PDA

View Full Version : Rockingham NASA event

chumpy36
05-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Everyone,

Remember that we have a great deal happening for the rest of the SE NASA schedule. If you already have a competition license you can get a NASA membership and a NASA comp license for free!

Details here:
http://www.nasa-southeast.com/freelicenseflyer.pdf

Come on out and try it out!

Rockingham looks to be fun in that we are gonna have two sprint races and a 90 minute enduro. That is ALOT of track time. So 6 sessions for the sprint races (prac qual and race x2) and then prac and qual and enduro. That's 9 sessions in the weekend. Roughly 4 hours of track time if my calculations are close.

So come on out we'd love to have ya!
You can sign up on the NASA SE website:

www.nasa-southeast.com (http://www.nasa-southeast.com)

Jason

Parrish57
06-16-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm so glad to see The Rock back on the road racing schedule!
Two questions:
1. I run a Datsun 240z in SCCA ITS competition. Is there a class in NASA for my car?
2. The Carolina Cup Pro Series has a non-points race in conjunction with NASA at Roebling Road in July. Has there been any talk of adding a CCPS race to the Rockingham NASA weekend?

Thanks,
Steve Parrish
Silver Datsun 57

Ron Earp
06-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Steve, it looks cool and it is nice to have someone using Rockingham - I am interested for the future. I wish the SCCA would use it, but last I heard they deemed it not in good enough shape. Fortunately, NASA looks at it differently.

I went to the NASA website but am confused on classes - looks like they have classes for EVERYTHING. 944s are in a class, Hondas are in a class, hell, there is probably a Old British Car Class. Problem I see with this is that so many classes mean that you might be one of five people competiting for a win (for us IT folk), seems sort of weak. There might be a class for "Z Cars Painted Silver", at which point you can whup up on the 260z for the class crown!

This isn't one of those "everybody is a winner" sort of ideals that they keep trying to teach my 4 year old? If you don't make the team, tough, better luck next season is the way I look at it and think.

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited June 16, 2005).]

chuck baader
06-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Most of the "S" cars run in PS2 (pro sedan 2). check the NASA web site for the allowable power to weight ratio...that is how they are classified. Chuck

Parrish57
06-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Ron... Would that be "Z cars painted silver" class crown or class clown? http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif I was equally confused by the classifications. After some more reading it looks like the enduro class would be E1.

Chuck... Thanks, I didn't see the part of the rules about PS2. What other cars/prep levels are in PS2?

I'm not really looking to defect from SCCA, I just want to race The Rock. They stopped racing there the same year that I started SCCA.

chuck baader
06-16-2005, 02:07 PM
OOPS!!! ITS runs PS1, ITA runs PS2, ITB runs PS3, etc. These classes, by rule, are made for SCCA IT cars. Check the "resources", other resources links on the nasa racing page. I don't defect either as I will be running more SCCA than any other group this year. I run for convenience and lack of necessity to travel over 6 hours.

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

Ron Earp
06-16-2005, 03:55 PM
I hear this defection thing is serious, that is, I'm told the SCCA people will kick you off the track of you have a NASA sticker.

NASA, on the other hand, does not do that. The SCCA needs to lighten up a bit. If you are convinced you've got the best game in town then you don't need silly tactics like that to discourage defection.

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

chumpy36
06-16-2005, 04:20 PM
There is one more NASA race at the rock this year. I rather enjoyed the place last weekend. It does have it's challenges. The facilities are nice. I didn't love the infield but it was pretty good all around.

As for defection, I race both SCCA and NASA. I like having the ability to choose either one depending on schedule etc.

I have been hassled pretty badly about NASA stickers at SCCA events. I've also gotten some open resentment from SCCA officials when they've learned I was affiliated with NASA in any way.

It's really disapointing. For what it's worth, they are two different organizations. They fulfiill different needs right now. I can say that I generally have more fun at NASA events because it's more laid back and less tension filled. However, the car counts aren't quite there yet in the SE. We're working on that and have made big strides recently.

Come on out and give it a try. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason Holland
NASA SE Spec Miata Regional Director

[This message has been edited by chumpy36 (edited June 16, 2005).]

pgipson
06-16-2005, 10:02 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I'm told the SCCA people will kick you off the track of you have a NASA sticker </font>

The GCR does state that other than SCCA stickers are not allowed. And this rule predates NASA since I was told it was included in the early '70's and was aimed at IMSA. I know it was in effect in 1985 when I joined SCCA.

That being said, the only time I have seen that enforced is at National events. I'm sure that tech and stewards approach it differently in different parts of the country.

------------------
Spec RX7 #11
Scottsdale AZ

murphyd
06-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Steve, You guys should try to run the CCPS at Roebling with NASA. It is not an SCCA event. Therefore you will need a NASA membership and license to compete. Besides that it will be run just like a regular CCPS event. It will be a double race weekend so it will be worth the tow. Also 100% payout! There is a lot of class crossover between NASA and SCCA so we hope to have a good number of entries. I'm trying to talk Bill into running that weekend just to knock the rust off of the car. I'll be spending my money at Disneyworld this coming week!!! Hope to see you there.

------------------
David Murphy
Murphy Motorsports
ITS 240sx
Carolina Cup Pro Series
www.murphymotorsports.net

chumpy36
06-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by murphyd:
Steve, You guys should try to run the CCPS at Roebling with NASA. It is not an SCCA event. Therefore you will need a NASA membership and license to compete. Besides that it will be run just like a regular CCPS event. It will be a double race weekend so it will be worth the tow. Also 100% payout! There is a lot of class crossover between NASA and SCCA so we hope to have a good number of entries. I'm trying to talk Bill into running that weekend just to knock the rust off of the car. I'll be spending my money at Disneyworld this coming week!!! Hope to see you there.

Definitely come on out. A NASA license will be necessary but check out the deal above. You can get it and a membership for free.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help out.

JAson Holland
NASA SE SM director