PDA

View Full Version : SCCA and Conference

Brianreed
08-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Something has been bugging me for a couple years now, I am sure some others it is longer. In the NW, we have the ICSCC, which boasts large grids and some good racing. Then we have the SCCA, that seem to have the same large grids and decent racing, except that they race in Bremerton, which is not a fun track. I have done a drving event there, I know. I know there are a few people that do both ICSCC, and SCCA, but there are still a large number that do not, why is that. Is there some old bad blood that I do not know about? I am telling you,r Pacific Raceways is a much better track and wonder why SCCA still uses Bremerton?

seattle7
08-05-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm a newbie to racing, but here's what I "know"...

At this time, both the SCCA and ICSCC use Pacific Raceways. It didn't used to be this way. Pacific Raceways, back when it was SIR, was deemed "unsafe" by the SCCA. Recently (last year?) upgrades have been made and PR has been allowed to hold SCCA events. They are getting decent SCCA grids at PR now. I don't know about conference. So, in other words, it used to be that you had to choose between the SCCA and PR (conference). That is no longer the case. PR has an SCCA event in 2 weeks.

FWIW I haven't run PR yet but I heard it's a blast and can't wait to get out there.

Mike

Joe Harlan
08-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Brian, first lets say welcome. Second I don't think its bad blood as much as it has been poor promotion over the years. ICSCC gets more new blood because they go after it with driving schools that allow street cars and less stringent application of certain rules. Now they are both great organizations and each have their own strong points. As far as SIR goes it was uncertified at one point and that was part of it. Putting on an event at Pacific take a lot of rent money which in turn requires a decent turnout or the club eats it. I think that NWR is trying hard to grow their racing program back to the level it was many years ago and in the end they will probably hold races at both tracks. The one thing I will say is that Bremerton does not suck as a race track. I ran there for the first time last week and I will return as soon as I can. While it is not a big place it is a lot of fun and requires a lot of technique to go fast on. I found it very difficult to squeeze the last half second out of my car until the final race day and I still feel like there is more to be had. I would encourage you to join NWR and ICSCC and decide for yourself in the end but SCCA racing has it's benefits and you may find what you are looking for there. Good luck and see ya at the track.