PDA

View Full Version : Unread Flags

Greg Amy
07-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Why is it that the "unread" flags last about a minute? I try to browse the board but I lsoe all the unread flags and it's particularly annoying.

Is there a cookie setting I could change to make this last longer?

Knestis
07-04-2003, 10:01 AM
The cookie on your machine just records the time/date of visits. The BB software is based on some assumptions for including the new message icon, comparing that cookie data with the time stamps on the messages. I would doubt that the user can change either the assumptions or the scripting logic applied based on them.

I have noticed the same thing and it bugs me too.

K

lateapex911
07-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Odd...doesn't happen to me. The flags last the entire duration I'm on the site, until I "refresh" the page.

Perhaps it's my technique...I always hit my browsers "back" button instead of any that are offered by the site I'm on.

I have AOL, but that shouldn't have much affect.

Bill Miller
07-04-2003, 11:38 PM
I've found that if I click on any of the links in a thread, or if I have another session open and switch between the two, that I lose the unread flags when I 'go back'.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold)
SCCA 279608

sgallimo
07-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
I've found that if I click on any of the links in a thread, or if I have another session open and switch between the two, that I lose the unread flags when I 'go back'.

ditto for me. just like life - you stray, you lose everything.

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

Knestis
07-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Ah - interesting. I didn't think about that variable. I tend to have more than one window open at any given point in time, wandering back and forth.

K

Greg Amy
07-07-2003, 10:05 PM
I don't, and it doesn't make a difference. I even use the "back" function virutally exclusively on this board - no difference...

ilateapex
07-08-2003, 08:32 PM
I have found that if I use the links at the top right of the page. The ones in tree form. I don't loose my unread flags. If I use my back button then they only last about one or two treands.

Michael

Banzai240
07-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Guys... the reason this is likely happening is because your Browser settings are set to "Check for newer versions of stored pages" on "every visit" (if you have IE)

Go to your "Tools", then "Internet Options", and then under the "Temporary Internet Files" sections, click "Settings". There should be several options. Mine is set to "Automatically", and I usually have to hit "Refresh" before the flags go away. Of course, I also have to hit refresh to see freshly posted pages if I've been on the site for awhile as well...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Auburn, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.attbi.com/~djjordan/Web/240_OR_041203_thumb.jpg