PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Ledges Improvements?

R2 Racing
12-13-2004, 04:12 PM
I was just sitting here excited about all of the CenDiv track improvements. IRP's getting brand spanking new pavement and some curbing, the Milwaukee Mile has a completely re-vamped infield section that'll be open for the first time in 20+ years, and we have the brand new Autobahn track in Joliet, IL. So of course I had to wonder about that bastard child, Nelson Ledges. I know in the last year several improvements have been made. However, I still have not been there since July 8th, 2001 when I wrote off my racecar and spent 7 weeks in a neck brace due to that place. I also question what I've heard about improvements there cause it seems to be a lot of rumor and conflicting stories.

So can anyone shed some light on this? What has NL actually done and are their any plans of doing anything more sometime soon? The track layout is an absolute blast and I would love to race their again but I'm not going comprimising safety. Flushable toilets and a mowed paddock are great, don't get me wrong, but no potholes, correctly graded run off areas, and a properly stacked tire wall is even better.

Kevin

joeg
12-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing:
I was just sitting here excited about all of the CenDiv track improvements. IRP's getting brand spanking new pavement and some curbing, the Milwaukee Mile has a completely re-vamped infield section that'll be open for the first time in 20+ years, and we have the brand new Autobahn track in Joliet, IL. So of course I had to wonder about that bastard child, Nelson Ledges. I know in the last year several improvements have been made. However, I still have not been there since July 8th, 2001 when I wrote off my racecar and spent 7 weeks in a neck brace due to that place. I also question what I've heard about improvements there cause it seems to be a lot of rumor and conflicting stories.

So can anyone shed some light on this? What has NL actually done and are their any plans of doing anything more sometime soon? The track layout is an absolute blast and I would love to race their again but I'm not going comprimising safety. Flushable toilets and a mowed paddock are great, don't get me wrong, but no potholes, correctly graded run off areas, and a properly stacked tire wall is even better.

Kevin

joeg
12-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Kevin--There was major repaving before last year as well as overall facility upgrades.

During the last races in '04, we noticed a great deal of timber removal in the chute running from Oaktree to the Carousel. Don't know what that means for tire wall work.

They continue to do many good things at the track

datadude
12-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Just to clarify. IRP is only repairing turn 1 and some other areas that are in need of repair. According to the press release it is NOT full track pavement.

RACER10
12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
That "bastard child" is a track that has been undergoing tremendous improvments over the past three years. It continues to make improvments in all areas of the facility. Scott and Keri have been putting a lot of time and money into making Nelson Ledges more fun.
We know that you have not been there to see these improvments, so why do you put down a place you do not know?
If you do not want to participate as worker or racer, that is OK with us. Please do not spread bad words on that which you do not know.
Thank-you

m glassburner
12-16-2004, 06:48 PM
RACER10 you might want to re-read the statement...seems he or she had a life changing accident there http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

R2 Racing
12-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by RACER10:
That "bastard child" is a track that has been undergoing tremendous improvments over the past three years. It continues to make improvments in all areas of the facility. Scott and Keri have been putting a lot of time and money into making Nelson Ledges more fun.
We know that you have not been there to see these improvments, so why do you put down a place you do not know?
If you do not want to participate as worker or racer, that is OK with us. Please do not spread bad words on that which you do not know.
Thank-you

Wow, awfully touchy now aren't we? I think you need to go back and reread what I wrote again and then explain to me how I'm "spreading bad words on that which you do not know." I don't think I said anything to bash NL other than "Bastard Child" and if that got you all riled up, can I suggest a nice vacation or something? This is why I'm asking about what's been done to the place - to become more informed about it.

Also, until you've had the short comings of a facility destroy one of your racecars, break your neck, cause temporary paralysis from the waist down, be within 1mm of being paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of your life, spend a week in the hospital, have three vertebra fused together, spend 7 weeks in a neck brace, and have to relearn basic motor skills afterwards, then you can come and talk to me like that.

Now, knowing that, do you think I could've really bashed the place had I really wanted to? I mean really? Uhm yea, I think so. Here, read this again and think about how much of "a sport" I'm already being:
"The track layout is an absolute blast and I would love to race their again but I'm not going comprimising safety."

So if you would just love to maybe list out some of these "tremendous improvements" for me as I thought I was politely asking for in the first place, well that would be just great!

Thank you and have a terrific day!

RACER10
12-17-2004, 01:00 PM
I am aware of the accident. Having torn a few cars up myself, I have deep sympathy for anyone that gets injured. The incident could have happened at any track to any one of us. Every track has some safety shortcomings (cement walls, exposed armco, trees, earth banking). Every track is constantly undergoing re-evaluation and improvement.

If I over reacted I appologize. But refering to a racetrack as a "bastard child" is degrading. I hve seen a lot of tracks turned under over the years. I would like to see what we have last.

Merry Christmas

Bryan Addis
01-24-2005, 03:10 PM
I raced at NL for the first time in probably 10 years this past year at the 12 hour. The bumps I used to aim for in order to make it flat out through 1 and 2 were gone! I finally got the nerve to do it...and made it! I was also in a faster car! The track has been MUCH IMPROVED since my last race their. It must have gotten worse since it got better. I love Nelson Ledges. I have many fond memories there. The track was in great shape compared to the last time I race there in the early '90's!!! Hope this helps. Get well and get racing again.

Bryan

R2 Racing
01-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Thank you for your input, Bryan! I've been hearing a lot of great things about the track itself which is great to hear, definately. I'm still getting some conflicting stories on wether or not the tirewalls have been restacked, the runoff graded, and the facilities improved.

Don't worry, that wreck was 3.5 years ago. I was back racing a year later better than ever.