PDA

View Full Version : insurance for street registered IT cars

taloyd
11-17-2003, 06:54 PM
hello,

I just went to add my IT car to my car insurance policy, and was denied cold.

Does anybody know of any car insurance company that will insure an IT car, or do I have to lie to them and tell them that I do not race the car, ignore the stickers, and the roll cage is for safety (which it is).

thanks,
very pissed off,

-tal

------------------
_ _ ______ _ _
tal allweil
1988 Honda CRX Si
ITA #16
1990 Volvo 744ti
Solo 2 GS

geekITSracer
11-27-2003, 01:37 AM
What company is that? And how did it enter the equation that you're driving a racecar?

I use State Farm, and they never asked if it's a racecar - however, I only carry liability on it (1973 240z), so they didn't really care what I do with it or what it's worth. My agent knows I race, though we've never discussed which vehicle I race.

My ex got the Allstate agent in the divorce, but I swear I told him (when he asked why I have so many cars) that one is a racecar, one is a tow vehicle, and the other is for driving around - and the only thing that affected my rates was a 1-point ticket.

If you're insuring your car for comp & collision on the value of the mods, that's a different story...

Steve35
11-28-2003, 11:08 PM
I've used AAA for years without any problem. My old ITC Datsuns I drove on the street, to Auto-x's, etc I never told them they were race cars, just my 2nd car only driven on weekends! (LOL)
Good luck
Steve

USGUYS
11-28-2003, 11:46 PM
There should not be a problem insuring a street driven car. Most policies have exclusions for "use in or pararation for competive events". I would call an independent agent who shop a number or companies. I have never had a problem insuring the showroom stock car that I drove every day to work and raced on the weekends. Of course none of the coverages apply. Maybe you asked the wrong question. don't ask to insure your racecar, ask to insure you second car.
Ask around the events, someone has coverage on their car that you can buy.
Before they added an exclusion to all policies they had in the state, I made a legitimate claim on my policy for a crash I had racing the car. The company paid without question, even though the car was all decked out in it racing livery when the adjuster looked the car.