PDA

View Full Version : TWS this next weekend

jhooten
03-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Who's going?

Engine #4 is in the (antique)Supra and acts like it may run. I have a couple leaks to get plugged up and make something that looks like and exhaust then test it by terrorizing the neighborhood.

I have a bag with my driving gear and another with the white coveralls packed. So I will either be the slowest ITS car on the track or watching from a corner.

x-ring
03-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Well Jerry, you'll be ahead of me, my engine is at the machine shop - I probably won't get it back until early next week.

Drive fast, take chances.

Ty

jhooten
03-22-2004, 11:12 AM
What did you do now?

This engine came out of an 85 Cressida wagon and only has 150k on it. I have high hopes that grandma didn't hot rod her car to much and this engine will get me through the 6 races to get a national lisc. Then I'll decide to build the Supra up to a GT/Prod car or sell it and start over with a Miata. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

x-ring
03-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Oh, nothing serious. I went to the race at Arroyo Seco two weeks ago and had bad overheating problems. We checked all the usual suspects; radiator, water pump, hoses, timing, mixture, etc., but I never did get on track after the test and tune day.

When I got home I pulled the head, thinking it might be the head gasket. The gasket was fine, but both the head and block were pretty corroded, about what you'd expect on a 30 year old engine. At that point I decided that since I had it half way out anyway I'd go ahead and rebuild it.

The machine shop is supposed to drop it off at Soren's place this afternoon so I brought the pickup to work to get it and take it home. I'll probably get it back in the car tomorrow night. I don't know if my overheat problem will go away, but other than the block/head corrosion I'm about out of ideas.

I'll post back next week, I think Soren rented the track to give some instruction next Tuesday so I'll be able to test it then.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

jhooten
03-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Good to hear it was more of a proactive tear down than the kind I have been getting a lot of practice at, you know, the rodknockingawshit type tear down.

All it has to do is get me through sat morning practice/qual, regional on saturday, and a restricted regional on sunday. Then I can finally take the X off the car.

A race at my "home" track, I'm not sure I'll know how to act.

x-ring
03-23-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure I'd describe it as a proactive teardown, more like a "I don't know what to do next, so I guess I'll rebuild the engine" teardown.

The bores were in remarkable shape, you could still see the cross hatching after 30 years and more than 100,000 miles. The shop told me that they didn't need to bore the block, just break the glaze and install new rings and bearings. I think Nissan must have used old battleship hulls for the metal to cast those blocks.

Mainly I suppose I wanted to make sure that the coolant passages were clean and unobstructed. Same thing with the head, except that the valve seats were pretty bad, so I went ahead and had them ground.

I'll let you know how it looks tomorrow.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

jhooten
03-27-2004, 11:13 PM
You may be getting closer to another set of wheels. 17 minutes into P&Q the damn car ripped the water pump off and threw it, with fan attached into the radiator. By the time a got to a safe place to pull off the track the engine appears to have cooked it's self.

jhooten
03-27-2004, 11:14 PM
delete duplicate post

[This message has been edited by jhooten (edited March 27, 2004).]

x-ring
03-29-2004, 11:12 AM
How in the world did that happen? Yikes, I'm beginning to think your car is possesed, much like mine. Know any good excorcists?

It had to happen in P&Q too, so no refund. At least mine happened during Friday test & tune so I got most of my fee back.

After LaJ last year, when I threw the belt, I added a 'charge' light to my idiot light cluster. Not because I care about my alternator charging but so that I'll know right away if I loose another belt.

We have the track reserved Wednesday afternoon for a test session, We'll see how it goes.

Ty

jhooten
03-29-2004, 06:20 PM
I was thinking about asking the chaplins at work if they could or knew someone to do it. The question is should the exorcism be done before or after the new engine is installed?

But the good news was even with open exhaust, with the tip pointed at sound, I was only 94 dB.

[This message has been edited by jhooten (edited March 29, 2004).]

x-ring
03-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Wow, no muffler and the tip pointed at the mic only recorded 94 dB?

Did you remember to remove the cat? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

---------------

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

jhooten
03-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Yes, and she was not happy when I threw her out and rolled up the windows so she could not get back in. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

jhooten
04-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Got the engine out and he head off today. There is a section of the outer edge of the #1 piston about .25X1.5" missing. Now I know why there was so much pressure in the crankcase.

x-ring
04-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I guess. Have you considered buying a 'good' engine from a scrap yard and doing a minor rebuild/refresh before you install it? You know, polish the crank, new mains & rings, hone the bores, etc. Don't get too deep into it and you should be able to get away for under $1K or so. Probably tank the block while you have it apart. At least then you'd be starting from a known good point.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

jhooten
04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
The april race has been deleted from the schedule. There is a race at TMS the first weekend in May and the last weekend in May one at TWS. I am going to take the best of all the parts I have on hand and build a good motor. I may not make TMS but I should have a "NEW", reliable motor by the TWS race. I am looking of a machine shop that knows what a Toyota in-line six is and can work on them. I should be able to do it for what I have been paying for junk yard motors and lost enty fees.