PDA

View Full Version : Kettle Moraine Regional

planet6racing
08-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Who else is going? I know Ben has talked about it (if his car is running) and I think it was Steve from the Elkhart Lake Racing and Sipping Society (or something like that).

We usually paddock in the area around Turn 2, if it's open. It's really quiet, very little traffic, and nice and flat. We even have our own set of Porta-Johns up there!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Greg Gauper
08-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Since this isn't a spectator weekend, there's less incentive to paddock back by turn 2. I agree that it is a nice place to hide for a big spectator event like the Sprints, but this is a much more low key event.

Hard to hear the PA works back there...

The normal paddock area has access to the nice bathroom with showers.

Will be there wearing worker whites instead of Nomex. Enjoy!

planet6racing
08-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Greg:

I agree totally about the PA system. It would be nice if they'd turn it on, but we run by the clock no matter what. Plus, the scanner helps to listen to the races and judge when mine will start.

I'll try and track you down sometime during the day. Do you have any idea which corner you'll be in?

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

Greg Gauper
08-08-2003, 10:43 AM
No, since I didn't send in a card.

But if you go to the stewards trailers (Behind St Johns Concession stand) before 9:00am, they should have the corner assignments posted.

**Edited because I forget this is a CHI Region event and they tend to run the corner meetings down at the tech building and NOT at the stewards trailer, in which case they'll be posted on the inside wall at tech??

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited August 08, 2003).]

IStock
08-08-2003, 01:07 PM
I should be there, 93 BMW 325, blue with green. Stop by and say hi.

Mike

R2 Racing
08-08-2003, 02:39 PM
We might be there but I'm not sure yet. My final project for my grad school (two weeks left!) is being assigned this Monday. If I can do it on a labtop, I'll be there. If I need the internet or a lab, I can't. Right now I'm thinking - look for two orange ITC Civic's!

------------------
Kevin
R2 Racing
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

benracin
08-08-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm hoping to be there! This was the race last year I didn't get to make due to a faulty roll cage so I think it owes me! I'll know for sure after this weekend.

ROCK ON!

benracin
08-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Hey, the site is working! And so is my car!!! I'll see yall there.

tschwenke
08-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Looks like 2 ITB Golfs will be there. So Greg where are the prime spots to park (can you bring your kids rake for us)? Since we are coming from long away what time does the track open? Is it like Mid Ohio (can't get in until registration) or like Grattan (can get in after signing waver, then go register after setup).

Thanks.

tschwenke
08-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Kevin,

BTW, thanks for letting me through nicely in the race on Saturday at MO. And subsequent nice follow me through after I had to create a hole through that other group of ITC cars. I tried to be nice but after being cut off twice (once in a straight line) I took the opportunity that they probally didn't like (inside in 10b).

My own fault for having a car that didn't want to start on grid. It made for an interesting race from the back though.

planet6racing
08-12-2003, 02:04 PM
I'll post a map later today of where we plan to camp. There is usually more than enough room up there but the PA system isn't typically turned on. We could have a giant IT group collection and plot our strategies against the evil production classes in our run group!! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

Greg Gauper
08-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Hmmmm - 2 wickedly fast VW's. I smell a track record if the track stays dry and you guys hook up in the draft.

My preference is up near the top since it's close to the results, tire guys & air, gas, bathrooms, etc.

The area near turn 2 is nice and quiet like Bill suggested but might be difficult to hear the PA. Another good spot is in the south paddock down at the bottom of the hill near the tree line (across from station #4). Nice thing is you can walk along the woods to get to turn 5, and there is a nice big hill for the kids to play with. They can rake up a storm if they want.

Since this isn't a spectator weekend, the track might be restricting where you can go to watch.

As far as getting in early, tough luck. You will be able to sign the track waiver to park your tow rig inside the gate, but you'll have to come right back out after parking and wait in line for registration to open up. Bring a chair! Schedule says 6:00pm CST. Tech is located at the RA center located inside between turns 5 and 6. Here in Area 5, If your car has passed its annual tech, and you have a 2003 sticker on your helmet, and you are not a waived group or don't have any notations for damage, all you need to bring is your logbook and helmet.

First time at RA? Your gonna love 7, the Carousel and the Kink. On that subject, everybody talks about the Kink but in a 'B' or a 'C' car, it's turn 1 that I find to be the scariest corner!

Here's a couple of tips:

Most of the curbs on corner exit are 'innies' not 'outies' so you can drive over them as you track out. They will loosen the car so be prepared, but like any front wheel drive car mash the gas and hang on. If it's wet stay off them since they are painted and get slick. Our softly sprung IT cars can take good advantage of this at turns 5, 6, and 8. If you let the car drift out 3 feet past the rumble strips, the track is actually smoother so you can ride it out and then merge back once the track straightenes out. If you watched last years World Challenge, you'll know what I'm talking about.

The turn in for 7 is a little bit earlier than it looks. It is really fast! Crank it in and hang on!

The Carousel is flat out and really fast. Find a line that allows you to take a set on the wheel and hold it with minimal steering input. As soon as you can see the exit, unwind the wheel. If you drop a wheel, DO NOT FORCE THE CAR BACK ON TRACK!!!! You will have a short weekend if you do. Ride it out, scrub off speed and the ease back on. Ditto for the Kink. You can put your inside wheels over the speed bumps at the apex of the Kink.

A 'B' or 'C' car can pick up some time at 13 if you turn in a little bit early and let the car drift over the access road after the Billy Mitchell bridge. This makes the hill at 13 a little bit less steep and sets you up perfectly for 14.

Get on the power for 14 as soon as possible to make it up that D$mn hill! Exit speed is way more important than late braking someone cuz it's a looooong uphill straight. Bring a copy of "War and Peace" or a crossword puzzle for the uphill climb.

Turn 3 is faster than it looks. It always feels like the transition from the hill to flat helps the car to rotate. Use it to you advantage for a good run out of 3 onto another long straight. FYI turn 3 is my favorite for some reason. It has a 'sweet spot' when you hit it just right that feels really good. Can't explain why.

Last tip, When you exit 1, look as far ahead on the horizon for the bleachers on the outside of 3. Look for light colored metal shed. Aim for it as soon as you can see it, before you come over the hill (you'll see it before you can see turn 3). If you aim for this shed, you'll be set up perfectly for the braking zone at 3. If you don't, you'll do like EVERBODY else does and follow the track as it doglegs, and drive 20-30ft longer. A good example of how not to do it is this months cover of Sports Car. The Vees do it because the draft is more important than the extra distance driven and if the leader in Vee does it everybody follows the leader. It's interesting cuz the long lens effect of the camera makes the short cut I describe really apparent. Look at a photo of the C^RT or T/A boys to see how to do it the right way.

If I don't see you in the morning, I see you at the dinner party!

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited August 12, 2003).]

tschwenke
08-13-2003, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info, I will have to read and watch a video at the same time to see what I can process before hitting the track. Sounds like I would rather wait there than in Chicago traffic (ie, get through Chicago early) so I will need some refreshments while I wait which I can not have while in traffic.

How is tech by the way? We have nothing in our logbooks, but we both want to put in our camera's so we need to go. Are they just looking for the red strap holding it in?

Thanks again.

planet6racing
08-13-2003, 08:39 AM
The tips by Greg are spot on. I've used the ones he posted in the Driving Technique forum of this board (oh, probably about a year ago now) many times at this track and I just keep getting faster!

Tech, like Greg said, is pretty easy. I don't know about the camera mount thing, but I'm in the same boat. Since our run group is so late, I'll probably just deal with that Saturday morning, but I will get my tech sticker Friday night (just stop on the way to your paddock spot so you don't have to walk back up the hill).

I'll post the map now showing where we'll be. Feel free to swing by!

http://www.planet6racing.com/ramap.pdf

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

ddewhurst
08-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Folks, a word to the safe side. I would like to presume that we all wear our safety belts all the time on the road. When I went through Chicago for the South Bend double Regional at Gingerman a few weeks back. During a.m. hours troopers were on foot at the pay stations picking out those driveras with no seat belts attached & pointing them to a long line on the side that other troopers were writing tickets for.

Have SAFE Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

R2 Racing
08-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Sorry guys, we will not be there this weekend. It turns out my final grad school project is going to own my ass for the next week. Pisses me off! No Road America this year.

Travis, no problem on Saturday. I'm not going to race hard with a front running ITB car. My hood pins weren't latched (luckily I saw it as we started rolling!) and I too had to start at the back. I just wanted to try and hook onto your bumper and move with you through the field. Welcome to running with ITC cars at Mid Ohio! So much for having a nice, clean, straight car. I still won though!

------------------
Kevin
R2 Racing
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

jake7140
08-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Sorry, I was I the garage doin car work rather than checkin the net, so I wasn't looking in particular for you guys.

I (orange srx7 #71) ended up parking next to Dave outside 5, but he left Saturday due to tranny trouble.

I lost 3,4,5 about the third lap of Sunday's race, parked it by the rescue truck betweeen 8&9.

Overall a great weekend though, despite my ham-fistedness. I wish I would have seen Greg's tips earlier, I was having trouble with 3 all weekend. But he's right, when you hit it right, it's one of those corners that just feels sweet.
I ended up duking with the pair 510s, a 210 and the Opels (ya know, the back of the pack) a lot of the weekend. A lot of good racing. At least I generally came out ahead of those guys.

Steve (the Elkhart Lake Racing and Sipping Society guy)

------------------
Steve
[email protected]
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
</A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
</A>

[This message has been edited by jake7140 (edited August 18, 2003).]

benracin
08-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Hey Steve, sorry about your trouble. I was the yellow/blue/orange ITA rx7 out there in your region of the pack and in a much worse part of the pack saturday. I thought I had some rear end trouble saturday so I just went slow in order to finish. Sunday I said hell with it and was able to get a 3:01:35 for only my second day there! Not bad seeing that I was lapped 3 times the day before.

But watch out folks. Now I and Bill (planet6) have signed off novice permits! Aren't those good for another 10 hp?

It was good seeing you also David and sorry about your luck as well. Maybe my car shed some of it's bad luck on you guys. I was tought that sharing was a good thing http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif .

I had a great time, great company and some great racing. Can't wait for the next time out. I may get used to this "finishing" thing!

Ben Harding
#33... doh! I mean #38 (this weekend atleast)

planet6racing
08-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Steve:

First, I apologize for cutting you off in turn 5 (at least I think I did). The car pushed more than I expected when I was trying to pass you on the inside. I tried looking for you in the paddock but never made it down that far.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the car. I saw you off at 8 with no apparent damage and hoped it wasn't anything serious.

All in all, I had a great weekend. I was having some brake issues, but I'm really starting to develop confidence in both the car and my driving. There were many great races out there and the corner workers did a great job (as usual!). I can't wait to do it again!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

jake7140
08-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Hi Bill,
Don't remember being cut off in 5. I do remember getting "pushed" wide a couple times, but often it's because my mirrors are too convex and cars are really farther away than I think. I was also having brake issues, but more importantly, the car was really slippery, displaying (uncharacteristic for this car) lots of oversteer. Was able to get it tamed fairly well by Sunday PM, but alas, I tried to hurry or just pulled sideways the 3-4 shift trying to stay ahead of the Datsuns.

There was a lot of close racing, closer than I usually do, but I got in there and had tons o' fun. And it was all good and clean as far as I'm concerned. Which car were you?

Great times for a novice Ben. I could only click off 3:04s. (tires are 3-4 years old, maybe an issue as I was able to do low 3:02s last year?)

------------------
Steve
[email protected]
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
</A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
</A>

planet6racing
08-18-2003, 04:55 PM
I was #92, the dark blue Saturn. I wasn't sure if I cut you off or it was just a really good move in the turn, but you seemed closer than I wanted you to be.

Ben did do a great job, especially considering how hard he worked on that car recently. I was just happy I finally crossed the 3:00 mark (2:59 in Sunday Qualifying) and can now build from there. Next target: 2:50!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

ddewhurst
08-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Ben, I also always thought that sharing is a good thing. Please don't share anymore of that not so good stuff in the future.

In reality no one to blame for 4th gear going on vacation except myself. At the last race I missed going from 3rd to 4th several times. I have 3 transmissions in reserve. I thought maybe I could learn a bit more by racing another weekend & see what the failure progression would be with the tranmission. About the second lap of qualifying above 5,500 the thing would spit it's self out of 4th. Below 5,500 it would stay in 4th gear fine.

Running the car the extra weekend & with the trans now throwing it's self out of 4th I would think when I take it apart I will find the offending pieces. Syncro & ??????????

What have I learned from this tranmission failure. When the thing acts up the 1st time. Fix it or replace it. I always been kind of slow.

Sounds like you folks had FUN. I would have enjoyed the racing.

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif