PDA

View Full Version : Need a good shop in Raleigh NC Area

Ron Earp
08-20-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm in need of a good shop to weld my differential for me. I took it to T-Hoff, at the recommendation of some folks, but they act like they don't know what to do with it. I dropped it off with Billy, who called someone else to find out how to do it, and that is where it stands now. In fact, they are wanting me to come up with a "plan" of what to do, and about the best I can tell them is pull it out, and weld it together so both sides spin together.

To me it isn't that big of a deal - weld the spider gears up so that both sides turn as one - essentially turn it into a solid axle with a ring gear on it. Of course, take precautions to remove bearings etc. so as not to burn those up during the process.

Does anyone know of a shop around who might know what to do with this thing? Thanks,

Ron

------------------
Ron
http://www.gt40s.com
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

chuck baader
08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Another alternative would be to have a spool made. I would also think some of the NASCAR guys in that area would send you in the right direction. Good Luck, Chuck

Mike Spencer
08-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by rlearp:
...Does anyone know of a shop around who might know what to do with this thing? Thanks,

Ron

I know a guy who has a shop off Six Forks Road. Custom Frames & Components. He mostly builds Hot Rods, but they do a lot of welding. It's just him and his wife. He says he would be happy to help you. Call Allen @ (919) 848-0171.

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 #60
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

Ron Earp
08-20-2004, 12:57 PM
I'll let T-hoff have it until Monday and then if they can't figure it out I'll call those folks. I think T-Hoff can do the welding, they just don't know what to weld. Those folks know what to do?

Ron

------------------
Ron
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica

Mike Spencer
08-20-2004, 01:09 PM
...Those folks know what to do?

Ron

They do MOSTLY Hot Rods. He's done roundy-round stuff as well as Road Racing. We only spoke briefly on the phone, but he seems to know exactly what you want.

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 #60

Ron Earp
08-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks Mike, Thoff just said they don't want to fool with it so I'll bring it up there next week.
------------------
Ron
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited August 20, 2004).]

Ron Earp
08-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Mike, Allen was a good suggestion and a really nice guy. I went to his shop, he had me in, then we spent the next couple hours welding the thing up and putting new bushings in the suspension. In between some other fellows dropped in and I worked on one guys Jeep.

If anyone needs welding done (except a cage, he doesn't do them) I'd definitely see this guy. Nicest you'll run into and very fair on prices, fairer than I've seen in the area.

Best,
Ron

Mike Spencer
08-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Mike, Allen was a good suggestion and a really nice guy. I went to his shop, he had me in, then we spent the next couple hours welding the thing up and putting new bushings in the suspension. In between some other fellows dropped in and I worked on one guys Jeep.

If anyone needs welding done (except a cage, he doesn't do them) I'd definitely see this guy. Nicest you'll run into and very fair on prices, fairer than I've seen in the area.

Best,
Ron

Ron,

Glad it worked out. I've known Allen for a long time. Wouldn't have expected anything less!

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 #60