PDA

View Full Version : TH Dbl Regional

racer_tim
07-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Joe, what broke? James did well to hold off Jeff on Sunday.

Ron, good weekend.

Randy, you need to loose 1-2 decibels, eh?

Overall, a VERY hot weekend. We had 3 fires but only damage'd 1 car. Poor Frank Emmett, spun in Turn 2, and his exhaust caused a grass fire, which then caught his body work on the passenger's side to burn badly.

Lots of DQ's for wrong tire sizes, passes under yellow, underweight, and failing the attitude test @ Impound.

See everybody @ the Reg/Nat @ Laguna. I'll have the car there, but will be an "entrant" instead of a "participant"

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Joe Craven
07-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Tim, nothing broke, just ran out of gas. I put in what I though was just enough to keep the car weight down. Unfortunately, it was 2 turns too little gas. As you saw, I did cross the finish line while coasting and made it off the track so I avoided even more embarassment.

James and I got into a little fender bender in 9, I got up to his door and he claims he had the line so we touched when he turned into the corner. I slammed on the brakes but clipped his left rear as he went by. I have the whole incident on tape and went over to discuss the incident after the race but he was pretty heated about the whole thing, didn't even want to see my tape of the incident.

I decided to retire from SCCA Club racing so I packed it up and went home. I've been thinking about it for the last month and with the class car count shrinking, it just didn't seem as much fun. When there are 3 cars in the class and a general lack of comraderie, one has to ask himself "why?".

I'm going to keep 2 of my 3 cars, I'm thinking to take my ITA Capri out to SCCA Solo 1 in DSP and my GTI to NASA in the Cup Series from this point forward. I'm going to sell the ITB Capri cheap.

Joe Craven
soon to be down to 2 cars.

racer_tim
07-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your decision. I did notice a small dent in James's left rear fender.

I would have to agree, that the IT group in SFR isn't what it used to be. When I was running in IT full time in 1993-1994, ITS and ITB ran in Group 9. We had like 40+ cars in those 2 classes alone. We had many VW Rabbits and Scirocco's, Capri's, Alfa's, Pinto's, 2002's, Volvo's, etc. I think the highest place I ever got in those days was a 6th.

Good luck with the other group.

Stay in touch,

Tim

itaintegra31
07-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey Joe I'm also sorry to hear about you decision, Hope to see you at the Nasa race this next weekend.

I had a lot of fun, had to start from the back twice and work my way up, thats a blast. The car ran great all weekend long. I only missed one of my ten sessions, had a leaking brake caliper that I had to run to Red Bluff Sunday morning to get a kit to fix so I missed the ITA Q session. In my ITX race on Saturday my window net came loose on the warm up lap so I started from the hot pits after the green.

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#52 ITA integra

racerandy2001
07-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by racer_tim:

Randy, you need to loose 1-2 decibels, eh?

Overall, a VERY hot weekend. We had 3 fires but only damage'd 1 car. Poor Frank Emmett, spun in Turn 2, and his exhaust caused a grass fire, which then caught his body work on the passenger's side to burn badly.

Lots of DQ's for wrong tire sizes, passes under yellow, underweight, and failing the attitude test @ Impound.

Yeah that sound thing SHOCKED the hell out of me. I had my quiet mufflers on...87 db last race at Thunderhill...did they get me on more than one lap? I backfired there two times...I think it was that...STILL I short shifted the entire race to keep my 3rd place! Sorta ruined my big advantage in the straight! DOH!

Yeah I was the FIREBALL on Friday...Tim, did you seen flames under my car? People tell me they saw them shoot out 6 feet from underneith the car! The first lap my dad yelled on the radio "FIRE!" and I pulled right in...no fire...we checked for leaks..nothing...went out again....and in turn 14 he yells "BIIIIG FIRE..PULL IN NOW!" I am mad now but then I smelled the burning fiberglass and rubber and shut it down coasted to a stop and got out like a crazy person! :-) nothing again...only the paint is blistered off the back of the car and the whole back end is BLACK! :-O

Turns out we overfilled the tank...first time I used gas cans and a funnel to fill it..and the breather from the stock tank was 4 inches behind my exhaust turndowns...YIKES! We moved that! ;-)

Yeah...I saw Frank's car in impound..that just plain SUCKED! A beautiful car...toast...bummer...

A good weekend though...finished each race...tripled my season points!

itaintegra31
07-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Randy,
I was in the White Acura, I let you by going into 14 when you cought fire the first time, I was right on your bumper, it scared the hell out of me,I got out of the throttle real fast. The whole back side of your car was on fire and I could see the gas pouring out and and catching fire.

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#52 ITA integra

racer_tim
07-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Randy, I was @ Turn 3 on Friday, and actually had to be on a conference call for the first session. I heard about something in 14-15 but didn't realize it was you.

As far as the sound thing, you got the sound board once, and that was it. What happened to others, like Moturrubio, if you get a sound board, and continue to cruise around with-out doing anything else, you will get a meat-ball. If you short shift, or modify you line, and don't hear anything else, then you "made" some modifications, and won't get black flagged.

Tim

racerandy2001
07-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by itaintegra31:
Randy,
I was in the White Acura, I let you by going into 14 when you cought fire the first time, I was right on your bumper, it scared the hell out of me,I got out of the throttle real fast. The whole back side of your car was on fire and I could see the gas pouring out and and catching fire.

WOW! You could see the gas huh? Was it a lot? It looked like the car was on fire?

Funny thing was I didn't see a thing, and only just smelled it the second time...and felt a little heat!

Sorry for the "show"...gonna be more careful now....:-) Problem is...the car NEEDS a full tank of gas to keep some weight in the rear of the car...

racerandy2001
07-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by racer_tim:

As far as the sound thing, you got the sound board once, and that was it. What happened to others, like Moturrubio, if you get a sound board, and continue to cruise around with-out doing anything else, you will get a meat-ball. If you short shift, or modify you line, and don't hear anything else, then you "made" some modifications, and won't get black flagged.

Tim

I told Carlos RIGHT BEFORE the race that Andrew should lift for the sound meter....even told him where it was at....they were only there to test the car for next weekends race....damn kids....don't listen to anybody... ;-)

itaintegra31
07-12-2004, 06:05 PM
[quote]Originally posted by racerandy2001:
[B] WOW! You could see the gas huh? Was it a lot? It looked like the car was on fire?

Yea, I could see the gas pouring out and the fire ball was the whole width of your car and back about 3 or 4 feet behind the car, I saw it catch fire when your car back fired. Before the back fire I could see gas spilling out. It was a show thats for sure.

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#52 ITA integra

Silkworm
07-26-2004, 01:28 AM
Hey Joe,

Saw you had your GTI out at T-hill this weekend, why the DQ?

PaulC

Joe Craven
07-27-2004, 04:42 PM
DQed due to non-spec rear sway bar. T&S (former GTI Cup racer) came by to greet me - "Welcome back to GTI Cup". He started looking over the car to make sure it was legal. I told him he was looking in the wrong place and directed him to the rear sway bar.

Yep, he pays special attention to the GTI Cup cars in impound and has Tech dq me for it. That's the last time I admit to anything before hand in friendly conversation. BTW, all the other GTI Cup racers are very open to what we are doing and share information to make our cars faster and safer so I wasn't hiding anything. I was renting the car so I told the owner to take the car home and I sat out the Sunday race. One can debate whether it was a benefit, soft GTI Cup springs keep the inside rear wheel off the ground in all corners anyways. In any case, rules are the rules and I was caught.

-Joe

GTI in 2005

racer_tim
07-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Joe, why weren't you running your GTI? Made too many "improvements" from the GTI Cup specs to ITB?

As I recall, the only real differences are:

No camber plates, Bilstein sport suspension kit, stock sway bars front / rear, no header, no LSD or welded diff.

Motor and tranny are pretty much the same.

------------------
Tim Linerud
#95 GP Wabbit

Joe Craven
07-27-2004, 09:21 PM
I would have run my car, but it needs updating to meet the new safety regs. Parts are in so it will be at Infineon for 8/22. My GTI is a bit too modified for GTI Cup, runs about 2 seconds per lap faster so it'll have to be entered in PS3 class.

My modifications are minimal, includes
coil over w/stiffer springs
header
removed "spec" front sway bar
modified (stiffer) rear sway bar.

Car still is open diff w/o camber plates. Amazing how much faster the car goes with stiffer springs!

Joe Craven
speed is addictive, don't want to slow my car down.

racer_tim
07-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Also, without the open diff. when BOTH front wheels are pulling the car, instead of just 1.

------------------
Tim Linerud
#95 GP Wabbit