PDA

View Full Version : First time at Mid Ohio Sept 5 & 6

RX767
09-02-2003, 02:38 PM
I am "planning" to race at Mid Ohio this weekend for the first time. It will also be the first time I have had the car out in nearly two years. Following a wreck at Watkins Glen, I redid the car. I have installed a "G- Force" suspension, fuel cell, and exhaust among many other time consuming things.
I would appreciate any advice, insights, or practical information that a novice should know about getting there, paddock logistics, driving the track, etc..

Thank you in advance.

Bill Emery
ITA#23 - IT7 #28 this weekend
Glen Region

downingracing
09-02-2003, 03:27 PM
You will LOVE Mid-Ohio! Look me up on Friday night. (I'm the co-race chair for this event - Matt Downing) I paddock up in the grass. I've got a Red Civic (ITS #14) and a white trailer with 'downingracing.com' on the sides. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the track or the weekend. You can email me directly or post here. ([email protected]) It's going to be a GREAT weekend! See you at the track!

------------------
Matt Downing
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

Erik Cross
09-03-2003, 09:35 AM
I'll be looking forward to racing with you!

As for driving the track, get comfortable with it, then you'll go fast.

RX767
09-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Matt and Erik,

I look forward to meeting you both. I will arrive Saturday morning. I am going to tow to Pittsburgh Friday night and stay with family since I am working that day.
As far as driving the track, I know that will progress with seat time. I did find a video clip of a guy doing a full lap in a Canterham 7. It should help with some visual cues unless they have removed some of the bridges.
It also looks like perfect weather this weekend.

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23

Erik Cross
09-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Good weather is always a plus!

Look for my dad and I on grid, we'll be pleased to chat for a few before we go out on track.

------------------
IT7 #98

Because it doesn't end until 8,500 RPM!

R2 Racing
09-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Hi Erik and welcome to Mid Ohio! Go to http://www.midohio.com/sportscarcourse/track/video.asp to download a video of a single lap around Mid Ohio from the roof of an Acura NSX. This is about your best resource for finding a video with someone driving a good line.

Anyway, my Dad and I will be there in two bright orange ITC Honda Civic's. We're usually parked at the very top of the grass paddock right where you'll be driving into the facility. Feel free to stop by and say hi.

------------------
Kevin
R2 Racing
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

JDEllis
09-04-2003, 07:27 AM
Bill:

I'll chip as another offer for help. We'll be in the center garage building, red/white/blue #71 ITS Olds Calais.

-jde

------------------
J.D. Ellis
OVR #71 ITS Olds Calais
[email protected]

RX767
09-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Kevin and J.D.,

I look forward to meeting you both. Thanks for the additional link.

Would anyone reccommend staying at the Fairfield or Hampton in Mansfield or am I placing my wife and me near some ghetto?

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23

tschwenke
09-04-2003, 03:12 PM
If those are the ones off of Springmill? road then they are fine, nice area. There are some other hotels down off Hanley road and the next exit south on 71. They are all within 15 minutes or so of the track.

Enjoy the entry to thunder valley and don't catch the front edge of the yellow curb..

JDEllis
09-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Bill:

I'm not as familar with Mansfield, but exits 169 (the aforementioned Hanley Rd) and 165 (Oh Rt 97/Bellville) off I-71 have several hotels to choose from. Each are roughly 10 min from the track.

-jde

trd77
09-05-2003, 12:51 AM
the fairfiled and hampton are good hotels, next to the exit and easy to get to. It is in a nice area with many store and places to eat. We always stay in one of the two and there is a Applebees nex door which makes it nice to walk to. They can be full so often you need to call ahead

RX767
09-08-2003, 09:35 AM
I hope you all had great race weekend. We had a sudden family emergency Friday evening that prevented me from attending. Thank you for the responses and offers for help. I hope to meet you all next season at Mid Ohio or possibly at Nelson Ledges in October.

All the best,

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23

downingracing
09-08-2003, 09:57 AM
Bill,

Sorry you couldn't make it. Hope everything is OK with the family!

The weekend was HUGE! Tons of cars, great racing, and perfect weather. Hope everyone who was there had a great time!

Matt

------------------
Matt Downing
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

rlekun
09-09-2003, 05:34 AM
Matt, Any update on the driver who was helicoptered out on Saturday? I understand it wasn't life threatening, but someone said the driver was in his eighties?!?!

Bill, Sorry you couldn't make it and hope your emergency wasn't too serious.

JDEllis
09-09-2003, 07:01 AM
Per Gary Barnhart (Safety Steward, I believe) on Sun...

Broken arm and some chest injuries, which I took as sore muscles, etc from hitting the steering wheel. Apparently the report of a broken leg turned out to be a dislocated hip, but nothing else broken.

I feel bad for him since that was to be his last race weekend. He was planning on selling the car and retiring afterwards. Still, a much better report than I expected to hear after the way things looked Saturday morning. I'd say he's very lucky to be that old (77), and hit that hard without being injured any worse than he was.

-jde

------------------
J.D. Ellis
OVR #71 ITS Olds Calais
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by JDEllis (edited September 09, 2003).]

ddewhurst
09-09-2003, 08:20 AM
***From the Production site***

***Bill (Campbell)sustained a shattered elbow and at least one shattered vertibra.***

Met Bill a few years ago at Road America & talked with him at IRP two years ago. One tough ol bird from the past. At IRP he started on pit road at the end of the race group & won his class race. Very experienced guy & hope recovery is speedy.

Anyone know where I can look up the results for IT & Spec Miata from Mid Ohio this past weekend?. Nothing on the OVR site.

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

JDEllis
09-09-2003, 06:03 PM
David:

Don't know besides checking the OVR site every so often.

John Herman won both days in ITS.

I think Jason Albright won IT7 on Sat, didn't watch the end of Sunday's race. Brooks won ITA both days I believe.

-jde

Eagle7
09-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by JDEllis:
John Herman won both days in ITS.

Way to go John!

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

trd77
09-10-2003, 12:23 AM
hi JD, I was watching this past weekend and you said the John H. won both days in ITS. I believe you drive a Olds, how is it that his Olds is 4 seconds quicker. what are your thoughts, it seems like his is a rocket down the straight compared to other top ITS cars.

JDEllis
09-10-2003, 07:26 AM
Maybe a few more ponies, but primarily suspension and tires. Our car still has whatever Delco slapped on for Firehawk in '88, and we run whatever tires we have. John has spent a lot of time and effort refining and developing his car, and we just go out and have fun.

I'd like to think I'm getting everything out of it. ;-)

-jde

------------------
J.D. Ellis
OVR #71 ITS Olds Calais
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by JDEllis (edited September 10, 2003).]