PDA

View Full Version : Working Races

CaptainWho
09-04-2003, 09:45 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many of the drivers around here work races? F&C, T&S, grid, scrutineering, whatever. My brother & I worked F&C Labor Day weekend at the Road Atlanta SARRC/ECR/Pro-IT event and both had a great time and learned a lot.

------------------
CaptainWho
http://www.NutDriver.org

downingracing
09-04-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm the Co-Race Chair for our Double Regional this weekend @ Mid-Ohio. This is my 2nd year Co-Chairing the Regional and this was my 1st year Co-Chairing our National. It's amazing how much work it takes to put a race weekend together!

------------------
Matt Downing
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

whenry
09-04-2003, 10:53 AM
I was in Atlanta putting in my time as Asst Steward. Got some seat time as Operating Steward and Pit/Black Flag Steward.
As drivers I do believe that we should "pay back" the system that allows us to go have fun. Plus you do see things from a different perspective.

Greg Amy
09-04-2003, 11:22 AM
I used to hold a National F&C and T&S license, way way back in the old days. Still have my "Texas Turn Marshalls and Racer Chasers" patches on my white F&C overalls. Made for the greatest seats in the house for the pro events (San Antonio GP, Dallas GP, etc) and directly resulted in my drive in a GTP car (a fun story to tell over beers...) T&S was the only air-conditioned place around on hot Texas days and you got to hear some of the best track gossip.

I don't do it now because I've become too busy being a prima donna race car driver, but I remember the fun times and the comraderie.

Greg

sgallimo
09-04-2003, 12:07 PM
I've never driven or crewed at an event in which I didn't work something during the weekend. I have licenses in Start, F&C, and Pit & Paddock. If the schedule is such that you don't have enough time to work a speciality around your driving and/or crewing duties, then show up early and help with Registration or with parking rigs in the paddock. Or help the F&C folks collect the flags, fire bottles, radios, etc at the end of the day. Or help serve the food and beverage during the socials, or help push cars on and off the scales at tech, or help T&S deliver grid sheets to start and the false grid. Or if you have a national competition license, volunteer to drive the pace car during the lunch time drive arounds. Or volunteer to be the trophy girl/gal. Or something. It's so easy to help out that it's almost criminal to not do so. Besides, working an event is like being able to go behind the walls at the airport and learn how the baggage is handled or how the traffic controllers work.

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

Knestis
09-04-2003, 01:53 PM
I worked for years with SCCA and another sanctioning body and am proud of the fact that I have at least tasted every specialty - even if I was never really great in any capacity.

I started with the F&C, worked tech (ask me about the Canadian fire extinguisher and the leaky FV some day), drove pace car and flat-tow recovery truck, moved outhouses and rebuilt tire walls, cut brush, worked T&S (before transponders), played pregrid and pit-out traffic cop, and delivered lunches to corners. My favorite was being "starter in training" and hanging over the track in the S/F tower - I got to flag a VW Cup race and be up there for the start of a Winston West race. Damn.

K

pgipson
09-04-2003, 11:50 PM
I generally work our national events, and if I am not racing for some reason I will work regionals. Don't have a specialty, just a gofer. Last January I worked the infamous "outside grid" at our PIR double nationals.

ITS240z18
09-08-2003, 12:26 AM
I do worker transport (my primary crew), plus Equipment, and dabble in the newly created Ambassador corps. When NASCAR was in town this year, I wandered back and forth between worker trans and equipment, literally chaning my shirt in between.

I aim to learn every specialty - so if ever a race is in jeopardy for lack of workers, I'll be able to fill in - well - wherever I'm most needed.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that it's good to give back - also helps me see that whomever might be "hassling" me (or inconveniencing me or whatever) is doing their job the best they can within their understanding of how it should be done, just like we do when we're wearing the "worker" shirt. And it doesn't hurt, if you DO get into trouble, to have the troops know you as somebody other than that jerk in the number X car. :-)

lateapex911
09-08-2003, 12:41 AM
I'm on board with the "give back" concept as well. I've flagged, worked tech and timing, and this summer also helped instruct a couple times and co-chaired a National. My co-chair had lots of experience and was able to guide me, but had a rough night with the liquor,(it was near her birthday) so the second day was a bit busier. But I was glad as it kept me on my toes, and I was there to work anyway.

While I knew going in that events like these are a lot of work, I was enlightened as to the process. Interestingly, most of the specialties have done it before, and it just kind of happens automatically. I wish there was more time in the day so I could do more.

I really feel that in life, we should walk a mile in the other guys shoes before judging. ITS240Z18 makes a great point. I am much less likely to get upset at someone who I know to have integrity, and I think the same holds for most people. So, if I, as a driver, have an incident that might be questionable, it's nice to have the person judging you have some knowledge of you and your character.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited September 08, 2003).]

Dave Burchfield
09-08-2003, 06:34 AM
I have been working for near as long as I have been a member, and currently hold a National Race Control License. I worked the pit lane and black flag station for some time and have recently been mostly involved with the Coursr Marshalls. I'm the person you DON"T want to see when at a race. I have worked all the Pro events as well as the National events at Mid-Ohio over the past 5 years. If you go to the Runoffs, you may see me riding shotgun on a wrcker.

It is a real learning experience working with the Pro organizations. Some are pretty decent people, and others are the most arrogant, nasty people on the face of the Earth.

db

RacerBill
09-08-2003, 10:00 AM
All those great workers out there, and not a one mentioned Sound Control! I started out in T&S because I was too young to work corners. Finally got my New York Region's Flag Mob license in '68 (I think). Got involved in a little spat in the Far East and started a family, so attendance was spotty until '84, when I got my starters license. Sound Control came around in '86, and being a kind of technical guy, I jumped in. I have been sound control chief at IRP and Mid-Ohio events since then. Time to take a break. I am going racing next year, come hell or high water! Got an ITA car that I plan to spend the winter with. But you will probably still see me at Mid-Ohio at Nationals and Pro weekends, working somewhere.

racer_tim
09-08-2003, 12:59 PM
I work F&C most events, and race when I can. Like Tracey, I also do worker trans (Race Official Transportation) when I'm racing.

I know other flaggers that flag a session or 2 between their on-track activities. We also have the Drivers Observer program which takes active drivers and helps out with another set of eyes on the turns.

I started out flagging in 1977. Only started racing in 1993.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

chuck baader
09-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Every race I attend, I volunteer to work registration. That way I can train workers for our new track. Have also worked corners, and I think all drivers should. You get to learn from others about lines, braking points, etc. and improve your driving.

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36 E30 BMW
Alabama Region Assistant Race Chair, Divisional Registrar

Quickshoe
09-08-2003, 06:55 PM
I've worked corners (at schools and in karting days), pre-grid, grid, drove pace car, currently a director emeritus and have instructed for another club. I volunteer crew for a rally team and driver coach/mentor another racer (who holds a club track record and won year end championship in 2001). Perhaps she should be coaching me?

Anyway, I'm very thankful for those workers out there. I don't know why you do it...but I'm glad you do!!

--Daryl DeArman

therooster
09-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Although I have not yet worked a SCCA event..
I was the Event OpS for COM Time Trials for about 5 years, worked corners 2 or 3 years before that, worked at Skip Barber, worked EMRA at the Bridge, etc...
I think that any driver should be required to work at least one race before driving. What you see at a corner is sometimes more important than what you see driving. Work a lot of corners and you see a lot more or what happens on the track.

(edit spelling)

[This message has been edited by therooster (edited September 08, 2003).]

Wreckerboy
09-09-2003, 03:15 PM
As both a worker and a driver it is great to see all of these responses for others who do both. It's nice to know that there are more of us than I suspected.

The experience on both sides of the Armco has paid off in a lot of ways. For some reason, the example that comes to mind is that it is easier when working grid to accept that a driver who has just been brought in is going to be slightly pumped up and not . Conversely, it makes it easier when I am that driver to deal with the person who wants to have, as they taught me to say in the south, "a moment of prayer with me."

As others have stated, the best seats in the house are on the corners, and the cheapest way to learn to drive is there to. I learned/worked the Valley Of Lefts at Bridgehampton for a long time until I got it right, and not too long ago finally got some clues about VIR the same way.

sandman
09-09-2003, 07:08 PM
After an unfortunate case of engine failure, I find myself biding the time while a replacement is being completed. Finding it very difficult to stay away from the track, even sans chariot, I decided an F/C license would afford me some valuable insight on my competitors. Which proved to be correct. From my vantage point at the side of the track I could clearly see the lines my friends up front were taking, where they were braking, hear when they got back on the gas... For a nubian, it was very worthwhile.

Over the course of the day's races I also observed some pretty poor driving habits- drivers who never check their mirrors, drivers who never hold a line, drivers who become the "rolling chicane." Worse are the instances when flags are not seen, or the infamous Red Mist intervenes and cars become rams instead of steeds. I witnessed multiple metal to metal collisions spawned of frustration. Understandable, but inappropriate. Keep your cool and drive faster.

Aside from lessons taken from the asphalt, I learned that the folks who work F/C are great. Not only do they take their duties seriously, they know the quirks of the track, the temperments of most of the drivers, and how well they drive. I was welcomed gratiously when I offered to help, and found the whole crew to be friendly. Good folks. They also tell some crazy stories...

While I would much rather be spending the time honing my driving skills, working a race or two has improved my racing and given me a deeper appreciation of the folks who volunteer to support our fun.

ITANorm
09-09-2003, 10:55 PM
I started flagging in '76 and didn't start racing until '92. I'm an ex-Chief of F&C, and currently hold licenses in 4 worker specialties on top of a National Comp. and SIT. I've worked more days than I've raced every year except maybe '95.

------------------
Norm - #55 ITA, '86 MR2. [email protected]
http://www.alltel.net/~jberry/img107.jpg
Website: www.alltel.net/~jberry (http://www.alltel.net/~jberry)

rage_racing
10-01-2003, 10:13 PM
okay maybe a dumb question from a newb but seeing as I havent had the chance to work any races let alone race yet..
is there any kinda breaks on entry fees or anything like that ...
dont get me wrong i plan to volly as much as possible next season but it only seems right that if I am donating time to the track/club thats charging me $???.?? to race shouldnt there be a kickback ?

ITS240z18
10-02-2003, 12:17 AM
In my region, there's no discount. Workers are paid in sandwiches and driver waves. Drivers work to ensure that the races happen, to give back to the club that finds free workers so we don't have to pay huge entry fees that include worker wages, and to enjoy the camraderie and action of the volunteer crews. In San Francisco Region, we do get free test days at the region's track.

*Some* service providers give discounts to workers, especially for gear for drivers' school.

rage_racing
10-02-2003, 07:13 AM
so basically its a track by track option...
thats cool just wasnt sure how it worked

CaptainWho
10-03-2003, 12:07 AM
In SEDIV, or maybe it's just Atlanta Region, you get free entry to a Solo 2 for every two days of volunteering. I'm not sure which specialties qualify, but I think all of them.

------------------
CaptainWho

rage_racing
10-03-2003, 12:15 AM
thats a pretty sweet set up doing something like that..

pgipson
10-03-2003, 06:25 PM
At some tracks, the club will get discounted track fees when they provide workers for other events (I think Charlotte used to do this, I hear Barber does, also Cal. Speedway, others?). VIR seems to have a great relationship like that with NCR. So in those cases drivers do benefit from working events.

CaptainWho
10-06-2003, 09:17 PM
If they pay attention while in the station, drivers can learn a lot while working. Like watching how their competition takes corners where they're faster. :-)

------------------
CaptainWho

42pinto
10-06-2003, 11:12 PM
I'm a licensed F&C worker, and have worked several years now. I started when I decided to start back racing after a 10 year absence. I would recomend it to anyone who wants to see how the other guy drives.

Barry Streets
ITB Pinto