communication by IT2 principals are for identification purposes only and must not be construed as suggesting any formal affiliation between the trademark owners and the IT2 Initiative Lockwood Raceworks IT2 Challenge. IT2 is not an official sponsor of this event.

Edwin Robinson
10-09-2003, 11:31 AM
IMPORTANT - Please be aware that the 2003 IT2 Challenge is in no way officially associated with the American Road Race of Champions™ (the ARRC™). IT2 is not a recognized racing class at this event, the IT2 Initiative is not among the official event sponsors, and the IT2 concept is not endorsed by ARRC™ or Atlanta Region SCCA® officials, the region, or the Sports Car Club of America®.

It has been suggested that members of the racing public may have been led to believe otherwise by information posted at the IT2 site or on the various club racing bulletin board forums. If this is the case, organizers of the IT2 Initiative and the IT2 Challenge apologize and assure all interested parties that it was not our intent to mislead anyone.

It has also been suggested that the IT2 Initiative should be prohibited from distributing the contingency awards that have been generously donated by supporters of the IT2 Initiative and the IT2 Challenge. It is important for all interested parties to understand that IT2 organizers do not accept the imposition of any action attempting to restrain legal trade - in this case, the disbursement of promotional awards based on on-track performance - by any individual or group, absent state or federal statute providing for such. We fully intend to disburse any and all awards as planned.

However, we would like to publicly offer the companies and individuals who have committed to award money and products the opportunity to withdraw their support, recognizing the potential ill will that might be associated with with any misunderstanding arising from recent communications by IT2 organizers. While it was not our actions that acted as catalyst in the escalation of this situation from misunderstanding to conflict, we fully recognize and accept our responsibility to provide promotional value and good will appropriate to the high level of support demonstrated by our corporate and personal sponsors.

Finally, although the timing is unfortunate, the IT2 Initiative is very pleased to introduce Lockwood Raceworks (http://www.lockracewrks.com/index.html) as the title sponsor for the 2003 IT2 Challenge. Improved Touring and Legend car preparation experts since 1991 and entrants of the Precis Vodka Formula Mazda (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/3/prweb60885.php) driven by Grant Lockwood, Lockwood Raceworks offers professional car preparation, used racing car sales, and a growing online catalogue of racing parts and supplies. Additional information about Lockwood Raceworks and their participation in the 2003 IT2 Challenge will be made available shortly.

American Road Race of Champions™ and ARRC™ are trademarks of the Atlanta Region SCCA® and event organizers. Any uses of these marks here or in any other communication by IT2 principals are for identification purposes only and must not be construed as suggesting any formal affiliation between the trademark owners and the IT2 Initiative Lockwood Raceworks IT2 Challenge. IT2 is not an official sponsor of this event.

We're still committed to providing our contingency support for those cars in SOME CERTAIN CLASS, at that race SOMPLACE DOWN SOUTH, SOMETIME in November. :^)

~Edwin Robinson.

gsbaker
10-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Edwin Robinson:

We're still committed to providing our contingency support for those cars in SOME CERTAIN CLASS, at that race SOMPLACE DOWN SOUTH, SOMETIME in November. :^)

~Edwin Robinson.

Ditto.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

Knestis
10-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Technically, that's "SOME CERTAIN group of cars that are pointedly NOT a class, at that race SOMPLACE DOWN SOUTH, SOMETIME in November"

Part of the conflict may be rooted in the mistaken assumption that we are trying to sneak in an outlaw class, having been told that it wouldn't be recognized.

Regardless, you guys are awesome. I'm going to be updating the IT2 website in the next couple of days to bolster everyone's presence just that little bit more...

Kirk

Bill Miller
10-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Wow Kirk, I guess some people are feeling somewhat threatened by the IT2 Initiative. I'd really love to know on what grounds these people wanted to prevent you from distributing contingency awards.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

oanglade
10-09-2003, 06:23 PM
What's a club without member driven initiatives?

http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

lateapex911
10-09-2003, 06:26 PM
It's all about money, as usual.........

kudos to the folks that are sticking by it!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

planet6racing
10-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Hey Kirk:

Since you are so good at getting all this sponsorship, do you think you can get Kleenex to sponsor the SM race? With all the crying going on, I'm sure it would be appropriate! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Edwin Robinson
10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
Wow Kirk, I guess some people are feeling somewhat threatened by the IT2 Initiative. I'd really love to know on what grounds these people wanted to prevent you from distributing contingency awards.

Obviously, someone else wanted the contingency awards to be handled by their department- :^(

The way we see it- we'd rather have the $$$ being given go directly back to the racers.

All in all- I think the region should be thankful- since it's obviously driving more interest and entries to the race - but, then again, some of the SCCA folks don't always see things the way we do... ;^)

~ER.

Knestis
10-10-2003, 08:16 PM
For what it might be worth - at least for us - it wasn't ever really about the money. We didn't have a conversation that started with, "Do we want to pony up $150?" I wasn't even on our radar screen until very late in the discussion because we were't thinking in terms of "event sponsor" - it was about supporting individual racers.

As far as the motivations of the organizers, the value that they offer official sponsors is CHEAP at $150 - promo announcements, inclusion in local TV spots, ad space in the program, and other stuff. A hell of a value that, were this 5 months ago and we were bringing Lockwood on board, we would have supported. The revenues generated by the official sponsor agreements pale in comparison to the cost of running the event so I really don't believe that it is just about the money for the ARRC folks either.

To his credit, Bob MacIsaac (Atlanta RE and ARRC chair) called me this evening and we had what I thought was a very helpful conversation. It seems that there was the perception that we were mounting a "guerilla marketing" campaign, in an attempt to reap the benefits of official event sponsorship without going through the proper channels. Bob recognizes that we see things differently, even as I admitted that some of the things we are doing "look like" event sponsor kinds of activities. In practice, it becomes a semantic argument and both Bob and I recognize the validity of the others' interpretations.

I believe that we are close to resolving the situation, with the understanding that what we are organizing is more like a hospitality activity with door prizes, as a perk for the drivers of back-of-the-pack ITS cars. Bob asked what we hoped to do and I explained that we wanted to give a group of like-minded racers the chance to get together under the Lockwood Raceworks awning, have a beverage, maybe complain about the rules a little, and give out some goodies to recognize the effort of some true underdogs.

No banners around the track, no expectation of promos on the PA, no spot in the program. No suggestion that IT2 is a real class or that Atlanta Region, the ARRC, or the club endorse the class that isn't a class. No high profile awards ceremony.

Kirk

oanglade
10-10-2003, 10:05 PM
I'm glad that see this communication and understanding going on. I really can't wait for the ARRC!

gsbaker
10-11-2003, 07:49 AM
Kirk,

When this first came up, we gave it our usual 0.5 seconds of consideration, looked at the promo budget and said, "Sure."

If it makes anyone feel better, we would be willing to provide another Isaac system to a non-IT2 competitor. Of course, that gets into questions of what class, what is the award for, etc.

Just thought we'd offer, if it will smooth over any hard feelings.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

Knestis
10-13-2003, 10:01 PM
http://it2.evaluand.com/images/raceworks.gif

09 October - The IT2 Initiative is very pleased to announce Lockwood Raceworks (SL Racing, Inc.) as the title sponsor for the 2003 IT2 Challenge. Improved Touring and Legend car specialist Lockwood Raceworks is a family-owned and operated business in Gainesville, Georgia that offers customer car preparation, used racing car sales, and a growing online catalogue of racing parts and supplies. Though specializing in performance Hondas and Volkswagens, Raceworks offers performance parts for all import and domestic cars, as well as styling mods, graphics, and pit and safety equipment.

Raceworks owners Sam and Grant Lockwood are avid racers themselves, having raced SCCA Improved Touring cars since 1995 and spent four seasons in the Speedvision Touring Car series. They are currently campaigning the Precis Vodka Formula Mazda, driven by Grant in SCCA Formula Mazda Pro and Club, as well as in NASA’s East Coast Honda Challenge.

Lockwood Raceworks' web site is available at www.lockracewrks.com (http://www.lockracewrks.com).

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited October 14, 2003).]

Knestis
10-29-2003, 08:01 PM
29 October - Appalachian Tire has agreed to become the most recent addition to the list of supporters of the Lockwood Raceworks IT2 Challenge, by providing one free tire to the highest finishing IT2-spec car in the ITS sprint race. This addition brings the total value of IT2 support to more than $2000! If more than ten IT2 cars are entered for the event, the award doubles to credit for two tires, redeemable only through Appalachian Tire.

To be eligible, a driver must run on Hoosier tires for the duration of the ARRC™ and display Hoosier stickers on the car. Please note that this support is being offered by Appalachian Tire of Louisville, TN rather than by ARRC™ official contingency sponsor Hoosier Racing Tire Corporation. A unique feature of this offer is the "instant gratification" deal, under which the award may be applied to reduce a racer's trackside tire support credit card bill at the event.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited October 29, 2003).]