PDA

View Full Version : Road Atlanta Pro IT

wpspeedracer
05-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Having never been to it, what is the Pro IT race @ Road Atlanta in June? I notice on the entry form that ITS is in group 6 and there is a 6A race on Saturday and a 6B race on Sunday. Is ITS split into two seperate groups or is this just two races- one saturday and one Sunday? And.....is a ProIT open to us little guys???
These may be dumb ?'s but I'd rather ask than enter and not know.

thanks

Mark
#54 ITS

------------------
Mark Nasrallah
TAZ
944 S
#54 ITS

bhudson
05-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Here's the link to the Pro-IT rules. The A/B designation is because the June event is two races.

http://www.atl-scca.org/Documents%20Word/2...PRO-ITRules.doc (http://www.atl-scca.org/Documents%20Word/2005/2005AtlantaRegionPRO-ITRules.doc)

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region

RacerBowie
05-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Pro IT is a blast, you should definitely come play! 20 lap races, good competition, and a great group of folks!

See you there.

Bowie
ITA Miata

wpspeedracer
05-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I think I'll be there....
I recently was at RA for the PCA Club race...first time...loved the track. Now I can shed about 100 lbs. ( PCA weight ) and go have some fun

thanks again

mark

------------------
Mark Nasrallah
TAZ
944 S
#54 ITS

jmark
06-01-2005, 06:39 AM
How many 240Z's are entered?

jmark
06-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Any results yet?

wpspeedracer
06-06-2005, 09:47 AM
That was a learning experience....
The choice to either go to Sebring ( rain ) or Atlanta was a good one...great weather all weekend. 45 cars....and do they Scrut!!! I wonder how many would pass at a regular IT race..They did a full impound on suspension after qualifying....
Anyway...BMW's ruled as always...1:40.5 to 141.9 There's just no chance with those guys. John Williams in his 260 Z was the only one giving them any competition. 1:43.23 Then everyone else fell in the high 1:44's and up. My best was a 146.5 on Sunday morning....
9th ovearll - 4th p.i.c. on Saturday
9th overall - 6th p.i.c. on Sunday. All in all - a great weekend

My apologies again to Brian #6 on Sunday....we learned about each others racing styles and we both have a little body work ahead of us.

MN #54

[This message has been edited by wpspeedracer (edited June 06, 2005).]

jmark
06-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Seems the Bimmers need a bit of weight added.

RacerBowie
06-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Of note would be John finishing second overall in his backup car Sunday, after getting collected in my wreck Saturday through no fault of his own.

I did appreciate his feedback, assuring me that I left racing room to the IT7 car that hit me, and then wasn't man enough to come see if I was ok afterward. Real winner there in the IT7...

crushed
06-06-2005, 11:42 AM
what IT-7 car took you out?

------------------
Russ Marshall
#31 IT-7

RacerBowie
06-06-2005, 11:47 AM
I was passing the Black #0 car, and I really feel that I gave him room. I knew better than to go hunting anyone down right after the wreck when I was still amped up, and he was not at the track on Sunday.

It felt to me that I was "punted" by a lapped car who was not racing for position. That made me pretty angry, especially since it ended up causing THOUSANDS of dollars in damage to both my car and John's car.

I wish there was some video so I can know for sure that I left room, but both John and the workers, as well as my gut feeling as a racer who strives to be safe have told me there was room.

Until this race I had not had ANY car-to-car contact other than bumpdrafting for at least 3-4 years. Maybe I didn't leave him room, it happened very quickly, but I really think I did.

wpspeedracer
06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by crushed:
what IT-7 car took you out?

Turn 6 1st lap, Brian Dobson ITA #6 was inside of me and came into my door, I may have turned in to tight, he may have been too wide, I was just following the two Honda's in front of me, so as we came down the front straight going into Turn 1 full speed, I took the apex and he had come inside of me again...he hit my rear quarter panel, and,to his credit, he let his car go into a spin instead of punting me into the wall which I thanked him for later... had we raced toghether before and knowing that I take turn 1 all out, he admits that he could have dropped in behind me and passed later....all in all...hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sorry we made contact..

crushed
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
That sucks Bowie, I didn't recognize that guys car, not sure where he came from.

wpspeedracer, I was right behind you two when it happened. I saw Dobson dive in and I checked up as soon as he did...

------------------
Russ Marshall
#31 IT-7

wpspeedracer
06-06-2005, 01:39 PM
That sucks Bowie, I didn't recognize that guys car, not sure where he came from.

wpspeedracer, I was right behind you two when it happened. I saw Dobson dive in and I checked up as soon as he did...

Dobson claims it was his corner. Honestly, I never saw him which tells me he was there and I didn't look ( my bad ), or it was still my corner and he was diving in....what's your opinion, my mistake or his?

kthomas
06-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by jmark:
Seems the Bimmers need a bit of weight added.

When the Z's that show up start running 1:41 flats and better then we can talk about adding weight to the Bimmers, 'cause that's where your winning ITS E36 driver was running his 240Z before he sold it. Ditto the SpeedSource RX-7's.

------------------
katman

[This message has been edited by kthomas (edited June 06, 2005).]

chumpy36
06-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by RacerBowie:
I was passing the Black #0 car, and I really feel that I gave him room. I knew better than to go hunting anyone down right after the wreck when I was still amped up, and he was not at the track on Sunday.

It felt to me that I was "punted" by a lapped car who was not racing for position. That made me pretty angry, especially since it ended up causing THOUSANDS of dollars in damage to both my car and John's car.

I wish there was some video so I can know for sure that I left room, but both John and the workers, as well as my gut feeling as a racer who strives to be safe have told me there was room.

Until this race I had not had ANY car-to-car contact other than bumpdrafting for at least 3-4 years. Maybe I didn't leave him room, it happened very quickly, but I really think I did.

Well this is the same car that was trying to get me to pass him under the double yellow on sat. Then when the restart came, turned in on me at Turn 1.

sorry to hear about the nonsense...

Jason

crushed
06-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by wpspeedracer:
Dobson claims it was his corner. Honestly, I never saw him which tells me he was there and I didn't look ( my bad ), or it was still my corner and he was diving in....what's your opinion, my mistake or his?
[/B]

It's hard to say, It was a pretty aggressive move by Dobson but he probably did have the line. He definately took the risk, that's racing I guess. I'll probably post the video tonight, it was pretty cool...

------------------
Russ Marshall
#31 IT-7

wpspeedracer
06-07-2005, 08:16 AM
It's hard to say, It was a pretty aggressive move by Dobson but he probably did have the line. He definately took the risk, that's racing I guess. I'll probably post the video tonight, it was pretty cool...

Let me know when and where you post the video...I'm always one to correct an error on the track.....searching e-bay as I write to replace my right door.....no fun but that's racing!

gsbaker
06-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Ouch.

It's a large file (610KB), so please right click, save as, yada, yada:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Users/RACrunch.JPG

Too bad, Bowie. That is/was a good looking car.

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

Andy Bettencourt
06-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by kthomas:
When the Z's that show up start running 1:41 flats and better then we can talk about adding weight to the Bimmers, 'cause that's where your winning ITS E36 driver was running his 240Z before he sold it. Ditto the SpeedSource RX-7's.

Katman is right. The Z's and the RX-7's are capable of 1:41 flats. The 04 car has a stretch goal of 1:40.999 this year.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

oanglade
06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Road Atlanta lap times tend to be very different in June and July vs. November...

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Roswell, GA

Carlos Gutierrez
06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by oanglade:
Road Atlanta lap times tend to be very different in June and July vs. November...

Of about 1.5 +/- sec per lap...so, a 1:42:5 in June is equivelent to a low 1:41 in November. A low 41 in June is a 40 flat/high 39 in November where all the front runners are gonna be.
Andy: the word "stretch" in your goal has a unintended conotation http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif
P.S.
Now that the driver of the fastest ITS Mazda in the country works over at the Georgia Peach farm, that orange Rx7 is gonna be at a 40 flat at Rd Atl http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

crushed
06-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Here is the video of Dobson into 1, looks like you left him room he just overcooked it...

http://russmarshall.com/albums/video/dobsondives.wmv

------------------
Russ Marshall
#31 IT-7

Chris Wire
06-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Here is the video of Dobson into 1, looks like you left him room he just overcooked it...

I'm willing to second that assessment. Looks like there was still room to the apex for the RX7 to get down and through the corner. I'd say proper "racing room" was given.

However, it must be said that the responsibility lies with the overtaking driver, and if this video were to come before the SOMs, I would have to believe the IT7 guy would be licking his wounds.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

wpspeedracer
06-08-2005, 05:45 AM

http://russmarshall.com/albums/video/dobsondives.wmv
Thanks for the video....I also noticed, as I originally told Brian afterwards, that he hit me in the rear quarter of my car still behind me, and in fact there was more than a car + room that I had left him in the corner....It's still good to know so I can be more aware the next time

mark

[This message has been edited by wpspeedracer (edited June 08, 2005).]

944racer
06-08-2005, 07:13 AM
There is enough room at the apex to drive my big Ford pickup truck through. It appears the RX7 lost grip on the front tires and started to slide towards the 944. Probably going slightly too fast to make the corner trying to get at the Porsche, so he could retaliate for an earlier incident at a previous corner.
Andy

dobson6
06-08-2005, 07:37 PM
To address your response regarding retaliation from a previous lap, what happened there was strictly someone going off track and coming back onto the track and sliding into me. For that incident, no retaliation was even considered, just a racing incident. Just wanted it to be known.

------------------
Brian Dobson
#6 IT-7
Mazda RX-7

[This message has been edited by dobson6 (edited June 08, 2005).]

dobson6
06-08-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure what portion of your rear was hit, but from the damage on my drivers door and the damage on your right side door, it appears that I was more that just behind you, don't you agree?? From looking at the video, your breaking pattern is longer than most cars we race with in that class and my "diving" in on that corner was because I wasn't sure how much longer you would be breaking since our breaking time is different than yours. I was turning in to avoid losing my momentum to make the run up the hill and if by following your line and breaking with you I would have lost that momentum. In addition you appear to be apexing the corner later which has you coming in on me since I was driving up beside you. As it shows, I braked to avoid spinning out both cars at the cost of my sitting out 18 laps.

------------------
Brian Dobson
#6 IT-7
Mazda RX-7

wpspeedracer
06-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by dobson6:
I'm not sure what portion of your rear was hit, but from the damage on my drivers door and the damage on your right side door, it appears that I was more that just behind you, don't you agree?? From looking at the video, your breaking pattern is longer than most cars we race with in that class and my "diving" in on that corner was because I wasn't sure how much longer you would be breaking since our breaking time is different than yours. I was turning in to avoid losing my momentum to make the run up the hill and if by following your line and breaking with you I would have lost that momentum. In addition you appear to be apexing the corner later which has you coming in on me since I was driving up beside you. As it shows, I braked to avoid spinning out both cars at the cost of my sitting out 18 laps.

Brain
First, I never left the track and re-entered back on turn 6...I was in line with all the other cars on the first lap and was following them thru turn 6..
Secondly, as we all know...."racing" is and should be subconcious responses and maybe my braking,which resulted in my wide apex was in fact my awareness of you on my inside right rear and braking allowed me to feather off enough speed to go wide and give you 'racing room'. That's what I would hope my reaction would be in that situation. My requests in this forum has not be in judging you, but in fact asking others on the track to respond to the incident to determine if I made a mistake so I can correct my error(s) so that doesn't happen again.One would hope that you would also like to know. We all want to be competitive while at the same time courteous so as not to endanger our lives or the thousands of dollars of equipment that we all labor over that allows us to enjoy this sport. I look forward to racing again at Road Atlanta with you and all the other drivers I met this last weekend. All in all it was a great weekend, both racing and the weather....

Mark

[This message has been edited by wpspeedracer (edited June 09, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by wpspeedracer (edited June 09, 2005).]