PDA

View Full Version : Roebling races this weekend

DavidM
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Who's going to be at Roebling this weekend (besides Chuck)? I'll be there Friday through Sunday. Look for the black number 17 240sx with "Whee" in big green letters (You'll get it if you've ever seen one of Bob Stretch's cars on know the name of his company http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif ).

Anybody got any quick tips for driving the track. This'll be my first time there. I'm going to get the video from Spec Miata Videos and study it, but figured I'd ask if anybody had any tips. Especially in the rain as it looks like we might get wet.

See you there.

David

JeffYoung
07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately, no British IT cars at Roebling -- TR8 is still a weekend away and the Jensen probably 2. So, CMP it is.

Roebling....you can go a lot further into turn 1 than you initially think. In most IT cars, you need to be flat out from the exit of 2 all the way to 4. 4 is tricky and off camber. Do not go wide, there is no grip there.

5 is tricky and off camber. Several different workable lines through there; you have to find what your car likes best.

You don't really brake much at all for the carousel. Just a lift, maybe a downshit depending on car and then flat out all the way around 7, 8 and 9 (squeeze sphincter there in an IT car, SM, just relax and enjoy the ride) and then back down the front straight.

Roebling is easy to learn, difficult to master. High speed track, but a driver's track. Interesting place. Wish I was going to be there.

JeffYoung
07-06-2005, 11:34 AM
A downshit..I was going to fix that, but decided I liked it.

chuck baader
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Just thought ya'll might want to know the group breakdown (not official but fairly up to date as of last night). You will have to look at the entry for classes in groups:

Group 1.....26

Group 2.....24

Group 3.....16

Group 4.....17

Group 5.....39

Group 6.....17

Group 7.....25

Good number of entries with relative small rungroups. See everyone there Friday at lunch. Chuck

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

DavidM
07-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Somebody help me with the corner numbering. I come up with 8 "corners" if I count the radii marked on the track map at Roebling's web site.

I'm curious to see how the last corner compares to turn 12 at Road Atlanta. I've only been on Road Atlanta up to this point and it's pretty fast.

Thanks for the info.

David

JeffYoung
07-06-2005, 03:29 PM
I think there is some issue as to whether the bend after teh carousel (6) is a corner or not. Everything after the carousel is a non event really, till you get to the front straight.

It's a bit scary but not like turn 12 to me. Turn 12 you are staring at concrete going down a hill. Turn 8/9 at Roebling, you screw up if you push out into the grass and try to jerk the car back onto the track. You'll head straight for the inner wall.

If you get in trouble in that corner, just ride the car out to the left into the grass. Lots of room there.

Tom Donnelly
07-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Nine can do some real damage if you slip off track and try to slip back on. You'll find yourself heading back onto the track backwards, cross the track if you miss traffic and smack your a$% right onto the wall. That is if you haven't already flipped over in some of the potholes in the grass/sand on the left. DO NOT try to force the car back on the track, ride it out just like Jeff said. If you don't and you end up hitting the wall, you'll find yourself pointing the wrong way stopped right where some of the fast cars come barreling down the long straight.

Tom

tom_sprecher
07-07-2005, 09:04 AM
I'd like to go to meet some of you guys and have a cocktail or two but the CFC is not completely repaired from the 6 car pile up at the start of the Formula race at CMP Memorial Day weekend. It was the one with the front left wheel torn off. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/frown.gif

You guys have fun and play nice. See ya at RA in 2 weeks.

------------------
Tom Sprecher
Team SuperTech