PDA

View Full Version : Daytona ECR

Mazmarc63
05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
What a great time this past weekend. I had the chance to drive a fresh car and, despite some problems, managed to finish 9th. Thanks Meno.

Congrats to Mike Flynn on the win. You have proven that the BMW's and the Mazdas aren't the only weapon of choice in ITS. I aplaud you for building a car that actually has no specs in the GCR.:> ))

Rob, Kevin, Buzz....great show.

Taylor, I have video of your "off" in the chicane. Unreal. What a save and a great finish.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hello and see the new graphics on the 00 and the 66.

Marc Dana
co-driver #00 ITS Rx-7

Mike Guenther
05-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Marc, it was good to see you, Memo, Jim and everyone else. I was trying my darnest to catch up to you guys, (yuk, yuk). About 30 minutes in I left my new air splitter over the hole on the exit of the chicane. Several people took advantage of the smoother exit just left of the pavement. Then two laps after my pit stop I had a right rear tire blow out just before the chicane. Made it back to the pits and got another tire mounted in a NASCAR record time of almost 5 minutes. Had a ball and I'm glad I didn't wreck. Look forward to doing that again minus the splitter and tire expense.

bodyshop
05-10-2005, 07:58 AM
My early GCR's just say call Irish Mike's World Class for compression and transmission ratios... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

congrats

TheEnforcer
05-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Why do those of us in the IT community see it fit to whine and moan when beaten by a car-drver combination that we don't understand and-or dislike.Comments such as"I applaud you for building a car that has no specs...",are moot.How about mentioning the driving clinic that Buzz put on until being punted by a backmarker in one too close to the end to recover from,or thje World-class pass on the outside,again in one, by Mike that awarded him the lead.Remember,nobody dominated this race;it was as close as a five lap sprint: That is what we should applaud.

its66
05-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Hhhmm..I didn't think that "Congrats to Mike Flynn on the win.<<del>>Rob, Kevin, Buzz....great show. Taylor, I have video of your "off" in the chicane. Unreal. What a save and a great finish" sounded like "whining and moaning". The "I aplaud you for building a car that actually has no specs in the GCR.:> ))" part appears to be tongue in cheek (note the smiley).

I doubt anyone can truly criticize the top 5 drivers/cars in this race. Outstanding job by all. Maybe next year I'll have a little better view of the battle.

Jim
ITS66

BTW..who is that masked man with the hidden identity????

zracre
05-10-2005, 11:12 PM
was a great race...the 325e that won ita i had nothing for...i will definitely put some money in my car before august!! and fix the cv that broke on the last lap while i was running 2nd...grrrrrrrr

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

Catch22
05-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Does anyone know where we can find the IT track records for Daytona? We were told that we might have been under the ITC record, but I haven't been able to find an offical listing anywhere.

I know you don't get records for ECRs, but it'd still be nice to know.

Thanks

------------------
#22 ITC Honda Civic
3rd Place 2004 ARRC
1st Place 2004 ARRC Enduro
www.motorpride.com/Catch22 (http://www.motorpride.com/Catch22)

Mazmarc63
05-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer:
Why do those of us in the IT community see it fit to whine and moan when beaten by a car-drver combination that we don't understand and-or dislike.Comments such as"I applaud you for building a car that has no specs...",are moot.How about mentioning the driving clinic that Buzz put on until being punted by a backmarker in one too close to the end to recover from,or thje World-class pass on the outside,again in one, by Mike that awarded him the lead.Remember,nobody dominated this race;it was as close as a five lap sprint: That is what we should applaud.

Wow, this made me laugh out loud. Mr. Enforcer, I suspect to anyone that was there and knows me, Marc Dana, AKA Hollywood and the rest of the fine individuals I mentioned in my post and read this, are also laughing......at you.

Reading my statements through your guilt tinted glasses and then not signing your post with your real name simply show how ignorant you truly are to the tight knit group that runs this series.

Mike Flynn is a friend of mine. So is Buzz. I respect them and I am confident they respect me.

I stand by my earlier statement. I applaud Mike for building a car for the class that has no specs in the GCR. Hear that??? That is the sound of me clapping. I also clap for Syl and Dave and Mike and Rob and Taylor and Grafton and Jeff and Kent and, and, and. And all the individuals that build and drive these cars beyond what we have previously thought possible.

For what its worth, I went 1.6 sec faster than I have ever been around Daytona before in a car that had never turned a wheel on a race track. Rob has now set a new track record for everyone to shoot at, eclipsing even the once thought untouchable previous record set by Syl. We both accomplished this in Mazdas!

I'm not whining, just incredibly impressed at the talent and the cars at the top of that field.

I feel better now.

Marc Dana
'95 ECR ITS Champion
11 years racing a Mazda Rx-7 in ITS

Super Swift
05-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Marc
He must be the 944 with the hood scoop. (just kidding mr. enforcer man)

Kudos to all!

Ben Robertson

its66
05-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Maybe we should applaud Rob for doing this...

4 4 2:15.954 - 0.612 Best lap 93.738 ...

Or, we could file a protest that the driver was underweight, creating an unfair advantage. Either way, congrats to Rob for a new ITS record.

Superswift,
I didn't notice the hood scoop, i was too busy staring at those beautiful 8 inch wide wheels and the slotted rotors. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Jim

Rob May
05-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Geez, why does everyone have to pick on the skinny guy? That was with a full fuel load too. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif It was a great time as alway's at Daytona. Even security was better to deal with. Ok, maybe not!!

p.keane
05-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Catch 22, I do not know were CFR keeps the records, but Deuce was quicker in the 5/5/02 ECR. I do not know who has the record. PK

Bruce Shafer
05-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by its66:
Or, we could file a protest that the driver was underweight, creating an unfair advantage.

Jim

I don't know if weight is his advantage. Every time I see Rob he looks about a year younger than the last time I saw him...

Sounds like Daytona was a great time. I'll be there when I am confident the car will run longer than 5 minutes at race speed. Don't know when that will be, however. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/confused.gif

its66
05-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Bruce,
I've noticed the same thing. My wife says it is just that I am getting older though. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

How about Sebring next month? Will it be ready by then?

Jim

Chris Wire
05-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by p.keane:
Catch 22, I do not know were CFR keeps the records, but Deuce was quicker in the 5/5/02 ECR. I do not know who has the record. PK

I may be wrong but didn't we run the old chicane in '02? That would make any talk of comparative lap records difficult, given different track configurations.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

Bruce Shafer
05-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by its66:
Bruce,
I've noticed the same thing. My wife says it is just that I am getting older though. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif
Jim

That's what I'm afraid of. I sure feel like I'm getting a lot older these days.

How about Sebring next month? Will it be ready by then?
Jim

Sent the entry in today for June. (It's up on the CFR website).

------------------
#41 BMW E36 CFR/FR

charrbq
05-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Scott,
I don't know exactly what the lap record is or what chicane was used, but I believe that Gareth Rebstock owns it. He's out of town, but I'll check with him when he gets back. By the way, good win! Wish I could run with you, but I've got a lot to develop with my car...most of all, me.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

Catch22
05-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Being that it was our first time there, I'd be surprised if we really did get under the record.

We were busting ass to hit the road back to Georgia before the garages closed, so I didn't have time to investigate. Just "heard" a few people in impound saying that we might have been under the record. Maybe we were under the record for that chicane configuration???

Since it was an ECR it doesn't matter anyway. Its just nice to know for comparison purposes.

BUMPnGO
05-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Yeah...I think Rob may have gained a pound in the last 10 years when we were both racing 1st gen's...maybe time for some lypo. Still trying to get this FWD deal down since I switched to the "dark side" but definitely had a blast and a respectable finish even though my "crew" guy can't tell time, causing me an extra 30 seconds in the pits. We are working on it....."when the BIG Hand is on the 12 and the little.......lol

Denny Dowd
88 CRX SI ITA #18

charrbq
05-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Checked with Gary on the ITC lap record. He says he's been credited with it at a 1:34, but he doesn't remember what chicane configuration was run. You know how it is when you hit 60! He did say that he's heard of better times, but that he's still credited with the record. I'll say this, that 1:35 you put down for the first time there was plenty fast! See you at Atlanta this summer?

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

zracre
05-14-2005, 08:09 PM
1:35's??? wow faster than prototypes!!! lol

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

charrbq
05-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Okay, smart-ass! I messed with chemicals when I was younger! I meant 2:35 and 2:34. I'm just not use to racing on tracks that require much over a minute and change. I'm learning...plus, I'm old. Although, there have been people that claimed that Rebstock was capable of under a two minute lap at Daytona, but was sand-bagging.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

Catch22
05-15-2005, 11:37 PM
The videotape shows that I *finally* did the international horsehoe correctly when I did the 35. I also got a great draft out of the chicane on that lap, so I got kind of a break. Most of my laps were 36s.

We do plan to be at Road Atlanta in July for both the SARRC and ECR. See if you can get that old man with the blue car to come up and maybe we'll have a little ARRC preview race. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif
Assuming he doesn't sandbag again http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

charrbq
05-16-2005, 09:16 PM
I'll see what I can do. He's talking about doing the race at Roebling two weeks before, so he may only crew for me at Atlanta. Lord only knows I need all the help I can get. He tells me my car should be faster than his, but it sure ain't close. If you got the chicane good once, then you did it right twice as many times as I did.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

Catch22
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Get him to do the Road Atlanta ECR with you in your car. He can set a benchmark lap time for you and see how much improvement you need is you and how much is the car.

I did this a couple of years ago with a proven driver and it did wonders for my driving. He was about 4 seconds faster than me so I stopped looking at the car and started working on me. It was worth several seconds per lap and now I have people asking ME to drive their cars to help them benchmark.
I highly recommend it, plus I'd love to go up against you guys in an enduro.

charrbq
05-17-2005, 08:42 PM
I've tried it and learned a bunch (imagine how bad I used to be). Usually he qualifies the car for the Texas 6 hr., I go out and match his time, and he follows up by besting my fastest lap! When I can follow him on course, I learn a bunch. Trouble is, I never get to follow him for a full lap...sometimes only a couple of turns. lol Sort of like following you. I'll see if he wants to do the enduro. My one time trip last year in Evan's car was not a good thing. Never having raced Atlanta, and driving a totally different car was one of the stupidest ego trips I've ever taken. Not recommended for the meek.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic