PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Indy?

GT240sx
08-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Looking for any members living close to Indianapolis. I am in the process of building an 85 Toyota Supra for ITS and I currently live on the southside of Indy in Greenwood. I am just about to start roll cage fab. and welcome any suggestions or lessons learned from current IT racers. It would also help to see any IT cars in the area or just do some bench racing over the fall and winter. Anyone out there?

------------------
Russell White
'85 Toyota Supra
ready for ITS in 8 months....maybe

C. Ludwig
08-03-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm about an hour and a half south of you. Just on the Indiana side of Louisvile. I also race in ITS with an 86 RX-7. Look up PaulyD on this board. Think that's what he goes by. He's another ITS RX-7 guy and he lives right around Indy somewhere. Have any questions feel free to shoot them my way. There is/was a guy from Michigan that has an ITS Supra. He mainly runs at Waterford with their club from what I've heard but I saw him at Grattan two years ago. He was pretty fast so he might be able to give you some good info.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Eagle7
08-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by C. Ludwig:
There is/was a guy from Michigan that has an ITS Supra. He mainly runs at Waterford with their club from what I've heard but I saw him at Grattan two years ago. He was pretty fast so he might be able to give you some good info.
I think his name is Doug Moore. He's won every race I've seem him enter at Grattan. Every time I seem him he asks if I want to buy his car. He wasn't at Grattan this Memorial Day - maybe somebody bought the car.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

C. Ludwig
08-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Don't think he was there last year either. Was he?

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Eagle7
08-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Memorial Day 2003 he beat John Herman Sunday in a photo finish. I wasn't there Saturday. If I remember right you were pulling out Sunday morning as I was coming in, and your buddy had raced Saturday.
Labor Day 2003 he almost lapped me twice. I'm faster now http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif (but not that much http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif)

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

[This message has been edited by Eagle7 (edited August 03, 2004).]

GT240sx
08-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will see if I can find the guy from Michigan with the supra and the guy around Indy with the RX-7.

Chris - I drive through Lousville around 10 times a year, I will see if you are around next time I pass through and I appreciate the response and willingness to answer questions, as you know they come pretty often when building your first car.

GT240sx
08-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Anyone else actually in Indianapolis..."The motor racing capital of the world." I know a few spec miata guys that are not on the IT.com site but that's about it.

------------------
Russell White
'85 Toyota Supra

trd77
08-07-2004, 11:28 AM
I live in fishers, and my dad lives in indy, we both drive TR8s in ITS

Racerlinn
08-09-2004, 01:35 PM
I live on the northwest side, I'm currently building up my '92 SE-R for (hopefully) ITA next year. Paul D'Anglo (ITS RX7) is in the area, as are plenty of SM guys. Pat Tipton (ITA VW) lives out in Clermont. Shane Benson owns AIM Tuning (www.aimtuning.com)down on Gasoline Alley, he's an authorized SM shop. Jason Baugh is also local and owns Trackside Supply (www.tracksidesupply.com).

------------------
Steve
'92 ITS(A?) Sentra SE-R
www.indyscca.org

GT240sx
08-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I have met Shane at AIM and I think I have met Jason on gasoline alley before.

Steve
Is the Sentra your first IT car? How far along are you in the build?

I am going to pick up some sheetmetal Thursday to start on the roll cage attachments. I don't get the .080" mounting plate thickness, it's not a manufactured sheetmetal thickness. Oh well, that's the rules.

I am looking to learn and get any experience I can with IT cars or just racing, so if anyone locally needs some help on a weekend with testing, general wrenching on a racecar or crew members at a race send me an email. I have some off road racing experience with driving and with most aspects of building a car from a pile of metal so I can be helpful.
russellewhite <at> sbcglobal.net

Thanks,

------------------
Russell White
'85 Toyota Supra

Racerlinn
08-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Russell,
Yes, first IT car. I am building it up from it's prep as a Solo2 car, which I have been doing for the last 6 years. Pretty much doing safety mods only as I already have all the suspension and power mods I can afford (ie. already paid for). I'm planning on running at the back of the pack :-) It's stripped and getting ready for a cage. Where are you having your cage done?
If you are looking for raw materials, try http://www.aedmotorsport.com/
They are local up here near 86th @ I-465. Very affordable DOM tube and aluminum sheetmetal.
I may have met you at IRP, I have been dodging cars while working Pit-Out for the last several years for the Regionals and National race.

------------------
Steve
'92 ITS(A?) Sentra SE-R
www.indyscca.org

paulydee
08-13-2004, 08:08 AM
Sorry I haven't chimed in sooner. I am out of the country at the moment and this was the first opportunity I have had to roam the IT board. I live right near the airport. I don't have a line on the cage building process, but I can help out in any other respect of build up. I'll be back in town in just over a week.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
http://www.iridiumracing.com
http://www.iridiumracing.com/Header3.jpg

RacerBill
08-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Lloyd Jenning's son used to build cages. Look him up in the region directory.

GT240sx
08-13-2004, 03:52 PM
It's good to finally find some more people close by. Paul I think I remember seeing your car at the Mother's Day Races at IRP.

I am planning on fabricating the roll cage myself. Some suggestions on mounting plate placement and access to a tubing bender would be really helpful though. I am planning on purchasing one in the next few months, so if anyone wants to get rid of a mechanical tubing bender that would be awesome. I just picked up the mounting plate material from Loyal Sheetmetal, they actually had some 13gauge in stock. I have also talked to aedmotorsports, they do have the best DOM prices in town.

Steve, where are you planning on getting your roll cage made?

------------------
Russell White
'85 Toyota Supra

Racerlinn
08-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Warren LeVeque. He is a long-time Corvair racer and autocrosser. He lives up in Anderson. I hope to have the car to him by the end of the month, just waiting for various odds-n-ends to show up before I take it up to him.

------------------
Steve
'92 ITS(A?) Sentra SE-R
www.indyscca.org
http://www.indyscca.org/photos/04-27-03/P1/thumbnails/04_27_03b.jpg

RacerBill
08-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Off topic, please excuse http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/redface.gif

Russ: If you talk to Warren, please let him know that I have seen a '66-'69 140 just go up for sale. Paint is not the best, but body looks good. Have not taken a close look.