PDA

View Full Version : How to sell a racing car?

Fleetcare
09-16-2003, 09:17 PM
I have been trying although not hard to sell my car. Now push has come to shove and it needs to go rather soon..

What works and what doesnt ? And anyone got any advice ?

Thanks
~Jonathan

Speed Raycer
09-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Having just bought one (off of an ad on this site), I'd say buying a midpack IT car (or project car) is mostly based on value of the parts vs. price. The car I bought had been for sale for a while, but the seller was getting a little more despirate and lowered his price. He had a very detailed list of what was in the car. I stopped adding up the parts $$$ when I doubled the price of the car. I couldn't build a car for the price of the car for and the car I built wouldn't have had all the trick parts that I got in the deal. Also, I traveled almost 1,000 miles to pick the car up, so advertise anywhere and everywhere.

I'd say that unless its a front runner, don't expect to get out of it what you've got in it.

Also, I'd suggest Ebay. Everyone and their brother uses it, but not everyone knows how to search the web for race prepped cars. Ebay has built in buyers.

------------------
Scott
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it

<A HREF="http://www.pfmracing.com" TARGET=_blank> http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/PFMSigPic.jpg
www.pfmracing.com </A>

Knestis
09-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Having been shopping for a car for months now, I can tell you that there really aren't very many good outlets on the web, specializing in racing cars. The ones that do have so little new-ad turnover that it isn't worth looking there.

This forum is reasonable, as are your regional site/newsletter and those of neighboring regions. eBay is - oddly - also a sensible answer.

Now, if you were selling a Golf III GTI or Sport, or a '96 or newer Civic, you could just email me...

K

moto62
09-16-2003, 11:39 PM
If you haven't already, post it in the classified section of this website for free. Worked for me. BTY, What kind of car is it?
Ray

Bill Miller
09-17-2003, 06:09 AM
Post it on as many of the Regional SCCA sites as you can (w/in reason, if you live in NJ, don't post on the San Francisco site, unless it is a killer car). I would also post it on the message boards for the marque of vehicle that it is. I sold my old ITB Rabbit GTI on a VW site, not a racing site.

Get it listed in SportsCar.

This is probably the most important. Unless it's a very unique or killer car, be reasonable about the price. I sold my GTI for 1/4 - 1/3 of what it would have cost to build it.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Quickshoe
09-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Jonathan,

Try taking it to an HPDE-type event. Maybe someone out there is willing to take the next step. You probably won't reach these same people through SportsCar or region websites.

Logic...you enter the event and will probably be faster than 90% of the cars that are 5+ times more expensive. Many of these people (at least out here) have lots of disposable income. One of them might just have a husband/wife that doesn't like the idea of them risking a crash their $50k+ street car without a cage.

I sold my Mr2 to a guy at a school who just witnessed me passing a Z06 vette! That was an easy sell, he didn't even know where the engine was!

Just another avenue to consider. You might take it out to a kart track. Maybe one of the karters out there wants to race on the big tracks, just didn't realize how cheap it was.

Prince Makaha
09-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Just showing up with it sporting a for sale sign in the paddock would probably sell it plus you get to watch an event.

Greg Amy
09-18-2003, 08:45 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I have been trying...to sell my car....What works and what doesnt?</font>

Take some time to carefully review your build records, adding up all expenses that went into the car. If this includes any labor or sublet expenses, subtract those from the total. Then do the following analysis:

Is the car the "correct" car for the class? Is the car currently a winner? Do you have documents wins versus strong competition? If you can answer these two questions affirmatively, subtract 50% from the total. If you cannot, subtract 75% from the total.

List it as this price and you'll probably have a sale. List it more than this and it becomes a garage queen...

Fleetcare
10-13-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by grega:
Take some time to carefully review your build records, adding up all expenses that went into the car. If this includes any labor or sublet expenses, subtract those from the total. Then do the following analysis:

Is the car the "correct" car for the class? Is the car currently a winner? Do you have documents wins versus strong competition? If you can answer these two questions affirmatively, subtract 50% from the total. If you cannot, subtract 75% from the total.

List it as this price and you'll probably have a sale. List it more than this and it becomes a garage queen...

Build reciepts total $10,450 so I think it should move..
Tried ebay bc im almost out of time!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2437419110 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6255&item=2437419110)