PDA

View Full Version : July Road Atlanta

Domino
06-22-2005, 08:32 PM
What are the facilities like? Do they have garages like Homestead or is it open like Sebring? Anything in particular I should know? I've never been to Road Atlanta. Just a lot of computer game driving and watching in-car videos. Thanks and hope to see everyone there.

Chris Wire
06-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Domino:
What are the facilities like? Do they have garages like Homestead or is it open like Sebring? Anything in particular I should know? I've never been to Road Atlanta. Just a lot of computer game driving and watching in-car videos. Thanks and hope to see everyone there.

The facilities are very nice, not quite Daytona but better than Sebring. No garages but lots of tarmac.

Computer games don't do it justice. The track is fast, very fast.

T1 - banked slightly, a nice job there gets you a good run up the hill.
T3 - run over the curb, and then run over it some more.
T4 - run the car out to mid track before the downhill run, it keeps the car free.
ESSES - hitting the curbs here can upset the car. Some guys do, some don't.
T5 - watch the curb on the inside, it's high. Use ALL of the track on exit.
T7 - MOST important corner on the track, off camber on exit, if you overcook it you will kill your run down the backstretch.
T10a-10b - curbing is flat, use it all.
T12 - should be flat in your car, don't turn in too soon - bad consequences.

Above all enjoy - it's a first rate facility. Another of the tracks that tend to spoil all of us here in SEDiv.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

wpspeedracer
06-24-2005, 06:49 AM
So who's in for doing all three races: SARRC-ECR-ProIT?
That would make for a full weekend!
Mark

------------------
Mark Nasrallah
944 S
#54 ITS

charrbq
06-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Wish I could do all three, but ignorance tells me that my ITC car isn't included in the Pro series. I will make the other two, though. My first time on the track, after having watched/crewed since '82 was last year in a friend's new ITA car during the ARRC enduro. I let my ego overload my better judgement and became a rolling chicane. Fortunately for the field, it ended when I missed a downshift at five. Minor damage to the car, major damage to the driver's self esteem.
That said, it's one of the most challenging and fun tracks I've ever driven. I'll just have to stay with my C car. It goes just fast enough for my thought process and old body to keep up.
Now, if I could just get the mental image of me sliding down the hill, sideways after the bridge on that one lap I'll be okay.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

jmark
06-28-2005, 08:14 AM
How many Z racers plan on being there?

Catch22
06-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey Chris,
Bring that old cajun with you for the Enduro.

I know you are surrounded by old cajuns, but it should be pretty easy to figure out which one I'm talking about http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif.

PS - You are correct. For some reason ITC is not included in the pro series.

zracre
06-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Im signed up for the SARRC and the pro IT...this will be my first one and i need the practice there...i will probably try to be more conservative in the pro IT...i want to finish good in SARRC points and I know how road atlanta can be...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

Chris Taylor
06-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Does anybody have extra crew space for the event? An old highschool buddy of mine is doing summer research at Emory, and he and two friends are interested in going (he and some other highschool buddies came and watched when I came to last July's SARRC).

I don't know how much use they'd be, but I told him I'd see if anybody had any space.

SPiFF
07-01-2005, 04:42 PM
I think a $15 entry fee for "spectators" will be in effect for the weekend.

------------------
Zsolt - #9 ITS GSR (SEDIV)

charrbq
07-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Evan...you drive conservative? Well, I guess I have seen you back off, but conservative? I'll have to see that.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

timrogers
07-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Chris Wire:
The facilities are very nice, not quite Daytona but better than Sebring. No garages but lots of tarmac.

Road Atlanta does have garages, located at the top of the hill, behind the Paddock Grill. Not too many people use them however, maybe because they get hot in the sun & have little ventilation.

------------------
Tim Rogers
-ITA NX2000 slowly in the works...
Sugar Hill, GA

krshultz
07-11-2005, 10:27 AM
The others are right - video games, or even TV coverage, can't do the place justice. I ran my first race there this year and when I got there and saw T12 and T1 my jaw dropped. The speeds there are impossibly fast.

It can get crowded - from what I understand, this is a pretty popular weekend as many use it as prep for the ARRC. Even crowded, the facilities are very good.

I'll be codriving Catch22's ITC #22 in the ECR. Come say hi.

madrabbit15
07-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Did anyone see the new schdule? They have ITB and ITC running with the formula cars. I am glad I will not be in a formula car. Thats a little scary. Not to mention that the ITB and ITC group is gonna go off the track and then right back on for practice and qualifying. Seems a little rough.

madrabbit15
07-11-2005, 02:05 PM
sorry I was reading the schedule off the registration page and the texted rapped and made it look different. My bad!

charrbq
07-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Okay, now I'm confused. I'm new to the SEDIV racing groups. Just how does the schedule read? I see the same as others, practice and qualifying with the wings and things and then piggy back another session for a different group. Is that it, or do we p/q with the small bore race cars?

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

charrbq
07-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Sorry Scott, he's had to trim back a bunch of racing due to family and building another race car (can you say screamer ITE?). He'll be at the Daytona SARRC with me, but in his own car. It'll just be me for the weekend. So I'll keep my eyes in the mirror for you to lap me. Be gentle, I have a delicate racer's ego. Sorry, I can't bring our Cajun cook, either. He only makes it to the ARRC. Sort of like Lance Armstrong...he peaks once a year when it's most important. The rest of the time is just practice.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

Domino
07-12-2005, 05:52 PM
This will be my first offical race (ECR and SARRC)and I can't think of a better track to earn my "wings". I know what everyone is thinking...a novice on a track like Road Atlanta, yikes...don't worry I'm an intelligent driver ; )

...now if this tropical storm could just go away....

bhudson
07-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Regarding the schedule - our webmaster discovered the problem with the race groupings that make it appear that ITB/ITC are with formula cars. Obviously that's not correct - it's a text error in the format conversion. He's working to get it corrected. ITB/ITC are with Production cars.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region Board of Directors

jmark
07-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Just curious how many Z cars are planning to run RA?

SPiFF
07-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Entry list here.

http://www.fingroup.com/Atl1Reg/registrationEntry.htm

Looks like a big weekend!

------------------
Zsolt - #9 ITS GSR (SEDIV)

DavidM
07-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Damn! 65 cars in ProIT. I might have to think on that one. Not sure I'm ready to be in the middle of such a big group. Could be fun though.

David

zracre
07-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Holy @#$%^&*!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like Anthony is bringing some friends for ITA....There is way more ITA cars listed than the ARRC!! I will be there for test day and will save a spot next to me (same as last year) for you Chris...It looks like there will be alot of us there...lets try to get together for some beers after the carnage er race!!!!

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

Hracer
07-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by DavidM:
Damn! 65 cars in ProIT.

Can't wait! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

------------------
Alex
#84 ITA

Anubis
07-18-2005, 05:26 PM
65 cars? Is that all..... well darn, was hopin for 80 http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C

RIP Dimebag- August 20, 1966 to December 8th, 2004.

charrbq
07-19-2005, 11:08 AM
I suppose my finishing position in the "For Sale" adds can at least list this one as a "Top Ten"...so far. I'll have to keep my eyes and mirrors wide open during the ECR. No matter how well I might qualify, with all those ITS and ITA cars in front, I'll still be way back there. It'll be fun!

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

DavidM
07-19-2005, 01:20 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Holy @#$%^&*!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like Anthony is bringing some friends for ITA....There is way more ITA cars listed than the ARRC!!</font>

I'll be bringing Bob's 240SX from last year's ARRC, but I sure as hell ain't anywhere near Bob in driving. Hopefully somebody else can give Anthony a run for his money. I'll be happy if I'm not last. See ya there.

David
ITA 240SX #17

dpmurray
07-26-2005, 05:35 AM
I was out as a photographer for Sunday's races. Really close competition all day - ECR came down to less than 1 second margin of victory that was decided coming down the hill turn 12 and at the line.

I've put up photo galleries from all of Sunday's races:
http://www.blarneyspeedimaging.com/scca0705/

zracre
07-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Great weekend!! Had a blast even in the heat. I hope my transmission is fixed for Daytona coming up...I hope everyone had a great time as well!!
Cheers,

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

Hracer
07-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Hey Evan, were you driving the white integra? If so, you looked good out there and fast too even on your first time to the track. What happened to your tranny? Good luck this year.

------------------
Alex
#84 ITA

Domino
07-29-2005, 12:00 PM
You did really well Evan. This was my first time to the track also...in fact this was my first race ever. One more race to rid the novice permit. I think I did well considering the aforementioned and my 200k motor. The car handled amazingly, just a touch of oversteer. I went up to Tom F. after the ECR and told him I needed his motor bad!! I was getting killed in the straights.

zracre
07-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Hey, It was my second time there in years...I had the car there for the ARRC last year...still basically a street car. I lost 3rd gear (pops out on downshifts and groans angrily when forced) during the pro IT then lost 4th during the SARRC...kinda scary going off line coming down the hill and lift for a correction (paying too much attention to failing transmission and looking to see if I was going to be run over for mistake in previous corner) and have the stupid thing pop out of gear...revving madly all crossed up trying to jam it back into 4th...I learned how to drive RA with one hand for all 3rd and 4th gear situations (the whole thing)!! It was an interesting weekend to say the least...Tom has my gearbox and car so I can be sure it will be ready for Daytona...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

Domino
07-30-2005, 06:36 PM
I had a similar problem in my car. After coming over the crest into 12 I couldn't get it into 4th. Didn't have any problem anywhere else except there. I had to short-shift into 4th at the top before any load was put onto the left front.

zracre
08-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Check your motor mounts...I had a broken front engine mount contributing to my difficulties...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra