PDA

View Full Version : ITS guys, Thanks for staying home!

jhooten
07-05-2004, 05:19 PM
I would personally like to say thanks to all the SWDiv ITS drivers that decided to stay home and spend time with friends and family for the Forth of July weekend. Because all but two of you stayed home (or perhaps went to Hallet instead of TWS) not only did I finally finish two races to finish my novice permit book, I brough home two Bronze medals in class.

Thanks again.

x-ring
07-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Congrats, Jerry. I read your post over on the 'other makes' board and and was laughing out loud. My cell mate is probably wondering what the hell I'm reading.

I'm so glad to hear that your engine stayed together. You probably had as many DNF's in your novice book as anyone in history. Don't be in too much a hurry to send your book in, it's just as good as a license and is valid until your membership renewal comes due. No sense in sending in $55 just to have to send in another $55 in a few months.

Did you recover from the heat? You can't drink too much water in the southwest US in the summertime. Especially if you put a sauna-suit on and strap your self to a hot car. I let myself get dried out last July at a race and besides a nasty headache I was sick to my stomach. NOT the way to go racing. Now I make it a point to down two 16oz bottles of water each time I get out of the car and before each time I get in the car.

I know zip about Toyota suspension, but it sounds like you need to do something to decamber your wheels. I have developed a real distaste for those offset bushings but they're better than nothing until you can swing a set of camber plates. Bob Strech has a set of universal camber plates on Ebay right now, I think they're up to $35 with a couble of days to run. Dunno if they'll fit your car, but it would be worth looking into. If you go the offset bushing route tighten the hell out of them, or they'll rotate in mid-turn. Experience speaking here http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

I saw another set if Toy 8 spoke 14x7 wheels this weekend. I don't really need another set. I think they were at $40 yesterday with maybe two days to run.

Well, I had better get to work. It's almost 0730 and people are starting to filter in.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

jhooten
07-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Before Sunday's race I chugged a 32 oz Propel just to be sure. Of course the drive home Saturday night in the Big Blue thing with no AC didn't help.

I just measured the fronts and the camber came out to about -.02 degrees. Kumho says -2 min and -3 is better. Since I have an extra set of stock springs I am going to try a little experiment and cut a coil off. The guys on CelicaSupra.com say this will increase the negative camber and stiffen the spring rate. Worse case I'll have to fork over the bucks for a suspension kit. Next race is in October, so I've got some time.

Now for the killer, the two thirds are enough to put me as high as tied for 9th in the final points for the year. This was the last race in the division for 2004 points.

x-ring
07-07-2004, 08:14 AM
...I am going to try a little experiment and cut a coil off. The guys on CelicaSupra.com say this will increase the negative camber and stiffen the spring rate.

Hmm, like I said I know zip about Toy suspension. I can see the decambering effect but I can't figure out how cutting a coil off would change the rate. Get somebody over ther to 'splain that to you and then enlighten me, eh?

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

GT240sx
07-07-2004, 10:29 AM
I was thinking about doing the same thing to my springs in the 85 supra because the upper portion of the springs are just an open coil, so seating the spring would not be a problem.

Now to the spring rate.

Spring rate is typically defined as k = F/y where k is the spring rate, F is the applied force and y is the amount of deflection.

Another way to define spring rate is k = (d^4)*G / 8*(D^3)*Na where:
d = wire diameter
D = mean coil diameter
Na = number of active coils
G = shear modulus of material

By lowering the number of active coils, you will raise the spring rate.

jhooten, congratulations on a successful race weekend and on your top ten finish in points this season! It is encouraging to hear that the motor is holding up, I am planning on getting the machine work done on mine in the next few months. Have you contacted elprototypes about the ecu? I had a talk with Eric there yesterday and they are VERY knowledgeable about the engine and what it takes to get them running strong.

jhooten
07-07-2004, 06:15 PM
What he said...

I have been occupying all my time getting it in and running. Now that the summer break is here (the guys up north take the winter off, we take the summer off, Actually some say it is the heat but they really want the time to prep for the runnoffs) I have some time to get the power up to where it should be and play with the suspension.

And I can't remember if I ever told you, my name is Jerry.

Ty drives one of them evil 240Z things, but he is still a good guy inspite of it.

Ty as soon as they post the jan/feb/mar schedule I'll let you know so you can come over here and get some much needed practice. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by jhooten (edited July 07, 2004).]

x-ring
07-08-2004, 01:16 AM
...of them evil 240Z things...

Watsa matter, did some old carburated Datsun lap you? Heh, don't worry, I know the feeling. There's a guy out of Boulder with an RX-7 that I can't even keep in sight until I start to see him in my mirrors. Besides, IIRC the last time we were on track together both of our cars broke so I don't want to hear it.

January/February sounds good. In March I'll probably be at Arroyo Seco down on the NM/Mexico border, and in November I'm planning on Phoenix, so I'll have a couple of dead months to fill.

...spring rate is k = (d^4)G / 8(D^3)Na ...

I'll have to dig out my Roark's Forumla's. I don't do much material mechanics in my current job. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

jhooten
07-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Twice actually, but I'm working on that. I know the power was down. I got out drag raced down the straight by a Miata. The best I could do on the straight was 110. The old junk yard crap would get me up to 120 befor they blew up.

x-ring
07-09-2004, 08:26 AM
I got out drag raced down the straight by a Miata.

Ouch, that's probably going to leave a mark.

Have you talked to your builder about it? I know an engine won't be at it's best fresh out of the machine shop, but it sounds like you're down quite a bit. Let us know what you find out.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

jhooten
07-09-2004, 11:37 AM
I'm sure it is a combination of things.

OLD dirty injectors

Cheap autolite plugs from walmart

Cobbled togeather exhaust with the cast iron manifold and bits/pieces of the original pipe cut and clamped togeather.

Original airbox/filter.

And a new tight engine full of 20W50 conventional oil.

Going to 10W40 synthetic. Find some NGK or Denso plugs. Header. Ditch the airbox and put a good high flow cone filter. And replace the injectors. Then see where I'm at.

jhooten
07-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Went out to do the compression check the builder ask me to do after he first weekend yesterday. Had to fight to get the plug wires off of 1-4. Got to 5 and it was LOOOOOOOOOOSE. After the compression chec on 5 tried to put it back on the plug and never felt the little click you get when the contact snaps on the plug. Go find the big needle nose and give the contact a good squeeze. Then I got the reassuring click. Started it up and no miss. I'll go run it around the neighborhood in the next day or two and see if the miss is gone when good and warm under load. It couldn't be that simple could it?

Also cut the filter open. Found of little bit of metal particles, some bits of red silicone, and some small black particles. Nothing out of the ordinary.

jhooten
07-12-2004, 09:07 PM
GT240sx

If you havn't yet don't cut your springs, I have a cut set I don't need. They guy I got
the car from heard me talking about cutting the springs and said he still had the front Eibachs and hed meant to put them in the car before I picked it up. So I have Eibachs on all four corners. Now to find some "racing" struts to replace the stockers with.

GT240sx
07-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Jerry,
Thanks for the heads up on the cut stock springs. I am unfortunately still along way from needing them, but if you still have them laying around in a few months I will track you down. How's the car running? Have you gotten the power back and are the Eibachs a lot stiffer than the stock springs?

Russell

jhooten
07-24-2004, 07:44 PM
It feels better bouncing around the neighborhood but that really doesn't tell much does it? I was going to load it up and go to the drag strip friday night until we got the first rains of the month changed that plan. Maybe next week. I guess I'll have to see when the Solo 2 guys have their next event to check uot the handleing.

The springs I cut are not going anywhere anytime soon. Hollar when you are ready for them.

cpa7man
08-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Good job on the great weekend at TWS. I saw you unload, and spoke to you very briefly.(I have the ugly green RX-7) I have owned the MKI and MKII type Toyota's. Last summer I rebulit my sons 86.5 Supra and all I can say that for the $2400 (posted in another thread) you paid for the major rebuild is a bargan. These motors are famous for blowing HG's but other than that are very reliable. Good luck next season. I'll be back out in October, I'll make sure to look you up.

------------------
Paul Pineider
ITA 05 (Soudiv)

jhooten
08-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks Paul. It was great to finally finish a race. BTW, the final points were updated on the SWDiv web site firday. Finished tied for 10th. I bet it will take a miracle to repeat that next year.

I am looking forward to Oct at TMS and another new track. See you there.