PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Seca Dbl Regional

racer_tim
06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Joe, good win on Saturday. What broke within sight of the S/F on Sunday? You had a very good battle with Jeff, and after your 1 attempt for the inside pass @ turn 11, he pulled a couple of car lengths on you.

John Norris, what did you think of Laguna? That BMW sounds really sweet.

Ron Carroll, well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. What part of the braking system "broke"

Great weather, a little windy but that kept the temp's down.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

BMW RACER
06-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Tim. Thanks for asking. Luguna was great! Well worth the drive (5hours).Racing against Randy Jones was fun, too bad he kicked my arse! That's one fast and well driven Mazda. I got to meet Joe Kraven (fellow Capri nut) nice guy. The whole racing experience is bigger and better in NorCal. I'll be back for the runoff in November at Thunderhill, maybe I'll have something for that Randy guy
Cheers.
John Norris

itaintegra31
06-14-2004, 04:29 PM
A lot better then 0 out of 4 like the rest of the year.

I overheated the right front caliper in the ITA race and it went out in the ITX race, pedal to the floor in 11 was fun, parking brake didn't do much good. :-)

racer_tim
06-14-2004, 05:15 PM
John, it was Randy Evans, and yes, that 2nd Gen RX7 is really fast. Larry Cooper in the yellow #7 Z had his window net "fail" on the first lap, and he pitted to get it fixed.

The #49 ITZ car was driven by the owner, but the regulay driver Tom Wickersham is usually out front as well.

Glad you had a good time.

------------------
Tim Linerud
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)

Joe Craven
06-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks Tim, Laguna weekend went much better than I expected. Car ran pretty good, handling was a little off and I'm a bit perplexed on how to fix it.

Car understeers on left handers and oversteers on right handers. I've adjusted the cross weights which has improved the balance but the Xweight imbalance is now over 10% and I still need more.

Gonna go back to basics for a 4 wheel alignment with the hunch that the rear end is turned to the left.

Sunday's race was great, Jeff briefly lost it in 2 which allowed James (Volvo) and I to barely pass. I was hoping for a repeat of Saturday with the Volvo 142e and BMW 2002 battling for 2nd allowing me to pull a good lead. James bobbled and Jeff was on my tail within 2 laps and passed me down the front straight. (Santa, I need 5 more HP for Christmas - please) I would have held onto 2nd but I dropped #1 intake valve coming out of 9 and held my position to Turn 11. Car was way way down on power and I helplessly watched James in the Volvo motor past me to S/F for 2nd place.

It was a fun weekend, enjoyed meeting John and commend him on his fine performance on Toyos. John, Thunderhill is a course that rewards sticky tires. I'll be at the TH Dbl regional, anticipating the engine will be a quick and inexpensive repair.

itaintegra31
06-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Joe,
I have to take credit (or blame) for making Jeff loose it in 2, I tried to go inside of him at the entrance, I thought he saw me but when he turned in there I was and his left rear fender and my right front fender meet and caused him to spin. He was between Alan and I, so I needed by him. I felt bad that our contack had caused him to spin but in impound I meet him and we shook hands.

BMW RACER
06-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Joe. I'd like to be flattered by your comments regarding my performance on Toyos, but after getting whooped on Saturday I stepped up and bought some Hoosiers from Ron at AIM and qualified for and raced Sunday with them. I still got beat by Randy Evans, but at least I got close. I love my Toyos but the Hoosiers were good for about one second a lap. Guess what I'll have at Thunderhill.
See Ya

racerandy2001
06-17-2004, 11:50 PM
...yeah...and my car FINISHED ALL SESSIONS!

:-)

racer_tim
06-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Randy, the ol Camaro did pretty well. What did you get down to, a 1:48 ?

------------------
Tim Linerud
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)

racerandy2001
06-21-2004, 03:21 PM
I got down to 1:47.....

Left a lot on the track....I'm still SCAIR'D to go WOT over the hump past start finish, let the car wobble at 100++ MPH over the pavement transitions at the "apex" in the pit exit lane.... :-) Can't even think of steering input/braking while the car deals with that...I get over the last transition, and its like WHOA! I better hit some brakes NOW! :-D

GETS YOUR ATTENTION A little MORE THAN THE SAME "TURN" IN THE DATSUN....with THAT car it was like...Y.A.W.N. ;-)

I think I could have gotten down to the Vette times of 1:45 pretty easily with some more track time. My first race was pretty much toast when I screwed the start up BAD, and let several cars by including that SLOW white 3rd gen Camaro...who proceeded to block me REALLY BAD...I was too uncomfortable to push the issue too hard, and actually got into him once in T-5, then he brake checked my HARD going into T-6 and when I came out slow got RAMMED in the rear by an RX-7....tested my roll bar bumpers...THEY WORK! :-)

I just feel AWESOME that the car finished for once....and was competitive!