PDA

View Full Version : Kettle Moraine Double @ Road America

Greg Gauper
08-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Who's going this weekend? I'm running GP on Saturday as a test day and trading Nomex for worker whites on Sunday.

Heads up to any out of towners...watch your speed on Hwy 57 where it splits off from I43. With the PGA in town in Sheboygen, the cops are everywhere looking for speeders. Waldo is a big speed trap (7 miles south of Plymouth).

planet6racing
08-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Greg, I'll be there! I'm planning on paddocking in the lower flat near "turn" 4.

I'll second the above recommendation. Also, if you follow 43 north and cut over on 23, you're equally screwed. The PGA thing is really going to make traffic interesting that weekend, especially leaving on Sunday...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

tschwenke
08-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks Greg, that darn PGA thing is why I wanted to talk earlier, what 2 months ago, man that is screwing up the hotel scene.

Yes, #10 and #41 ITB will be there again, had to much fun last time, even after stalling on the grid DOOH..

We will watch the speed of the train as we pull through that area.

JeffG
08-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up. This will be my first event of the year. Hope it warms up a bit!

Jeff
67 ITS

Greg Gauper
08-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by JeffG:
Hope it warms up a bit!

Jeff
67 ITS

You got it all wrong....cold = HP http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif The cold weather we had at the Cat national last month was worth a few hundred RPM going into Canada Corner.

As long as it is dry. Forcast is for high 60's/low 70's and partly cloudy.

R2 Racing
08-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Greg - my Dad and I are coming up. Looking forward to seeing you again! I'll be in my ITA Integra RS and my Dad in the ITC Civic CX. Damn, it's been two years already since I've been there and we had still to this date the best battles I've ever had. Then my engine practically fell out on the last lap on Sunday!

Cool that Travis and Chris are making the trip too. I'll stop by and say hey. I'm loading up this afternoon and will be heading out around 9 or so tomorrow morning. I imagine we'll paddock in the lower area by the last turn. Seems to work for our rig. Weather should be perfect!

Kevin

Greg Gauper
08-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Look forward to seeing you Kevin.

Not sure how much paddock space will be in your 'traditional' area. This event is part of the Formula Ford East-West challenge series and I think they might have dibs on that area (the paved area atthe bottom of the hill), plus there might be some areas off limits with circus tents in preperation for ALMS/SWC next week, left over from Champ Cars last week.

I am planning on paddocking with the 'Billy-Bob' ITA 1st gen CRX group and we are going to try to set a record for the worlds biggest 'shanty town' with 4 or 5 awnings http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

P.S. I think you're gonna find the Kink is a real eye opener in the ITA car compared to the ITC Civic http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited August 12, 2004).]

gsbaker
08-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Oh man, you guys are making me homesick--I grew up in the Midwest.

You have great racing, great golf (OK, a little traffic conflict there) and what am I doing? Dodging a hurricane.

Sheez.

Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
Orlando (blow me away) Florida.

R2 Racing
08-13-2004, 02:49 AM
I'm going to be heading out around 9am tomorrow morning. Should put me in around 7pm local time.

Greg - I'm actually excited about the kink in an ITA car. Especially the Integra cause it's proving to do two things really well - get down the straights in a hurry and take fast sweeping corners! I'm not looking to paddock on the pavement really. Probably just out in the grass down there.

benracin
08-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Well if I knew brainerd was going to tank more than a week before the event I'd be there too dudes. Wish I could join in the fun! And if anyone sees a dark blue ITA Saturn out there, try to slow him down. He thinks he can beat the time of my rockin' rx7 but I don't think a car made out of rubbermaid trash cans can do it.

Oh that was mean!!! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Ben.

planet6racing
08-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Ben, at least my region knows how to hold an event!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

R2 Racing
08-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Got the pole in ITA on Saturday by 6.5 seconds and 5.5 seconds on Sunday. Came away with a second and a DNF. What a weekend - should've stayed home. Friggin axles!!! Hey, at least the drive sucked both ways.

Greg Gauper
08-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Sorry to see you have problems Kevin. Hope it doesn't discourage you from coming back. The car looked really good when it ran.

As consolation, it was nice to see your Dad get down into the low 2:59's on Sunday. Sorry none of the local ITC guys didn't show up to give hime somebody to play with.

Greg Gauper
08-16-2004, 01:34 PM
BTW - Bill.....

I was working station 2 on Sunday. Something up front on your Saturn has a serious flutter at speed. Looks like a loose chin spoiler/air dam/lower cowling? Might be a loose lower engine cover?

planet6racing
08-16-2004, 02:02 PM
I thought I saw you at 2. I'm still amazed at how much space I can make up through 2 just following the advice you gave about the shack and going straight...

Yeah, that was the lower part of my nose on the car. I went off in six on Saturday and broke it all loose again. Saturday was not my day, to say the least.

Anyone know anything about the cluster f*$& that happened in 3 on the first lap of Sunday's race? I nearly got hit and there were two cars off to the side after that lap. Plus, I know one person got DQ'd later, but I don't know why...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

Greg Gauper
08-16-2004, 02:36 PM
The ITA VW that won had drilled and slotted rotors and got tossed....tsk,tsk,tsk. That gave the win to Burns and everybody moved up a spot in the results.

The only thing I saw was you guys (the IT/SM group, not you specifically) trying to go 4-wide going into 3. From station 2 you loose sight of the cars once they get to the #1 shutdown marker. I didn't hear anything on the phones.

One of the cars (the orange one) I believe was Kevin and he pulled off on the first lap with a broken axle. I don't think it was contact related, however if it broke on the first lap people might have gotten stacked up behind him when it broke. Don't know what happened with the second car (he pulled off the next lap).

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited August 16, 2004).]

planet6racing
08-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Yep, 4 wide. I was right behind them all, then saw some car headed straight for my door. While the grass may be the slow way, it was also the safe way in that situation!

I think I saw the orange Integra (that was Kevin, right?) slow on the outside of 3, but I was more focussed on keeping my car in one piece than who was where.

Sorry I didn't get down there to see you guys. Who had the Bugle down there Saturday morning? I was laughing my butt off when I heard that (but not so much when the GT1 car came by at 7:05 am at nearly full throttle...)

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

R2 Racing
08-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Yea, I suppose that was my fault. Coming out of turn one and through two the axle popped (again...) and I had cars everywhere around my while loosing all power. That wasn't fun! I was waving my arms frantically while going around the very outside of three hoping that no one would hit me. Once everyone passed I just pulled off to the right in a nice spot that wouldn't draw a yellow. Did anyone wave to me as I was sitting up on the hill watching the whole friggin race? To add insult to injury, a sweat bee stung my while I was sitting there....

The other car that pulled off was a ITS Porsche who coming out of 3 on the 2nd or 3rd lap broke something in the back left suspension. The car dropped onto the tire and smoked like you wouldn't believe so he pulled it off right after the "cheese" bridge.

Kevin
'92 ITA Integra RS

JeffG
08-16-2004, 08:42 PM
A truly picture perfect weekend at RA!! The traffic was hell Sunday afternoon, but it was well worth it!

Jeff
67 ITS

ITSsentra
08-17-2004, 12:42 PM
HA my day was worse, I had a Tire issue on the right rear, It made going left interesting and always sideways, and then my left front wheel bearing snapped at top of fifth gear going into canada corner. That did some damage and made it a short expensive weekend. Ohwell im going to run a NASA race this weekend at mid ohio its almost fixed just waiting on one part. Ant the integra sorry to hear about your luck, but the first race you had a good battle going on with the miata for awhile

planet6racing
08-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Hey Greg, who was working 8? I kept cracking up on the pace lap when they were either dancing or doing some other wild stuff! That helped take the edge off on Saturday (my bad day)!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

rjohnson999
08-17-2004, 02:20 PM
That' Mike and Joellyn Key's signature.

Originally posted by planet6racing:
Hey Greg, who was working 8? I kept cracking up on the pace lap when they were either dancing or doing some other wild stuff! That helped take the edge off on Saturday (my bad day)!

Greg Gauper
08-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Yep, it was Mike and Joellyn.

tschwenke
08-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Kevin. 1-saw you sitting there, I didn't wave as I was a little busy. My exhaust broke at the start and it took me 2 laps to figure out what was broke. Then whatever my new gremlin is just killed the engine, race over.

2. you were waving like a mad man at the start, I saw you but the miata behind me sure didn't.

3. I will have to get your cell, my friends left 30minutes+ ahead of us and called us with traffic updates, we ended up taking a few back roads and made up some good time.

4. What in the he** is going on with that transmission?

planet6racing
08-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Kevin:

I wanted to wave, but figured you'd wave back with one finger seeing as how you were probably pi$$ed that you were out of the race!

I think I'm going to need to do some corner working sometime soon. Just so I can meet all the whacky people that are out there doing crazy stuff for us drivers...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

R2 Racing
08-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Yea, the dancing corner workers made me laugh during the warm up lap each day.

You guys should've waved, I would've waved back http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif. Still watch for finger however. Travis - I was watching your race for 2nd in ITB on Sunday and it was a good one. I was wondering what happened however to knock you out. I'm glad to hear it wasn't contact as I had feared.

I think I might have to try www.raxles.com (http://www.raxles.com) next and see if they can get me something that doesn't break. This cheap ass AutoZone crap just isn't going to do it apparently.

Kevin

Greg Gauper
08-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Dumb question...

How much more are OEM Acura halfshafts? I would think they would be stronger...

An inquiring 'wacky' corner worker/driver wants to know http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif