PDA

View Full Version : La Junta (cont)

jhooten
06-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Looks like there are three ITS car entered now. That 944 Porsche will probally lap me three times before the race is over.

x-ring
06-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Yeah, you and me too.

Hey, someone pointed me to a list of motels in LaJunta; there are nine entries on the list. I'm going to call today, I'll let you know who has rooms open. Surely, all nine can't be filled, can they?

Ty

jhooten
06-02-2003, 07:31 PM
But one of us should take home the second place trophy http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

x-ring
06-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Sorry I'm so late posting Jerry, my computer was, uh, occupied until now. Kids http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

As of 1630 (MDT) this afternoon (6/2) the Stagecoach Inn (719.384.5476) had single rooms open for $45/night. I didn't call the La Junta Budget Inn (719.384.2504), the Mid Town Motel (719.384.7741) or the Westerner Motel (719.384.2591). They may have openings also.

If all of those are full, and you're still looking, email me (x-ring<at-sign>zcar.com)and I have contact numbers in Rocky Ford (about 10 miles west of town) too.

It doesn't look like you entered Sunday's race, how come?

Ty

jhooten
06-03-2003, 08:54 AM
I was told by the registrar that I can not "legally" enter the race until the chief steward signs off on my second school. I was assured that registration would be sitting right next to the chief when he signs log books and will allow me to enter the race at that time. I was also assured that I would only have to pay the difference. So unless I really screw up at the school and don't get signed off I will be racing on sunday.

I understand busy computers, we have three internet computers all tied to one dial up line. Living in the boonies has it's advantages, high speed internet ain't one off them.

x-ring
06-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Oops, I guess I'd have known that, if I had asked. Oh well, I don't think they'll make me leave or anything.

Ditto on the boonie thing. I am unwilling to flip the cost for satellite broadband (the only thing available besides dial up here) and a network here at the house, but I've considered it. Direct TV's price is coming closer to reasonable for broadband service. Maybe next year, after I've recovered from building the 280.

Ty

jhooten
06-03-2003, 11:11 AM
I may have to more activly persue findind a roof over my head for the weekend,

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USCO0...&whatprefs=&y=0 (http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USCO0223?x=0&lswe=la+junta%2C+Co&lswa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&whatprefs=&y=0)

Scattered T-storms Fri-Sat-Sun.

I have Dish Network now and they don't offer the service yet. Thought the merger might change that but it didn't go through.

x-ring
06-03-2003, 11:17 PM
Uh, yeah. That link looks kind of scary. I guess I better make sure I pack the canopy, but not for the sun this time.

BTW, the RE here spoke to the chief steward, we're in run group six with, well, virtually everyone else. I've been working for him (part time) in his car prep shop until I turn up a 'real' job, and as long as I don't do too much 'shopping' while I'm there I should get a check instead of a bill on Fridays. I had to get a new radiator today; so much for that. Anyway, it is kind of nice working for the Rio Grande Region RE, I can get questions answered almost instantly.

Also, I found out today that the on-line list isn't all the entries, it's just the people, like you and I and the 944, who registered through the web site. Mail in and hand carried entries aren't there, so there will probably be more ITS cars than the list would seem to indicate.

Any luck finding a room?

Ty

jhooten
06-03-2003, 11:37 PM
I just got in and cleaned up. Had to take he 4 worst tires off the 3 cars and go to discount to get my Kumho ecsta V700 mounted. Funny thing is Dicount tire bought them from tire rack. Well damn, I could have done that, but then I would have had to pay some one to mount and balance. Now, how to get them heat cycled before this weekend so I can use them. Then when I got home I had to put a Ham HF antenna mount on the truck since I broke the old one some how. Tomorrow I have to drain and refill the radiator on the Supra, mount the transponder and make the last minute checks and repair any thing I find wrong. But, I will make time to call around and see what I can find with an available room.

Tell me again why was it I got into racing? To relax and have fun?

x-ring
06-04-2003, 11:14 AM
What did Discount want for the victoracers, and what size do you run? I called them (local store) and for 225/50/15 they wanted $178/ea mounted & balanced, unshaved, unheatcycled, with a road hazard warranty http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif and said a week to ten days to get them.

Tire rack sold them to me, not mounted and no road hazard warranty (darn!), shipped for $126/ea, delivered in three to four days. I hope they show up by Friday morning. I prefer to buy local, but $50 more ea?

Ty

jhooten
06-04-2003, 02:31 PM
They told me Victoracers were being replaced with Ecstas and they couldn't get victoracers any more. Tire rack listed them for $109 ($124 shaved of $124 heat cycled) and Discount sold them to me for $113 and charged for the balancing. The size is 225/50/14. The total for the four mounted an balanced (not reinstalled on the car) was $489.

BTW when the manager called to tell me they were in I asked him the total and he gave me a number, I asked if it included the lifetime free replacement and he said "yes, wait a minute these are V700s, are you going to autocross them are you?" To which I replied "NOOOOOO" of course.

There must be a Bunch of people registered that are not listed on the web site. Every motel I called was booked for the weekend. Either that or there is some thing else going on in La Junta.

And I do not see any GT,T, and only one SS. Whut's up wit dat?

x-ring
06-05-2003, 12:33 AM
Jerry, you kill me:

...you going to autocross them are you?" To which I replied "NOOOOOO" ROTFLMAO

I guess I need to start shopping at your Discount Tire store. The guy I talked to this time was pretty clueless. He went to check on something for me and then never called back. Well, what do you want for $8.00/hr?

Something you may not know about the RMDiv: It's pretty much a Denver club, with a few (like ME) interlopers. I wouldn't be shocked to find that more than half of the entrants gave their entry over in person.

I have the numbers for some hotels in Rocky Ford, about 10 miles west on US highway 50.

Western Motel, 515 Elm St. - (719) 254-3881
Melon Valley Inn, 1319 Elm St - (719) 254-3306
Rocky Ford Inn, 1720 Elm St. - (719) 254-9926

My wife just told me that she saw video of the results of a storm today in northeast NM on the news. They were interviewing a guy holding a 4" dia hail stone. Wonderful.

Good luck, hope you find a place to sleep out of the rain. There's always the floor of my hotel room if you can't find anything else.

Ty

jhooten
06-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Weather.com has taken the thunderstorms out for sat/sun and is now saying p-cloudy. There is still hope.

The could have put us in group three with ITE and the other big thumpers I guess. On the other hand there goes my chances of getting an earlier start on the road home.

I am still not sure if the manager ever figured out what the tires were going to be used for. He may not ever be aware of what Club Racing is and AutoX is all the SCCA is about.

Having lived in the Amarilo area for 4 years, I do not miss the monster storms. Now that I am down in the 60-100 foot tall pines the wind and blowing debris does get slowed down a little before it hits. BUT, not being able to see from one end of the earth to the other does allow the storms to sneak up on you.

I may not be able to get back on the computer befor hitting the road so just in case, See you tomorrow evening or bright and early Saturday morning.

jhooten
06-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Ty,
I didn't forget you, but I did wash the card with your address on it. Please send me an e-mail at [email protected] with the address so I can get your box on the way.

x-ring
06-18-2003, 12:21 AM
Jerry, you have mail.

BTW, how did you come out on the motor? Soren is right, the guy that sold it to you really should pony up, at least with a replacement if he doesn't want to give your money back.

Ty