PDA

View Full Version : Silly Newbie Questions

DSims
10-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Looking to get involved in IT from autocross and I have some real basic questions:

1). How Long is a typical race?
2). Do you need a pit crew?
3). How often in a typical race do you pit?

If you've answered this a million times and can point me to a different thread, that would be great.

Looking forward to getting involved.

Dan

racer_tim
10-23-2003, 01:09 PM
1. Regional races are normally between 25-30 minutes.

2. If you have somebody, great. I don't. I do all the work, driving, towing, fixing, etc on my car. It does get a bit old after a while, but ......

3. If you pit during a race, you most likely won't win. So your answer is Zero.

3a. That's only for "sprint" races. Enduro's are a different beast but are usually only speciality events, not everyday SCCA races.

Dan, what part of the county are you in? There a lots of folks on this board that will help "mentor" you.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Banzai240
10-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by DSims:
1). How Long is a typical race?

25-35 minutes depending on the weekends schedule and how many other groups your Region has scheduled (i.e.: Vintage, PCA, etc...)

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">2). Do you need a pit crew?</font>

No, unless you have mechanical problems, you won't be pitting during a race. It is nice to have someone there to take tire-temps, etc. during practice...

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">3). How often in a typical race do you pit?</font>

See #2

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Looking forward to getting involved.</font>

Dan,
We're looking forward to having you involved!! What kind of car? What Region? If you want to get involved before the car is ready, find your local track and run out there to have a look. I'm sure you would have NO problem finding someone who could use some help and would be willing to show you the ropes...

Good LUCK!!

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Auburn, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/240_OR_041203_thumb.jpg

DSims
10-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I was getting worried because I to do everything myself. I was worried that my racing career was over before it began.

I live in Florida, between Sebring and Daytona, so lots of opportunity. I don't know what type of car, but, having grown-up in Detroit, I feel compelled to "Buy American". Might not be as competitive as other makes, but I'll sleep better at night. Really just in it for the fun.

Again, thanks!

Dan

cherokee
10-23-2003, 03:07 PM
There are some good ole' american iron that can run well. Around here we have a pretty fast Dodge Colt and Ford Pinto in ITB, and some real fast Ford Festiva's in ITC.

ITA240
10-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Dan,
There are alot of us in your area who build/drive/repair their own race car. Lets get you out to some races. Next local Club event is Thanksgiving weekend at Sebring. I'm sure there are at least 20 people on here who would sign you in (myself included).

Jim
[email protected]

DSims
10-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Wow!! I really feel welcome. Thanks for the offer ITA240 and I will certainly take you up on your offer on Thanksgiving weekend.

ITTdriver
10-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Dan
The Atlanta Region is hosting the American Road Race of Champions Nov 7-9. There will be 300+ entries so you'd have lots of different vehicles to check out. We even run mini pickups and yes, one is a Ford Ranger. If you'd like to join us I'd be happy to check you in as crew. Let me know if you can join us.

------------------
Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games.
Hemingway.

lateapex911
10-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the madness!

I second the comment on attending the ARRCs. There you will see all of the Regional only classes like IT, and some of ITs best drivers and cars. I hear it's quite the event.

Should be a fun time for you, if only for the great racing!

I'm planning on being there, stop by and say hi. Car number below. (A blue with green graphics RX-7)

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited October 25, 2003).]

JIgou
10-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:

I'm planning on being there, stop by and say hi. Car number below. (A blue with green graphics RX-7)

Ditto, except for the car. Mine: blue, white top Spec Miata, #59 (as far as I know...).

Jarrod