PDA

View Full Version : RWD to FWD

ulfelder
10-02-2003, 03:45 PM
I'm interested in the experiences of people who've raced a RWD car, then switched over to FWD. (For argument's sake, let's say the cars are roughly similar in capabilities - jumping from an ITA 240SX to an ITA Acura, for instance.)

What's it like making the leap? Is FWD any less fun or challenging? MORE fun or challenging? Etc. Gracias!

Steve U
FlatOut Motorsports
05 ITS

whenry
10-02-2003, 04:21 PM
I tried it and didnt like it so now I have switched back. I think that it is an individual thing based upon personal driving style. I have always raced on radials and rwd cars so I tend to be very smooth and precise in my driving. Fwd seems to need more force and strength throwing the car into the corner and the use of the throttle to pull the car off the corner. I got to a certain plateau and could never get any further.
Since I had been fast and relatively successful in rwd, I decided that it was in my best interests to go back to rwd. A Miata in ITA or SM allows me to do that.
As they say, YMMV

67ITB
10-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Steve,
say it aint so?
your not thinking of jumping ship are you?Well if you are, I will go on record and offer you 1 session in one of our cars at the first NHIS test day next year(assuming its OK with Eli hahaha...)
with the Scirocco it is a lot easier to keep the front....well... IN FRONT than that RX7

Good luck with your search

Matt

ulfelder
10-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the offer, Matt. I was going to ask Alan if I could try out his ride, but since he saw what I did to my quarter-panel last week at Lime Rock, I doubt he wants me to wash his windows, let alone drive his car!

What I may do is rent a Neon or something for a weekend just to check out FWD.

ITBGTI48124
10-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by ulfelder:
I'm interested in the experiences of people who've raced a RWD car, then switched over to FWD. (For argument's sake, let's say the cars are roughly similar in capabilities - jumping from an ITA 240SX to an ITA Acura, for instance.)

What's it like making the leap? Is FWD any less fun or challenging? MORE fun or challenging? Etc. Gracias!

Steve U
FlatOut Motorsports
05 ITS

I used to race big rear wheel drive cars at a local roundy-round track. Made the jump to road racing in a small FWD car and found out real quickly how different they were. Tried to feather the throttle coming through a corner and put the car into wall during my drivers school. The smaller FWD cars don't seem to like this. Toss the car into the corner, hammer the throttle and let the car pull you through the corner. It's taken me three years to finally get the hang of it. I would say it's just as fun as racing RWD cars, just different. FWD cars love the rain, too.